Hello from London England !

Boyceboo

Sep 24, 2013
South East London / Kent
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Boo (double dice)
:D Hello everyone. My name is Amy. This is the first time myself and my husband Mike have ever owned a dog. Boo was born on the 2nd May 2013 and is getting big by the day.
When we first got Boo he was 8 weeks old. He appeared well when we bought him and came with all his pedigree papers, kennel club registered, jabs up to date etc, however after the first day he appeared very unwell, he spent the first 3 days in the Vets, dehydrated and unwell. On the second day he was sick and vomited up a 10inch worm!!!:bad:
We reported the breeder to the Kennel Club as the vet said the worm was very mature and he doubted that Boo had been wormed properly. Poor little fella could of died. We reported the breeder to the kennel club as this was a registered kennel club breeder, but nothing was done.

All in all we believe if we did not buy Boo he may not be here now, my husband and the children love Boo to bits, I admittedly love him to bits but I have found the dog smell hard to deal with. I have not owned a dog before and am pretty house proud so I have found it difficult to get used to the smell of dog, at first i was bathing him loads, changing his bedding every two days, frebrezing the house, plug ins, hoovering everyday etc but he still stinks :confused:I find now though I am accepting the smell, accepting that he is a dog and dogs smell of dog. I am trying to embrace him now and have started taking him out with me. He is a lovely boy though and to be fair has always slept through the night. My love for him is growing although he is naughty for me quite alot, always up to mischief but when Mike is home he behaves really well.

I look forward to getting to know everyone :tongue:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Amy, how exciting you have joined EBN...so much experience & knowledge
among these members, they really love bullies and willingly share all these
things and more with any that need help & advice.

Bullies can be stinky, have you ruled out yeast problems? If so, many have
found after bathing & rinsing soap out well, a final rinse w/white vinegar,
left in, can remove doggy odor & lasts awhile. After dog dries the vinegar
smell will go away. Use a plastic gallon pitcher, put 2 cups vinegar, fill with
warm water and pour over dog from neck down. You may lightly blot dry.

Again, welcome to EBN, please post pics of Boo when you can, GOD bless!

OP
Boyceboo

Boyceboo

Sep 24, 2013
South East London / Kent
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Boo (double dice)
Your baby is gorgeous and huge !!!!

Ahh thank you, I will try that the next time I bath him, it's funny because at first I was finding it hard to adapt to having a dog, I did not realise how much care they need and to be honest I was at work most the time and my husband had him, so I did not bond so much with him. But now I have resigned from my job to be home more with my three children and Boo and I are spending a lot of time together bonding I suppose, I do love him to bits and hope he becomes my little friend. Does your bully poo lots, because Boo does, the consistency of his stools are fine, but oh my gosh he goes about four times a day sometimes up to six. He is around 5 months old now and I feed him 3 times a day on a mix of kibble and tinned puppy food. I will upload some pictures, I'm trying to figure out how though, there are some on my profile but not showing up on posts......I'm rubbish with computers :-)
how is the weather there is Texas. Thanks for welcoming me , Amy

- - - Updated - - -

Your baby is gorgeous and huge !!!!

Ahh thank you, I will try that the next time I bath him, it's funny because at first I was finding it hard to adapt to having a dog, I did not realise how much care they need and to be honest I was at work most the time and my husband had him, so I did not bond so much with him. But now I have resigned from my job to be home more with my three children and Boo and I are spending a lot of time together bonding I suppose, I do love him to bits and hope he becomes my little friend. Does your bully poo lots, because Boo does, the consistency of his stools are fine, but oh my gosh he goes about four times a day sometimes up to six. He is around 5 months old now and I feed him 3 times a day on a mix of kibble and tinned puppy food. I will upload some pictures, I'm trying to figure out how though, there are some on my profile but not showing up on posts......I'm rubbish with computers :-)
how is the weather there is Texas. Thanks for welcoming me , Amy

L

Lucy-licious

Hi Amy.....nice to see a fellow Brit here xx I'm up near Manchester.
My boy Billy also came from a KC accredited breeder, but has been so poorly during his first year that I too dread to think what would have happened with him had we not brought him home with us. I too lodged concerns with the KC but nothing so far as I know was done. I love him to bits, probably more so because my poor baby boy always seems to be fighting one battle or another...some minor, some more serious.
The right food can be the solution to many Bulldog problems from smelling to ear infections. Get it right and you've cracked it. Finding that right food is another matter lol. Especially now while he's still on puppy food as their isnt that great a choice puppy food wise in the UK. When you swap food..look for a gluten/grain free choice. Most of the good brands have that choice...in general supermarket brands are expensive rubbish....go take a look in the pet store like Pets at home ect xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN!!!

The smell could be from the food you are feeding may be [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] can help find something.. she is also in England.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi and welcome :-)) we are in Wales ;-)) the more of us here the better x
This is by far the best forum so you are in a right place .-very informative and friendly

I recommend you arm yourself with a perfect puppy book -it will cover most of info for first time dog owners ;-))

wgwe5

Jun 12, 2013
West Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer aka "Fat Boy"
Welcome to the site! I had similar problems with the "dog" smell and when I got dozer on some good quality grain free food it helped a great deal. If it is yeast that you are dealing with, Malaseb shampoo has worked well for me but the right food is the most important thing .

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Welcome to EBN!!! So glad you joined the family. Food definitely can be a cause of stinkyness....Sheldon goes a couple times a day once in the morning and once at night he is pretty consistent. It really is all about food. We have gone through a few foods with Sheldon trying to find the right one for him. I think Merrick Whole Earth Farms is that food.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi and welcome. If I were you I would just browse around in the different topics here because there is a lot of great info to be found. A bulldog as a first dog can be quite daunting. I agree with all above though, I would get him on a great food. That will help with smell, amount of poop, and shedding.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online