new and needs help badly! :((

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Hi guys! We bought a new dog on 28/09 9-week old Bert, with 2 vaccines and 2deworm(according to his breeder but the medical record states otherwise). He was eating well until today . My mom told me that he vomited once and 8 loose bowel over the afternoon. She said (im away in saudi and mom lives in the philsppines)she didn't feed him anything weird however, could these factors contribute to this situation?:

a, he was fed 2x a day by his previous owner and we feed him 3x (owner said he is concerned about his weight but he is only a little over 3lbs)
b. we bought him a new cage where he have this water source and can drink a lot of whatever whenever he wants (could it be fluid overload?we were just giving him water after every meal in the past)
c. mom usually feed him dry dog food but today she decided to add a lil water and she thinks she soaked it for a long period

We were able to reach a vet however they told us to wait for atleast a day since it just happened 6 hours before. They said the dog might just be stressed or excited since its just been 3 days since he separated from his mom.

The vet instructed us to feed him boiled potatoes (mom is spoon feeding him)and add a spoon of brown sugar to his drinking water. I dunno if it's supposed to help in electrolyte replacement but my mom did it and doesn't see a lot of improvement.

we are a bit worried since this is the first time we would be taking care of a dog with this breed (english bulldog). my mom couldn't sleep because she is so worried.

Anybody experienced the same thing as this? Is it possible that the dog was already sick when we bought him?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and he may just have a little stomach bug. Hopefully it will pass soon. Plus you said he weighs 3 lbs.? I hope that is a typo, as he should weigh at least 8 to 14 lbs. at 9 weeks. Keeping water down all the time for a pup is a good thing. We never restrict water from our pups, and we feed them 3 times a day. I would give it a day or two to see if his tummy settles down and gets back to normal. Feed about 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day and slowly increase the amount as he gets older. I have a 20 week old pup now and we feed her about 3/4 to 1 cup 3 times a day. I also don't think he needs the sugar in the water either.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:welcome3:

I'm sorry your little Bert has been having some tummy issues. Did you by chance mean he weighs 3kilograms? His issues might be from the stress of a new home environment. Your mom maybe can make some plain rice for him and feed him a little bit of that b/c that will be easy on his stomach, and then re-introduce small amounts of the kibble if he responds well to the rice. Like David mentioned, i'd skip the brown sugar in the water...not sure about that one.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome. Could you possibly post some pictures of Bert? I think 3 pounds is really really small. Also what kind of dry food are you feeding him? Is he acting normal otherwise?

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
here's bert when we first got him berthappy.jpg got him, all happy and energetic

berthappy.jpgbertfat.jpg

Last edited:
OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
im pretty sure mom told me he weighs only 1.5 kgs.heres the sick bert photo. he can literally swim in his food bowl.sooo tiny :(

bert cage.jpg
bertsick.jpg

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN.... Bert is adorable and I agree with all the other advice from the members.

Good of luck hope he feels better soon and please keep us posted

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hello and welcome to EBN...Bert is a real cutie!

I'm uneasy about Vet's advice, many bulldogs (and dogs in general) react
badly to potatoes, especially white potatoes. It can cause yeast problems
in dogs sensitive to yeast & EB's are. Plain white rice can be fed with boiled
hamburger, if loose bowels continue, feed canned, plain pumpkin (not the pie
mix tho) about 1/4 of teaspoon 2 X daily. Water should be unrestricted so
that is good. At Bert's age, too much loose bowels can dehydrate him quickly
so let us know if it continues, there are other things to help but these will be
great to do right now. Most breeders feed puppies 3 X daily until 5 or 6 months
old then feed 1 & 1/4 x daily then at a year old, feed 1 cup 2 x daily. This is
based on feeding a nutrient dense food, what are you feeding Bert?

I will keep 'lil Bert in my thoughts, hugs to you & Mother for comfort & strength.

Please let us know about his progress!

B

Baxter Tiberius

Im going to go with the water.

