URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh sweet little girl! I am so sorry you and Maggie are going through this! I can see why you are so worried as it seems scary she is going through that! Others have given great advice and I hope you can find something that works for her! I dont have much advice as Brutus had fly biting issues which was nothing like what Maggie is having! Prayers and positive thoughts for you both! Bless you for taking the time to make sure you are doing whats best for her :hug:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I haven't commented because I have no experience or advice. I am, however, a diabetic, and if my blood sugar levels drop too low, I shake and sweat and get ringing in my ears...which if I were a dog, might result in head tremors. Your story brought me to tears -- as did hearing of the help your co-workers are supplying. You are a great bully mommy. God will help you, I just know it. Know too, that you have a whole bunch of people whom you don't know who are sending love, prayers and good thoughts for you and your baby! HUGS!

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
More episodes last night..
I was hoping they were going away since most were so mild yesterday... but no, she was shaking the bed like a coin operated vibrating bed.. ha ha ha
Ok, so we went to the vet today...
I explained the history that I knew and gave her age, as I knew it... I showed them the videos.. They were quite shocked at the videos and acted as if they had never seen anything like it. They said they were pretty certain it was not seizures, but they had no clue as to what might be causing it. They also said that if nothing turned up at today's visit, the next step would be to a vet neurologist. I said I already knew that but wanted to check for the common before I look for the rare. I told them my concerns about thyroid, sugar levels, central nervous system disorders, dehydration, allergies, liver and kidney function, possible parasites and anything else I could think of. I also explained that funds were extremely limited and that I would probably not be able to afford vaccines today... they understood and didn't probe or judge about that, for which I was grateful. I also question about how skinny her middle is... They seemed unconcerned about that.. I asked why I could feel her spine and ribs so easily and they didn't have an answer.. just that her weight is fine (41lb) and that her fat layer is good and that it's just they way her build is.... ok, fine. So then they go out and come back with a lit of recommended tests (keeping budget in mind) and ask me what I want to do...
Blood work (more than what they usually do "in house" so it was more costly and would take 2-3 days since they have to send it out)
Urinalysis, for which they would have to perform a Cystocentesis (costly and invasive sounding)
Fecal test (no big deal)...
and Some Rx ear cleaner.. she might have a very mild infection in her right ear... I already have ear cleaner left over from Pudge.. and they weren't positive about the ear infection anyway. So I went with the blood work and the fecal test... I said I would do more but only if they would let me pay for it by cleaning kennels or mowing or something... they laughed until they saw I wasn't lauging... then it was just awkward and the subject was changed...
Good news.. the fecal test showed no signs of parasites or anything else unusual. I'll have to wait for the blood work, but I was sure to ask if I could have a printed copy of the results so I can post it here when I get it...
Here is what really irked me though...
The only physical touching (besides petting) was when they looked in her ears and listened to her heart.. no palpation of belly, head, neck, abdomen, lymph nodes, no looking inside the mouth or nose, no bristling of the fur to check skin condition or anything.. They never even asked me what or how much I was feeding her, only if she was eating and drinking normally. When I asked about hydration, they checked her gums and said they were moist enough and she seemed to be fine. When I asked about sugar levels and if they thought it would be a good idea to actually check her blood sugar levels at home, they said adult dogs (except for toy breeds) rarely have a problem with sugar levels and can even go a few days without food and still not show significant change in blood glucose (by this time, I have lost all confidence)... So, then I just accept that I will just have to wait for the test results and then find a new vet (already have one in mind, but he was still out for the holiday today)..

So, now a little good news... I also asked them to scan her to see if she had a microchip. This was just in case she was lost or stolen. When I got her, I scoured craiglslist and all missing and stolen bulldog reports to see if anyone was searching for her. I found nothing, but have always been a little worried about it in the wee back of my mind, mostly because I am so clueless about her history. Also I would want the same courtesy if my babies were seperated from me for any reason... As it turns out, she does have a Home Again microchip. (the 10 minutes they went to research owner or vet info for the microchip were the longest of my life) but no information has ever been registered to it. They even called Homa Again just to be sure... and Home Again said I could just register my information with her chip number... Yippie!

So, now it is just a game of "wait and see." My plans are to switch her from Fromm classic to Fromm 4star (a friend whose dog passed a few weeks ago is giving me what she has left over to try), feed her the same amout of food but spread it over the course of the day, suppliment with yogurt honey eggs and banannas, hydrate like crazy (she got sick of me trying to squirt water in her mouth so now I put a couple teaspoons of chicken broth in about 2 cups of water and it all dissapears like magic).

I have looked at all the links and read every single word of advice, suggestions, and encouragement... And I will keep doing so.. keep it coming. I am so greatful for the feedback, knowlege and support... I'll keep updating.
Maggie.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=8534]PudgyMommy[/MENTION] - very informative update! I like the plan you have laid out, and once the blood work is back a few member can help to translate it and maybe know something to help.

