Just got a English bulldog, need advice.

kaylakhalifa81310

Sep 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dempsey
Hey, I just got an English bulldog today from a lady.. Unfortunately she had to give him up because she had recently lost her husband, she already had 2 other dogs and was going into surgery.. We ended up getting him for free.. She told us everything about the dog. But he's been breathing extremely heavy ever since he's gotten here.. Is this normal? Please respond..

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How old is the bulldog? Is he overweight? Where do you live, maybe it is too hot? Bulldogs cannot tolerate heat so maybe you can make sure he has fresh cold water or maybe offer ice cubes? Regardless, I would definitly plan a trip to the vet asap to have the baby evaluated. Are you familiar at all with the care he recieved before you got him? Anyway, thank you for giving the baby a home. Oops sorry I just re read your post that stated she told you all about him. Could just be stress. They are very OCD dogs and a new environment will definitly stress them out.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Bulldogs breathe heavier than other dogs often. But he is likely stressed. Most bully's are very attached to their humans. He has just lost his. It is traumatic for him and he'll need some time to learn you are his new family. Just try to be calm and give him lots of comforting affection. Offer water freely so he doesn't overheat. And if he starts coughing up a lot of phlegm you can loosen it up with some lemon juice squirted in his throat.

He also may not want to eat regular for a couple days. This is also a normal response from a stressed bully. Our Gracie didn't eat right for almost a week after we first got her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi. Thank you for giving him a new home.... Bulldogs can be very OCD. Therefore his world is changed and he is somewhat stressed. Keep him cool and just let him settle in. Just let him get a feel for your home and the people do not force him to interact just yet...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hey, I just got an English bulldog today from a lady.. Unfortunately she had to give him up because she had recently lost her husband, she already had 2 other dogs and was going into surgery.. We ended up getting him for free.. She told us everything about the dog. But he's been breathing extremely heavy ever since he's gotten here.. Is this normal? Please respond..

the previous comments are very very good, keep calm cool and collected, someone is usually here all the time. remember the fresh water, keep things quiet, sshhhhh. low noise level, use stainless steel bowls . feed a grain free food, when he calms down, check his nose rope and tail pocket, share pictures please. When you go to post, the third icon in from the right, put your curser over it and click on it. download pics from your computer there.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just left you a visitor message..you are way ahead of me. I think he could be stressed out. Bully's don't accept Chang very well. If you can keep it quiet and take things very slow with him, it will help. Let him feel safe and he should calm down. I'm glad you found us...remember, he feels your stress too. Give him a bit of time...and glad to have you.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I've had Chumley for 2 yrs and even the slightest change in his routine causes panting..if someone visits..if we put him in the car for a short ride..if its hotter an usual during hs walk. He'll ant a long time before he ges back to normal..litte things stress them out so I'm sure as Dempsey becomes more adjusted to hs new life hell be fine..in the meantime plenty of water and rest..and like others suggested a trip to the vet for a checkup.

OP
K

kaylakhalifa81310

Sep 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dempsey
Just got an English bulldog, need advice.

Hey, I just got an English bulldog today from some lady. Unfortunately she needed to give up the dog because her husband recently passed away, she had 2 other dogs and was going into surgery so we got him for free. She told me everything about the dog. From what she told me he's great but every since we're gotten home he's been breathing extremely heavy.. I'm not sure if its case he's not used to us and he's nervous.. I just told this isn't how he is gonna be breathing all the time... Pls help.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Just got an English bulldog, need advice.

Hey, I just got an English bulldog today from some lady. Unfortunately she needed to give up the dog because her husband recently passed away, she had 2 other dogs and was going into surgery so we got him for free. She told me everything about the dog. From what she told me he's great but every since we're gotten home he's been breathing extremely heavy.. I'm not sure if its case he's not used to us and he's nervous.. I just told this isn't how he is gonna be breathing all the time... Pls help.

I replied to your previous post honey, try to relax, keep him cool and quiet, leave him alone in quiet so he can calm down, give him lots of fresh water

OP
K

kaylakhalifa81310

Sep 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dempsey

Thank you so much.

OP
K

kaylakhalifa81310

Sep 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dempsey
Thank you guys so much. He actually isn't breathing as heavy. He's probably tired right now. But he's okay, thank you all.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thank you so much.

someone is here pretty much all the time, just let us know what's going on. if you can keep things quiet he will settle in and drink lots of water . use stainless steel bowls when you get a chance to get some. feed him a consistent diet of grain free food / there's so much info on this site, relax, kick your feet up and check out the forums, you'll learn lots in one sitting. any questions just ask away,
and Welcome to the site

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Like an infant they can feel your stress and frustration and will act accordingly so its really important to be calm and let him come to you. And thank you for giving a beautiful fur baby a home. Hugs and prayers and we are all usually hanging around here some where private messages come straight to my phone and I'm sure all of us who use tapatalk are the same Congratulations your adventures begin.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I've had Chumley for 2 yrs and even the slightest change in his routine causes panting..if someone visits..if we put him in the car for a short ride..if its hotter an usual during hs walk. He'll ant a long time before he ges back to normal..litte things stress them out so I'm sure as Dempsey becomes more adjusted to hs new life hell be fine..in the meantime plenty of water and rest..and like others suggested a trip to the vet for a checkup.

what jim said...........any change of any kind makes forde start panting...i'm sure he will soon calm down and fit right in.....you received great adviced above......i'm sure he wonders where his previous owner is.....just love him and you will see how special these babies can be :) thank you for stepping up and giving him a home...hugsssssss

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online