URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
She transitioned very quickly to the Fromm..(within a week or two) she just liked it better and quickly refused to eat the other food.. she has been on nothing but the Fromm for about 6 weeks now.. the hot spots were during the transition and during a very high pollen count out here.. my Weim had some troubles too.. the benedryl is now just to keep general allergies under control.. cuz once the hot spots start it is hard to get them under control.. I don't want them to start.. I also kinda guage how bad the dogs are having allergies by how much eye goopies and watering they have. If their eyes are good, I'll skip the benedryl... If their eyes are yucky, they get it... Today my boys are mowing and the dove hunters have been out in force... so the allergens are flying around like crazy.. I'll limit the outside time for all the dogs and give benedryl tonight..

I will try spreading her food out over the day. She doesn't get any additional protein besides her food and yogurt.. I thought about putting a dab of honey with the food too..

Also, I talked to Lisa (from here) and I am going to do some extra hydrating to see if that helps too... she has access to water at all times, but I am gonna get creative and get more fluids in her. Also, I am abuut to email her some video.

I did take the rawhide away... I don't ordinarily give them to her.. (Cato gets them cuz he can chew on the same one for days and days) I just tried it to see if it would distract her from the shaking.. As soon as the episode was over, I took the rawhide away.

Good News... some people from work, have all put together some money so I can take Mags to the vet tomorrow for an initial visit... Like I said before, Maggie goes everywhere with me and that includes my part time job a couple of days a week.. Everyone there loves her to death. The vet is near work, so I won;t have to figure out the gas thing.. I'll have enough to get to work and back with a detour at the vet... not sure how Ill re-pay my co-workers,.. maybe pick up some of their duties here and there.. I am so grateful.. and humbled

Keep us posted on what happens .. and yes try spreading out the food, and a little honey with her food certainly wouldn't do any harm!!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
She transitioned very quickly to the Fromm..(within a week or two) she just liked it better and quickly refused to eat the other food.. she has been on nothing but the Fromm for about 6 weeks now.. the hot spots were during the transition and during a very high pollen count out here.. my Weim had some troubles too.. the benedryl is now just to keep general allergies under control.. cuz once the hot spots start it is hard to get them under control.. I don't want them to start.. I also kinda guage how bad the dogs are having allergies by how much eye goopies and watering they have. If their eyes are good, I'll skip the benedryl... If their eyes are yucky, they get it... Today my boys are mowing and the dove hunters have been out in force... so the allergens are flying around like crazy.. I'll limit the outside time for all the dogs and give benedryl tonight..

I will try spreading her food out over the day. She doesn't get any additional protein besides her food and yogurt.. I thought about putting a dab of honey with the food too..

Also, I talked to Lisa (from here) and I am going to do some extra hydrating to see if that helps too... she has access to water at all times, but I am gonna get creative and get more fluids in her. Also, I am abuut to email her some video.

I did take the rawhide away... I don't ordinarily give them to her.. (Cato gets them cuz he can chew on the same one for days and days) I just tried it to see if it would distract her from the shaking.. As soon as the episode was over, I took the rawhide away.

Good News... some people from work, have all put together some money so I can take Mags to the vet tomorrow for an initial visit... Like I said before, Maggie goes everywhere with me and that includes my part time job a couple of days a week.. Everyone there loves her to death. The vet is near work, so I won;t have to figure out the gas thing.. I'll have enough to get to work and back with a detour at the vet... not sure how Ill re-pay my co-workers,.. maybe pick up some of their duties here and there.. I am so grateful.. and humbled

I am so HAPPY you won't have to be giving your baby up!!! I balled while reading your thread to my husband because I KNOW I'd feel the same way about my Sheldon I was looking at my bills last night to see if there was any way I could help. Reading this and all the help everyone is trying the put forth makes me feel so fortunate to be a part of this forum!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The shaking only starts when she is sleeping... if it wakes her up, it still continues... but they only start when she is asleep.

This is normally when head tremors begin -- is when they are in a relaxed state/sleeping. Banks is like this, her tremors only occur when she is waking or sleeping. We noticed with her - it is any change in her routine/schedule or her Daddy is away for any length of time. My b/f dog/house sits for friends of ours a few times a year for a week and while he is gone her tremors kick in

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Ok, so today has been a little better. Maggie still had 4 or 5 episodes, but all but one of them was pretty mild.
After talking to Lisa and reading all y'alls posts, I am feeling better. (btw, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] you are welcome to post the videos I sent, maybe they would be useful to someone once we get this figured out)
Anyway, I'll post tomorrow evening about how the vet visit goes... keep your fingers and toes crossed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, so today has been a little better. Maggie still had 4 or 5 episodes, but all but one of them was pretty mild.
After talking to Lisa and reading all y'alls posts, I am feeling better. (btw, @desertskybulldogs you are welcome to post the videos I sent, maybe they would be useful to someone once we get this figured out)
Anyway, I'll post tomorrow evening about how the vet visit goes... keep your fingers and toes crossed.

Best of luck.... please do keep us posted.