A new vet does seem in order, but keep in mind vet's are not nutritionist and tend to have limited interest or knowledge of dog food at all. Well, except for what they sell :stinkeye:

If you can get a picture of her from above, we can let you know about weight and food amount. But, being able to feel spine and ribs may not be an issue, but seeing them can be that she is a little under weight. There are a few petite Bulldogs here weighting under 45lbs at full growth so it is not uncommon.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I would question A vet that says he never saw anything like that in the video. Chumley has head tremors and I absolutely freaked out when they started. My first vet wanted to run all kinds of tests but I got a 2nd opinion..a bulldog savvy doctor who eased my fears, advised me its quite common in bullies,says he has seen it dozens of times, and told me not to waste Money on expensive testing that will probably result in no further answers. A treat will instantly snap Chumley out of his tremors so I don't believe his are a blood sugar issue..they stop as he's chewing on the treat so he can be distracted out of it..that doesn't seem to be the case with what you're experiencing. Praying for you and hoping it all works out without you having to give up your precious little bully! Good luck.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
HI, sorry I am late. I am soo sorry you are having to go through this and I agree with all the others before me. Lets try to figure this out and exhaust all other options before having to give her up. I am assuming her sodium level was wnl? Sodium being out of whack can cause seizures. I live in Washington but would love to help if I could any way I can.

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Ok, below is a pic of her from above... you can see she is very muscular, but skinny around the belly. A breeder I met by chance in a grocery store parking lot said it was just her build "like a triangle" he said... but I don't know about that... I am ok with her weight. My Pudgy was on the small side as well.... but I feel like she should be proportionate... That is why I questioned the thyroid or blood sugar issue. Hopefully the test results tell us something that will provide a little guidance.. Plus they will include info about liver and kidney function too.

As for today, we were very busy going to the vet and then going to work (where she gets love at every turn).. so she did not do a lot of napping.
She did have one mild episode while resting behind me in my chair. (the back half of my chair no longer belongs to me.. it is her spot) It only lasted about 2 minutes and did not even wake her up... So, I am curious to see how she does overnight... She is snoring like crazy at my feet as I type this... we'll see.

Note: I really don't want to discredit the vet. I have used them for years, knowing they are not "bully" vets. Sometimes we see the old man (owner) and sometimes we see other younger vets... Today I got a very sweet, but very young vet. I really just think she does not yet possess the experience of a seasoned vet. So, as the old man transitions out of daily practice, I will move on as well. If anyone wants to know the name of the vet clinic, please PM me. I am happy to provide it with a review, but don't have any desire to publicly slander anyone... especially since I am aware I may be a bit hypersensitive these last few days.

Maggie from the top.jpg

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
I would question A vet that says he never saw anything like that in the video. Chumley has head tremors and I absolutely freaked out when they started. My first vet wanted to run all kinds of tests but I got a 2nd opinion..a bulldog savvy doctor who eased my fears, advised me its quite common in bullies,says he has seen it dozens of times, and told me not to waste Money on expensive testing that will probably result in no further answers. A treat will instantly snap Chumley out of his tremors so I don't believe his are a blood sugar issue..they stop as he's chewing on the treat so he can be distracted out of it..that doesn't seem to be the case with what you're experiencing. Praying for you and hoping it all works out without you having to give up your precious little bully! Good luck.

Absolutely agree Chumley, We heard people spending thousands and got no answer, not sure how I would feel if it was happening everyday or more, we have been luckily only happened a few times but hated it every each time so know how @Pudgymummy would be feeling :-( We did something really exciting like car ride or walk, for distractions, as the treat thing never worked. Our vet said to us it is common in certain breeds and they just don't know what causes it, final.

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
doing something exciting???.. instead of just distracting... I never thought of it that way...
I'll try that and let y'all know how it goes... maybe using the laser pointer or vaccuum cleaner hose (her arch enemies that she must vanquish to saver her Mommy from certain peril... ha ha ha) or maybe just pick up my keys at tell her it's time for work (she loves going to work) That never fails to send her into fits running to the door, just waiting to go get in the car.... hmmm.. you have given me some new ideas...Thank you.

going to bed... will update again tomorrow.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I am a bulldog rookie compared to many on here but I would say she is thin in her abdomen as you state and by her shape would question some kind of deficiency. That is just the rn in my thinking, again I am a rookie. I sure do wonder what her chem panel looks like. She has regular stool? How much water does she drink?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you for the detailed update. I understand your point if view on the vet, hopefully she will someday be an excellent vet. I just hate having to pay the bills for the wrong answers! I pray that she has a good night tonight.

I would say she's a bit thin, she could certainly gain a pound or two, nothing drastic by any means. Here is an excellent photo of weight I found that I now keep on my phone! It's not a bully but it certainly shows the ideal weights.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378267242.677145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with Lisa .. I would say she is a bit too much on the skinny side. Not massively so, but she could certainly do with gaining a couple of lbs. :yes:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Sending prayers too!

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
I agree with the others she looks a little thin. Maybe she has a nutritional deficiency. Below is a pic of Holly, she's never missed a meal :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 60

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.