New member from the East

JU570

Oct 22, 2013
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike

Hello all,

I have just adopted a beautiful 3 year old British Bulldog yesterday named Spike.

My family has had a number of dogs before and still have three. My family has never been the best in training/disciplining dogs, we have just been very lucky, especially with the current three. As such, the weekend before adopting Spike, I have been watching a lot of the Dog Whisperer to learn the basics, of how to dominate, be the pack leader etc. When I met Spike, I did most of what Cesar Millan 'taught' me and everything seemed to work very well. Spike listens to me when i redirect him from bad behaviors, he's great on the leash (his natural calm temperament helped this a lot though to be fair), he's not excited by other dogs or humans etc.

Spike did not come from a kennel, but instead from a loving family of 5 whom had to give him up because the youngest daughter of the family developed major skin allergies. So I picked him up literally only yesterday and I realised he is VERY attached to me, almost immediately after I took him home. He only follows me around, gets up and ready every time I look like I am getting out of my chair, and cries whenever I am out of sight, even if only to the bathroom. Now this is all very sweet and I am loving it, however practically speaking this would not be able to last long as I live in a very busy city. I can't possibly be his only handler - other family members will have to take over and take care of him from time to time if not for most of the week when I am at work or when I have other obligations. I really want him to be able to socialize and at least be interested in my other family members. Is there any way to change this? He doesn't cry long when I am not around, usually within a minute or so, but he does look for me a bit everytime I am gone until he's certain he can't find me. Should i try to leave him with my family members more and get out of his sight more in order to 'train' him to not be so dependent on me?

Finally, he's not neutered yet and from the first day I met him (last week before I adopted him), he had tried to hump me. He is gentle hence he does not do it often and when he does it is very easy to redirect him and he does not persist. Will this be the potential root of the problem? Is his instant attachment to me driven by his possible sex drive towards me? If so, will neutering help (we are going to neuter him for sure as we believe it makes them healthier)? Also I am aware that if you neuter a dog at a certain 'state' they will stay in that 'state' forever - which would not be helping the situation!

Sorry for the very long post but this attachment issue (I really hate to call it that but for the reasons raised above) will be a problem in the long run and I want to address it as soon as possible before he gets even more attached and used to me. He is such a great dog and I want him to live a very happy life with my family and not have any mental obstacles like separation anxiety whatsoever, please help! Thanks!

Last but not least this board is great and I have already learnt a lot from it, looking forward to contributing more! Please see some pics of Spike below, he would like to say hi!

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:smileywelcome: Justin & Spike to EBN!!!
I may be able to answer some of your questions... I have always taken my dogs to puppy training, but obviously Spike is older. You might be able to find obedience classes, or watch videos to work w/him on the basics. Many members here do their own training & they are amazing!!! As far as your other family members are concerned, I would just let them do some of his care... the feeding, brushing, playing w/him. He will warm up to them in no time :D I always let my kids feed our dogs, so they realize who the pack leaders are immediately. I don't have any advice on the neutering, I'm considering it for my Winston soon. Many people on here have different opinions regarding that, so I would just do as much research to make an informed decision. Spike is adorable, is he a purebred?

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Welcome!! This is a great site! I have no advice but i'm sure some of the others with more experience will be along to help as well! Just wanna say spike is very handsome!!

OP
J

JU570

Oct 22, 2013
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks for the reply ddnene! I appreciate you advice about letting other family members do some of his care as that's what I have been doing this second day of him joining the family - I will keep that up.

Re neutering, interesting a development happened right after I posted my first post. Spike, for the first time in two days, walked away from me on his own...only to another room to find two huge teddy bear dolls which he obviously had his eyes on long ago to mount! So perhaps that is really his driving force and hopefully neutering him would change his attachment issues. Members please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I have no idea if he's a purebred, although I do think he is very handsome even if I say so myself :D. The previous owners bought him from a pet shop which is generally a no no in Hong Kong as most local pet shops and local breeders here are very inhumane! Not sure about the pet shop he came from though, and thanks for the comments!

OP
J

JU570

Oct 22, 2013
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks for the warm welcome and compliment jlcox24! Happy to be here!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Welcome to EBN! Spike is gorgeous! I think you are the right path with your training. Our bullies can become very attached to specific members of the family but do very well with other members as well. Neutering may help with the attachment issues but it could be since you haven't had him for very long the he is fascinated by you and craves that dominating persona that you are providing him. Our EB is not neutered yet but we have never run into the humping problem.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Welcome Justin and Spike! I have to say when I first say your post and read New Member From The east I thought great another New Yorker! But I see you meant further East than that! I think having had Spike only 2 days hes adjusted very quickly to the move. Im sure in time hell be better with other family members as they take care of him, pay attention to him, and walk him also. As for neutering Chumley is 3 and I haven't neutered him yet. Ive read so much on the benefits of it but i just cant seem to be able to schedule it!. Good luck..Spike is a very handsome bulldog!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Welcome Justin and spike! You'll get all the advice you need over here!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
J

JU570

Oct 22, 2013
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thank you all for the kind replies, you all got very cute bullies too!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Welcome Welcome Welcome, well I can't give much advice just put my two cents in but he has had a lot of change recently and his attachment to you (humping issue) could be from over excitement, dominance or nervousness because of those changes. Bullies don't do well with a lot of change and tend to be a little OCD! Your baby is VERY handsome!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. You have been given some great info by those above me so there isn't much else that I could add.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN, Justin & Spike, so happy you've us and exciting
you're from Hong Kong, looking forward to your postings.

GOD bless you for adopting Spike & providing a loving, caring home.

He is a very handsome bully and has a beautiful coat & clear eyes,
looks healthy...what are you feeding him? You'll find very helpful
articles under Forum on everything bully.

I'd suggest educating yourself on neutering, the pros & cons. From
your description of him, I myself would not neuter him. Humping is
not always sexual and he's still adjusting to you & his new home. As
he adjusts, he should relax on his attachment/separation issues ALTHO,
for a bully (they hate change) Spike seems to be doing very well.

Lucky you, Spike ROCKS...I'm envious! Again...WELCOME.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome!!! Spike is soooo cute, I'm glad he's with you and your family now, obviously a very lucky boy to have a family that cares so much for him already.

I agree with the others, sounds like you are on the right track. At his age neutering may or may not help the humping. That's going to have to be a personal choice, it surely won't hurt but won't necessarily help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: Justin and Spike! I really think you're on the right track with this boy. My heart breaks for him, losing the family he loved--especially one with kids. That may be why he was so attached to you. I know our rescue has to be in the same room with one of us all the time (she's sleeping on my left foot right now). God bless you for taking this sweet little guy in to your home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN... So glad you found us and happy you gave Spike a happy new home. You have great advice from the group and you seem to be going in good direction with him.

best of luck and look forward to more pics and getting to you know both

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online