Hello from VA

MomOfBessie

Oct 6, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bessie
Hi all, I have been lucky enough to be a bully mom for a long time now.. but now my Bessie is 11 years and 7 months, and I am seeing the aging process take over my baby way too fast these days. Has anyone else here had experience with an aging senior bully? My Bessie is very rapidly going from occasionally her back legs taking awhile to give her firm footing when she wakes up, to where more times than not we are having to carry her out to the yard to take care of business. She is also almost completely blind.. most of her moves around the house are done by memory alone so we have to use caution to not move things around on her. I am really hoping I never have to make the dreaded decision with the vet (as everyone else I would rather she her go peacefully in her sleep) However I do not ever want her to suffer in pain either. We have a check up with vet next week where we will again address these things, but short story long now lol, I was hoping to find others on here that have been through this stage of life with their bullies??

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN, I'm sorry you come to us so concerned with issues of aging
with your beloved Bessie. What a great job you've done to have had her such
a long time, good for you! I know there are some great supplements that help
and there will be more experienced members to come along and give names.

Just wanted to say hello and glad you & Bessie have joined us. GOD bless!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Welcome to you and Bessie, Wow 11 years that is great age for a bully would love to see some pics, however I have my first bully:), so cannot help you with an old bully but I am sure many experienced members will. I have had an old blind dog border collie, we had her put down at 13 years old, the vet said " you just know when it is time" and "when you are starting to feel sad and sorry for her, you know time is coming close". It is the hardest decision, but I based it on her happiness, she just did look happy anymore barely wagged her tail and was struggling. Hope you get heaps of advice and tips.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. I wish I could help you but my bully is just a baby at 5 months old. However, I have had to deal with several other breeds in their senior years and and went through much of what you describe. Sadly I was not able to let any of mine go on their own and had to make the tough decision as over the last several years one started having daily strokes at the age of 13, my boxer had painful kidney and liver failure and most recently my beloved ridgeback had inoperable cancer. We couldn't let any of them suffer but all of them are together now.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
:smileywelcome: to you and Bessie! Aging is so hard, but it sounds like you are taking very good care of your bully and this is a great site for info so you will find wonderful answers here!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN..... you have obviously done great job caring and loving her that she is almost 12!! My girl just turned 8 yrs old so I do not have experience with a Bulldog at Bessie's age. I will tag a few members that might be ably to help

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to the site. It is hard to see the ones we love age. You have been blessed to have her for almost 12 yrs. I hope you can put her on some supplements and have her for a bit longer.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome to you and Bessie, reading your post makes my heart break :(

You love her and she loves you, trust in yourself to do what you can and know she trusts you to make the right choices for her if needed. :hug:

I know many rescues with older seniors/hospice opt to use puppy pads - or actually adult assurance pads - so they don't have to go out several times a day anymore, especially when they start to lose control of their bladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello and welcome. I think number one, that you have been so lucky to have your baby for so many years. Unfortunately, that is an average/above average life, in a dogs life
.when their age catches up with them. I wish I had an answer that you really wanted to hear.
There are some meds.(such as Rimadyl) that can help with arthritis. If you have a good vet, he would know if any arth/pain meds will help your Bessie be more comfortable. As the Dr. said-"you will know when the time is right". I have been through this more times than I care to think about. Their are "lifts" that you can put under her, with handles on top, so that you can assist her in getting up, and walking.It is a difficult thing to see your loved one coping with the difficulties that aging brings-but you will have to put aside YOUR wants, and you will know when her "quality of life" is no longer tolerable for her. The best thing you can do is love her, make her as comfortable as possible, and SHE will let you know when she is ready to cross the Rainbow bridge. I am sorry I can not give you a formula for her to stay forever-the only formula is: LOVE,LOVE LOVE, and you will see it in her eyes, and you know her well enough that she will let you know when it's time to let her go. WE want them to stay, but sometimes letting go IS their wish. You will do the right thing by her when the time comes,her pain will be relieved-yours will begin.
Your vet may have some things that can help her rest easy, and you may have MORE time with her! Do not give up-too easily! But her quality of life is the key to your decision. Praying for you and your Bessie. I always had to think HOW LUCKY I was to have them with me, all the years I did. GOD Bless you.......

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
If there isnt much wrong with your girl and she is not suffering -then i think all of you can make rest of her life as comfortable as possible ,as you already got great advice regards meds and stuff you could give her for her limbs i thought i tell you a bit of my experience with a blind dog
you can see through blindness - i have fostered a blind pittbull over 10 years ago ,and to help him know when we are around or moving to other room we where wearing bells on our ankles -i diy it , dog eventually would be able to follow , other senses will be stronger when she lost her eyesight
Also you could fill a plastic bottle with rice etc close a cup and you could throw it for her
Mapping -or learning how things in your house are set up its quite an easy process for the dog
They are capable to learn it quite fast
Also what i found handy is baby safety corner protectors -stops them injuring their eyes etc
Go down on the floor and try to look at your room from dog point of view and look and remove anything than might be a trip hazard ir harmful -makes it easier for them and us
I loved this boy ,and i wanted to adopt him so bad ,but he found great family that loved him from the first time they saw him ,and i could help another (this time with cut of back limbs) dog that i had to carry until we managed to collect money for the cart ,4 story down for a pee lol)

You will know yourself when its time for her to go ,it is one f toughest decision we have to make - and i see it also as our duty for them ,for all the love and affection they gave us for all those years x

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are an inspiration to us all! Almost 12 is incredible! You obviously know what you're doing. Thank you for joining. :welcome:

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Welcome to an absolutely awesome forum. I can't help with an aging bulldog Gunny is only 5 1/2 months) but I just wanted to say "welcome"!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Welcome here. Three bows to you for such care of your beloved pet. I'm sure you could help us all with what you have learned from your pet.

OP
M

MomOfBessie

Oct 6, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bessie
Thank you everyone for your support.. yes, I know I am so very lucky to have been blessed with her this long and hope to see her make it to her 12th birthday as well. I know her time is not here yet.. and I know in my heart I will know when it is.. we are just trying to help her cope as best we can. She has actually mastered the blindness quite well, using her memory of the paths to take in the house. It's us humans that have to remember not to rearrange anything as to mess her up. We actually see the vet later this week to address the pain issue as I want to make sure she has sufficient medications to keep her from pain. She actually still has times that she can jump onto the couch on her own, those times are definitely fewer and farther between but I think it is part of her stubborn bully personality that gets her there. And I will carry her outside however many times I need to.. she has been there for me I will be here for her. I have yet to meet anyone else with one the age of mine and hope to someday.. it would be nice to compare notes . I love seeing everyone's pictures on here.. so many beautiful bullies. Here is a pic of my Bessie and her buddy.. my son's kitten. B&C2.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bessie is a beautiful lady, and her picture with the kitty is so cute. He is her "teddy bear".

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.