Your pup should only be drinking bottled water. If you are giving him water from the "system" I see no reason why he wouldn't develop the same issues a human would get from drinking the water system water in the Philippines.

I have read a lot of reports of dogs having issues with water, and have been told always to feed baxter bottled water.

Not sure on all the dtails, whether its the chlorine or what, because growing up we just gave dogs whatever water came out of the sink.

In the philippines though .. different story.

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Hey guys! Thanks for all the support. I appreciate it,a lot! Just got off the phone with mom.and they went to the vet early this morning. The vet said he was really undernourished so he gave him.vitamins. im a lil bit frustrated with the breeder coz i think he jusy made up stories about 'bert could have a stroke' if he eats too much thing. He was also given a shot of antibiotics and the next doses would be given orally.the doctor said that it must be that bert is stressed due to his new place, he also mentioned that it could be due to him chewing his new cage and peeling off aome paint. Mom said he no longer have loose bowels and his playing like theres.no.tomorrow.after a week he will go back to the vet to see if things got better and he will have his 2nd deworm in case he gains a few lbs. Whe we got him. We gave him the same food as what the breeder is feeding him and we were giving him bottled water too. We were planning to get a shihtzu in december but since mom is really sad about 'not taking good care.of bert' she would no longer purchase another pup.
We are really2 glad the doctor did not say anything like this is fatal or theres.no hope.whew. again thanks guys

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Glad your baby is on a way to recovery, puppies should be feed 3-4 time a day (spread is small meals at the beginning as breeder feed him so little ,start feeding little but often ) , im concerned about his weight ,and thinking maybe he's younger than 9 weeks (much younger perhaps ?)
Didnt vet weigh him? ,while saying hes undernourished ,he should weigh him xxx

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Glad your baby is on a way to recovery, puppies should be feed 2-4 time a day , im concerned about his weight ,and thinking maybe he's younger than 8 weeks (much younger?)

Pati has a good point, does the Vet think he's 8 weeks old?

What food does the breeder have him on?

Antibiotics are hard on their system so young and kill off good bacteria along
along with bad bacteria. To help rebuild good bacteria, top his food with plain,
unsweetened yogurt or kefir (a teaspoon) and you can give him diatomateous
earth (DE) FOOD GRADE ONLY to kill worms & other internal parasites. Do not
let him breath it and sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon in food or in yogurt & serve.

Thanks for updating again and keep us posted, good that he's doing better.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww little baby, so sweet:heart: He looks so very young if I compare what mine looked like at 9 weeks. I got Boeboe at 6 weeks even (I know it's WAY to early but breeder wanted to get rid of her, so sad). Thinking of you guys hoping for a fast recovery for this cute little boy. I would question the breeder about his age, but he might just be a small baby:)

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Hi pati! Yes the vet weighed him and its the same as mom's. He is just 1.5kg. My mom mentioned that he looks a little younger than 9 weeks however his pcci paper (i think its the same as your akc) says he was born on july 21.

Hi carol! Seriously, yogurt is not a really popular thing in the phils so im not sure if i can find a plain one. Can i feed him flavored yougurts? If i can, should i feed him the whole cup?As for the kefir,ist the first time ive heard of it but will definitely ask mom.to look for one.

Xoxo,
Elai & bert

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Hey petra! Im glad to hear that boeboe grew up healthy inspite being away from her mom early. I really hope the same goes for our Bert. If he really is younger than 9weeks i hope he would be atleast of age to be taken care of away from his mom. Im really worried about the 1 week antibiotic treatment. Maybe hes a.lil too young for it(if the age on his papers is wrong)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey petra! Im glad to hear that boeboe grew up healthy inspite being away from her mom early. I really hope the same goes for our Bert. If he really is younger than 9weeks i hope he would be atleast of age to be taken care of away from his mom. Im really worried about the 1 week antibiotic treatment. Maybe hes a.lil too young for it(if the age on his papers is wrong)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.