New Here....

magnolia

Sep 11, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
magnolia "maggie"
Hello,
My name is Sabrina and I have a 9 yr old bullie named Magnolia "Maggie"....I have only had her for 3 years so I am looking forward to some help on some sleep issues. She recently has started waking me up at 330 4am. She doesn't have to potty...of course she wants to eat but thats anytime...LOL...Not sure whats wrong with her...she starts to scratch, lick..etc..only started doing this about 4 weeks ago. She was on Steriods and antibiotics for her allergies but I stopped those a few days ago..Any advice would be great..thanks

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: Sabrina! So happy you found us. My first thought is definitely allergies. Could be Enviromental, many here have seen an increase in allergies right now. And..it ould be the meds getting out of her system. I will tag a few members..Snd I moved this post to your very own intro! That way it won't get lost!
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:welcome3:

My only advice would be to kennel train her at night for sleep time. I'd be worried that she'd get bored and chew or eat something toxic and damaging. A bored bulldog is a dangerous thing. Best of luck!

OP
magnolia

magnolia

Sep 11, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
magnolia "maggie"
Yes she definitely environment allergies. We live in the Atlanta area. She had staph infection from just going to potty and coming back in and scratching herself. she was on steroids but she had some seizures so I took her off of that and started basic Benadryll. Her hair is growing back and she is doing well. However I did switch her food due to I was on a tight budget from spending so much at her vet appointment. I put her on Purina one chicken and rice. I normally give her Natural Diet LID venison and sweet potato. I am thinking she needs to go back on the Limited Ingredient Formula.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Sabrina.... steroids mask the issue, so since she is off of them, the issue is still there. yes, get her back on her food... chicken tends to be an issue for most Bulldogs as do grains (rice, wheat, etc). I think once you place her back on her food and keep giving the benedryl, she will fall back into place.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yes she definitely environment allergies. We live in the Atlanta area. She had staph infection from just going to potty and coming back in and scratching herself. she was on steroids but she had some seizures so I took her off of that and started basic Benadryll. Her hair is growing back and she is doing well. However I did switch her food due to I was on a tight budget from spending so much at her vet appointment. I put her on Purina one chicken and rice. I normally give her Natural Diet LID venison and sweet potato. I am thinking she needs to go back on the Limited Ingredient Formula.

Hi, and welcome, If it were me? I'd want to get her skin and diet on track by putting her on a grain free diet again. I believe there's less expensive food that are grain free now. shop wisely there's been lots of recalls, 9 years old, wow !!! a lovely senior,
As for balancing her ph level, and getting her immune system back up and running, I'd give her a bath in Original blue Dawn in 1 cup of water just put a couple of squirts in the water. wash her up and rinse really well. Then in one gallon of water add one cup of white vinegar, pour over her and leave on, then dry with towel. you won't believe how clean she feels without having dry skin, and she'll smell great. I'd also give her a vitamin c tab and a zinc tab once a day with her food and a dollop of plain yogurt.
You should keep up the Benadryl too , for a couple more weeks or is she is scratching

Please keep us posted on her condition.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: You've already been given some great advice for starters, so I'll just add that we Hope to see some pics of the lovely Magnolia very soon!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi and welcome to EBN. You already got great advice from members above, and agree that her symptoms are definitely allergy related, and the best thing you can do is put her back on a better quality food, and boost her immune system by adding plain unsweetened yogurt to her kibble, and apple cider vinegar to her drinking water.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN....You have gotten sound advice so I'll just say "Howdy"!!!! :) Enjoy the website and feel free to join right in. ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi, and welcome, If it were me? I'd want to get her skin and diet on track by putting her on a grain free diet again. I believe there's less expensive food that are grain free now. shop wisely there's been lots of recalls, 9 years old, wow !!! a lovely senior,
As for balancing her ph level, and getting her immune system back up and running, I'd give her a bath in Original blue Dawn in 1 cup of water just put a couple of squirts in the water. wash her up and rinse really well. Then in one gallon of water add one cup of white vinegar, pour over her and leave on, then dry with towel. you won't believe how clean she feels without having dry skin, and she'll smell great. I'd also give her a vitamin c tab and a zinc tab once a day with her food and a dollop of plain yogurt.
You should keep up the Benadryl too , for a couple more weeks or is she is scratching

Please keep us posted on her condition.

First of all :welcome: to EBN ... and secondly, Sherry has given you some great advice there!!!

All I would add is that if she still seems restless during the early morning you can give her a melatonin tablet about half an hour before it's bedtime. You can pick them up at any drugstore in the "herbal/natural" section. They may help her sleep.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.