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
I agree about the blood - sugar thing. I would do that and see. I also switched my bully to Fourth Star Fromm food and she does amazingly on it - I never realized how much food plays into health until I began talking with people on here! I am so glad to hear you don't have to give her up right away. I sure hope to hear it is something mild causing the tremors such as change in routine/food etc! I wondered if you did give her up if that would just stress her out more and make them worse... so I am glad you are able to take her to the vet! I hope things all go well! Keep us posted!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... di...

After talking to Lisa and reading all y'alls posts, I am feeling better. (btw, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] you are welcome to post the videos I sent, maybe they would be useful to someone once we get this figured out)

I'll have to check my spam folder because they never came. So glad to hear they are getting better, will be waiting to hear about the vet tomorrow. Kudos to your colleagues too for helping you!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I found your videos! I uploaded this one to youtube. These are really bad ones, no wonder you are beside yourself with worry.

I am going to tag [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] to have her take a look to make sure they are head tremors.

http://youtu.be/gnaSrQhsrF4

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Maggie is so beautiful and you can see what a wonderfully sweet girl she is.

Your video just broke my heart, I promise I will be praying the cause gets dxed
and it is helped w/meds or diet or something, it's awful to feel so helpless as I'm
feeling right now to help Maggie or you but I can & will pray w/belief that GOD
will make a miracle happen. Also praying for YOUR needs too, dear friend.
:pray:

B

Baxter Tiberius

This is normally when head tremors begin -- is when they are in a relaxed state/sleeping. Banks is like this, her tremors only occur when she is waking or sleeping. We noticed with her - it is any change in her routine/schedule or her Daddy is away for any length of time. My b/f dog/house sits for friends of ours a few times a year for a week and while he is gone her tremors kick in
This is so interesting. The health issues I have been battling the last 15 months have been somewhat similar. Mine weren't seizures but definitely had tremors, shaking, and neurological abnormalities that would kick in right at the moment I would fall asleep, or in that in-between stage as I was waking up. The causes are unknown, but a lot of ideas were tossed out by doctors including (but not limited to) Cortisol abnormalities / adrenaline / pituitary abnormalities, gaba receptor disruption, central nervous system fatigue / immune system dysfunction. Obviously those are all over the place, but it was accepted to be neurological / inflammatory in nature. How did I treat? Rest. Stress reduction. Meditation. Diet changes.

@PudgyMommy
Have you given your pup healthy fats for most of her life? On a daily / weekly basis has she had ample doses of Omega 3's through olive oils, cod liver oil, salmon oil, or egg yolks? These things play immense roles in protecting and facilitating brain function, brain tissue formation, nerve myelin formation, and most white tissue activity in the body.

Kevin

Last edited:
B

Baxter Tiberius

Update - please read through this thread:

http://www.meetup.com/chicagobullies/messages/boards/thread/4971307/0

Note 1) that its common and 2) That there is a tie to blood sugar levels sometimes. This was mentioned by others here i believe in this thread.

This reminds me of another youtube video I saw while I was researching my own condition. There was a guy who had hand tremors... very bad ones ... and he wanted to show people how he could stop them. So he starts his video, and his hand is going crazy ... then he takes 1 sugar cube ... and waits about 2 minutes while sitting in a chair ... and suddenly you could see his hand completely stop shaking. He would need a few sugar cubes so the tremor would start to come back, and he'd take another sugar cube .... and it would stop completely.

They know very little about the brain. All the brain research has just begun in the last 2 years. So i expect a lot of these mysteries will be solved soon. But have you tried giving her a sugar dose and seeing if they stop consistently after?

Last edited:

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Sorry warning long post too!!!!! - Hi there, We know how you feel, one day we went out for dinner and did not get home to very late, doesn't happen that often, bazza was outside it was cold, I opened the door it was dark I could hear this funny noise when I let him in his head was shaking it, we panicked as Bazza had had an operation about 3 weeks before, bowel obstruction costed us heaps, so we were like here we go again, it was too late to ring the vet so we got on the internet and started to relax when we read about head tremors (they are very very common in Boxers as well so if you google Boxers and head tremours there is a lot of info). We tired everything sugar, treats, but they continued on and on for most of the night. Bazza did not seem to bothered we were more bothered. He seemed alert and responded, I believe that is the key information as it is the main difference between a seizure (and I have had a dog that had seizure's and he was out of it), the next day he was fine. We were hoping it was behind us, but it happened twice more and my husband took him for a drive in the car bang he stopped and the next time he did it we took him for a walk, bang he stopped, we couldn't work out what was causing them, as the different times of the day and night and different situations. He has not had any for months now, when we went to the vet for a routine check up we talked about it, he had heard of them, but all he said was that they have no idea why it happens and he was not concerned at all. 1. I am so glad you got on this forum lots of support and advice. 2. Don't give up yet as if it is head tremors there is nothing you can do about it and Maggie will be fine. Also be careful as when we researched on the net and we did a lot, some people were convinced to have all these tests, to be told that it was just head tremors, if your dog is alert and healthy and responds to you during them, no testing is going to help. We never had any type of testing done, he just gave him an overall check and questioned us about if he was alert and happy!!! Best of luck and please keep posting and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I just watched the video and it does look scary. Maggie is such a lovely girl. I am so happy for you that you don't have to part with that sweet pea and that your co workers were able to help out. You're in the right place here at EBN as there are so many bully experts. Thoughts and prayers coming your way. :hug:

Members online

No members online now.