Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Heels
    Likes (Received)

Default Any help appreciated.

So I recently fell into getting a bulldog. His original owner tragically passed away. I've always been in love with the breed. Problem is, I know absolutely nothing about how to care for them. I have a 4 year old male named Heels. What do I need to know? How much am I supposed to feed him, what are some general care instructions? Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any help appreciated.

Hi Christie, and welcome to you and Heels. So sad that his owner passed away, and bless you for taking him in. You will get so much in return, unconditional love and loyalty, cuddling, and stubborness, they have so much personality, and he will make you laugh or smile everyday. You will love this site, there is so much information, and many great people to ask questions of. The first thing you want to make sure of is that he's eating a good quality, nutritious food. Which brand of food is he currently eating? You can read the dog food ratings on the Home page, you want to feed a 4 star or better brand of food. A lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and also salmon. Many members on here feed their bullies Fromm's Beef Frittata. We feed both our guys the Fromm's Beef, as my female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon grains and corn. Fromm's Beef is grain free. Both my guys do really well on this brand, and we feed them 1 cup of kibble in the am, and 1 cup of kibble in the pm. We also give them natural extras such as we add 1 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble, this is really good for the probiotics, and digestion and boosts the immune system. We also give them salmon oil, which we put in their evening meal, this is good for the Omegas, it's good for their skin, and fur. We also put 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, there are all of health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood.

Benefits of Apple cider vinegar

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 09-24-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Links to articles added in place of text
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi christy! Welcome to EBN. Sorry to hear he lost his owner. .

Luckily he has you to care enough to find his needs! Bulldogs need to have their wrinkles cleaned and kept dry, check to see if there is a tail pocket (that's a cave under the tail but above the anus), and feed them a high quality diet that's good for their skin. At his age about 1 cup twice a day is average but depends on his weight and activity level.

We have many articles on our home page too, check out the bulldog learning center on the left side (just scroll down a bit)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

You've got a ton of advice -- and there's a ton more here. Just cruise through this site and you'll find lots of great information. Welcome to you and Heels. You'll find out that bulldogs are a unique breed -- not just the care and health issues -- but the "good" stuff...they are funny, loving, intelligent, clownish, obsessive, lovebugs...I could go on and on. You've taken on a lot, but you are going to get SO MUCH MORE BACK! The people here are great and you'll always find someone who can provide information and advice, and a whole host of people who are willing to share your anxiety and your excitement! So...WELCOME! Oh...and we LOVE photos of your baby!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

to EBN!!! You have been given some great advice above, but if you have any questions please ask away... Oh and please post pics!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear about Heels owner. You have been given the opportunity of a life time to experience unconditional love like never before. Just give Heels time to get to know you and get used to your environment. He will miss his owner and house, but he will come around to love you soooo much. Being owned by a bulldog has been the best experience of my life and I am excited for your journey.

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site! There isn't really much else of the "basics" to cover after that second post but as others have said, this is a great place for information. If you can't find the answer you are looking for just ask and I'm sure someone on here knows or has been there as well. Good luck with Heels! I'm sure it will be a rewarding experience for both of you!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi Christie.... to EBN and thank you for giving Heelz a new loving home! You already rec'd some great info and as the others stated,, there is plenty to learn and read within the articles.

GOOD LUCK and be sure to ask any question you may have -- one of the members will be able to assist in some way
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Hello and welcome. I'm not a pro but I feed mine twice at 8am and 3 and just a cup at each serving. Water always around. I do filtered water to avoid tear stains. I feed mine blue buffalo and it works well for us he is super healthy. Alot of people here feed Fromm. I just don't like not being able to buy it at the store.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site and you have some great advice above. Ask any questions you have tha tmay come up. Bless you for taking him in and he will give you more love than you will expect once he gets accustom to your home.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Christie and Heels, Thank you for taking him into your home when his owner passed away. You have been given some great advice above and we are always here to help with any issues you may have there is always someone who can help. There is just one thing we need and that is plenty of pictures of Heels.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for taking this boy into your home. He's probably grieving his former owner and the love you give him can help him through this. You will get the answer to your questions, plus much, much more here.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads