URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Here are the lab work results. I can't interpret any of it, except that it clearly says her cholesterol and platelet count are high.
What are y'alls thoughts?

View attachment 54791
Can y'all even read this? I can type it all out it its not legible.

I posted a guide to understanding your pets blood work around here somewhere. I think it's stickied?

Before I do this, I want to go on record as saying that I am not a doctor. I was given intensive training in reading lab results as part of my nutritional training. In order for me to work with vets I have to know what I am looking at to design the best possible diet for each individual animal. I've had no medical training outside of what I have learned on my own for my sweetie head.

That said, there are a couple of things that stick out for me. Glucose is on the low end of normal. Normal range is between 70 and 138. Maggie is sitting at 76. This is why I asked if the test was done on a fast or not, her blood sugar was a little low at the time of the test.

Everything in differential is nicely within normal range. These are your white blood cells and tells you there is no infection.
Like I said before, 100 over normal in platelets is not "very high". It's barely high and could be caused by anything. Platelets are for clotting blood and if they are slightly to moderately high it could just mean she got a bruise somewhere or maybe pulled a muscle.

Even her cholesterol isn't dangerously high. It's just a little bit high. Really high cholesterol plus really high platelets "could" mean there is a thyroid problem but that's not what I see here.

You said she was treated for worms. How long ago was this? She has a borderline low sodium to potassium level (Na/K). This would be normal if the treatment for worms was recent. A lot of the medications given for worms destroys the ratio and it takes a little while to normalize again.

I'm curious, did they take her blood pressure? When we go to our doctors, getting our BP checked is a normal part of the exam. But for animals it's not usually done unless requested or the doctor suspects something. And yeah... they charge extra for it :bitching:

I would wait a month and retest to compare the numbers, this time on an 8 hour fast to be safe. For the month between tests document everything! What she eats, when she eats. How much she drinks, how often she pees and especially the seizures. How often? How long do they last? Usually there are signs beforehand that tell you one is coming. See if you can learn those signs and try to stop it before it starts. There are also some extremely good supplements you can give her to help support and calm her nervous system.

But I don't see anything here that screams sick dog to me. It might just be that she's developed epilepsy. Epilepsy being the term they stick on seizures that they don't know why are happening.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I posted a guide to understanding your pets blood work around here somewhere. I think it's stickied?

Before I do this, I want to go on record as saying that I am not a doctor. I was given intensive training in reading lab results as part of my nutritional training. In order for me to work with vets I have to know what I am looking at to design the best possible diet for each individual animal. I've had no medical training outside of what I have learned on my own for my sweetie head.

That said, there are a couple of things that stick out for me. Glucose is on the low end of normal. Normal range is between 70 and 138. Maggie is sitting at 76. This is why I asked if the test was done on a fast or not, her blood sugar was a little low at the time of the test.

Everything in differential is nicely within normal range. These are your white blood cells and tells you there is no infection.
Like I said before, 100 over normal in platelets is not "very high". It's barely high and could be caused by anything. Platelets are for clotting blood and if they are slightly to moderately high it could just mean she got a bruise somewhere or maybe pulled a muscle.

Even her cholesterol isn't dangerously high. It's just a little bit high. Really high cholesterol plus really high platelets "could" mean there is a thyroid problem but that's not what I see here.

You said she was treated for worms. How long ago was this? She has a borderline low sodium to potassium level (Na/K). This would be normal if the treatment for worms was recent. A lot of the medications given for worms destroys the ratio and it takes a little while to normalize again.

I'm curious, did they take her blood pressure? When we go to our doctors, getting our BP checked is a normal part of the exam. But for animals it's not usually done unless requested or the doctor suspects something. And yeah... they charge extra for it :bitching:

I would wait a month and retest to compare the numbers, this time on an 8 hour fast to be safe. For the month between tests document everything! What she eats, when she eats. How much she drinks, how often she pees and especially the seizures. How often? How long do they last? Usually there are signs beforehand that tell you one is coming. See if you can learn those signs and try to stop it before it starts. There are also some extremely good supplements you can give her to help support and calm her nervous system.

But I don't see anything here that screams sick dog to me. It might just be that she's developed epilepsy. Epilepsy being the term they stick on seizures that they don't know why are happening.

:goodpost: [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you are a Rock Star!

Makes perfect sense in a way because with head tremors one of the theories is low blood sugar. She seems to be having head tremors and not seizures, so this is an interesting bit of info for sure. :detective:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
:goodpost: [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you are a Rock Star!

Makes perfect sense in a way because with head tremors one of the theories is low blood sugar. She seems to be having head tremors and not seizures, so this is an interesting bit of info for sure. :detective:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Interesting bc Mack's tremors don't seem to be blood sugar related, his seem to be triggered from excitement over food. For example when we were eating crunchy items. Popcorn, potato chips, pistachio nuts...wierd I know, but since then we dont let him in the kitchen when we are eating, and now even if we are snacking on the couch he doesnt notice...and doesnt have tremors. But for a few weeks they were very often. Weve also switched food several times and started ACV so I suppose those could also contribute to our resolution...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great Thread.

The good news about not being around EBN much these days is that you get to read these kind of threads from beginning to gratefully, deleriously happy end.

The bad news is that you cannot offer support during the crisis.
[MENTION=8534]PudgyMommy[/MENTION] thank you for taking the time to share your story. Keep up the good work.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online