URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Sorry to hear this, how heartbreaking...Have you talked to any vets locally to see if they may do a payment plan? I don't know maybe an option. I sure hope you are able to figure something out. Will be praying for you, your family, and your sweet girl.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
My heart is broken for everything you are going through. So very truly sorry, and I hope that this works out for everyone.
We have never met but please know that everyone on this forum is hugging you and thinking of you.....

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Last night she had several more episodes.. I just let her sleep (and snore) through the mild ones and just loved on her during the more active ones... It seem like it annoys her to be woken up by them.

Thanks for all the info so far..
@TexasCarol,.. thanks so much for sharing.. I am so sorry for your hardships, and greatful for your strength.. It helps to put things in perspective..Thank You.

I have tried everything I have read.. When the shaking starts, I have given her crunchy treats, honey, peanut butter, water, commanded her to sit, stay, jump, taken her outside,.. I even gave her a rawhide, which she loves but I never let her have cuz she end up trying to swallow them whole.. She is able to eat, drink water, follow commands, etc.. Her head does stop momentarily, but starts right back up again.. The rawhide helped the most..but her head would shake any time she wasn't actively chewing... once it was over, I took the rawhide back (which she pouted about).... I have video of several episodes but can't post it.. I can email it to anyone interested.

I did give her a Comfortis when we first got her. And I de-wormed her with SafeGuard. But the only medication she is on is a nightly dose of benedryl and pepcid to keep her allergies (and hot spots) under control. I also put a spoonful of yogurt in her food. No carpet cleaning (all tile), no pesticides except for the occasional wasp hunting expiditions (I always wash off any surfaces that the dogs might come into contact with afterwards).. She doesn't eat grass or plants. I only use baby shampoo and sometimes hotspot shampoo... I used vineger a lot when her hot spots began.. it helps but she walkes around smelling like pickles.. ha ha

My husband is trying to close out his 401K (something we were already considering to get us out of this financial quick sand).. we already have a loan against it so we can take another one.. only option is to close it out completely. But that takes time.
I have a friend whose vet lets her write post dated checks when she has a hard time.. I plan to call them in the morning (closed today)
I'll look into the humane society and other organizations for sure... and I'm gonna check out that link from Marine91 as soon as I post this.
I didn't think about Care Credit.. I doubt we'll be approved, but it is definitely worth a try.. Their application system is down until later today.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Seems like something is triggering them, just hard to narrow down what it could be. Any stress in the home or changes in her daily routine/food change/treats/ect?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Last night she had several more episodes.. I just let her sleep (and snore) through the mild ones and just loved on her during the more active ones... It seem like it annoys her to be woken up by them.

Thanks for all the info so far..
@TexasCarol,.. thanks so much for sharing.. I am so sorry for your hardships, and greatful for your strength.. It helps to put things in perspective..Thank You.

I have tried everything I have read.. When the shaking starts, I have given her crunchy treats, honey, peanut butter, water, commanded her to sit, stay, jump, taken her outside,.. I even gave her a rawhide, which she loves but I never let her have cuz she end up trying to swallow them whole.. She is able to eat, drink water, follow commands, etc.. Her head does stop momentarily, but starts right back up again.. The rawhide helped the most..but her head would shake any time she wasn't actively chewing... once it was over, I took the rawhide back (which she pouted about).... I have video of several episodes but can't post it.. I can email it to anyone interested.

I did give her a Comfortis when we first got her. And I de-wormed her with SafeGuard. But the only medication she is on is a nightly dose of benedryl and pepcid to keep her allergies (and hot spots) under control. I also put a spoonful of yogurt in her food. No carpet cleaning (all tile), no pesticides except for the occasional wasp hunting expiditions (I always wash off any surfaces that the dogs might come into contact with afterwards).. She doesn't eat grass or plants. I only use baby shampoo and sometimes hotspot shampoo... I used vineger a lot when her hot spots began.. it helps but she walkes around smelling like pickles.. ha ha

My husband is trying to close out his 401K (something we were already considering to get us out of this financial quick sand).. we already have a loan against it so we can take another one.. only option is to close it out completely. But that takes time.
I have a friend whose vet lets her write post dated checks when she has a hard time.. I plan to call them in the morning (closed today)
I'll look into the humane society and other organizations for sure... and I'm gonna check out that link from Marine91 as soon as I post this.
I didn't think about Care Credit.. I doubt we'll be approved, but it is definitely worth a try.. Their application system is down until later today.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

If it is not head tremors, she could be stressed sensing all your stress due to the family situation. What food is she on? Frequent hot spots tells me there is an allergy of some type and could also be a factor?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this. But help is out there so you may not have to part with your sweet Maggie. Your first stop should be Red Rover http://www.redrover.org/node/1198 They offer grants to people who rescue and can't afford expensive medical treatment.

The Humane Society has a list of resources by state that can also help. Here are the listings for Texas
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html#Texas I know it's farther than you would like but Texas A&M is probably your best bet. I can't think of a better place to get a diagnosis and treatment than a college. They also have clinics that you can go to for very low cost (if not free)

I am going to PM you some additional information that may be of help :)

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
No stress.. asside from the financial stuff, other things have been getting better. I feed her Fromm Family Classics.. The hot spots are under control.. she had them while transitioning from the food that came with her... she still gets little tiny spots now and then, but nothing like before.. the benedryl at night is mostly preventative and seems to help a lot.. she used to lick and chew her front feet a lot, but yogurt in her food and the occasional vinegar rinse has remedied that.. making sure he feet are dry after walking in wet grass in the mornings helps too. A couple of weeks ago, someone gave me some salmon jerky treats that their dog didn't like.. I noticed that those upset her tummy and she would vomit it back up.. so no more of those.. I have some other salmon treats, but have not given her any just in case she is allergic.. the other dogs love them though, so they don't go to waste... the only treats she gets is peanut butter... about a tablespoonful every night with her benedryl.. all the dogs get a glob of peanut butter at bed time and they will not go to bed until they've had their yummy.

She is also kinda skinny in the belly area... Her legs and shoulders and chest are very muscular but her belly is so skinny... I though the de-worming would help her put some weight on.. and it did, a little.. She went through her heat cycle (wears a diaper like a pro) so I thought she would put on weight when that was over.. and she did..but is still thin and seems to be losing the progress and weight she had put on... that's also why I worry about an underlying condition..

The shaking only starts when she is sleeping... if it wakes her up, it still continues... but they only start when she is asleep.

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION],.. thanks for the links... checking them out now.. actually College Station os not too far.. about a 40 min drive
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], I have actually watched that video already.. The whole article on this site about the head tremors really helped bring down the panic level when this all started and helped to consider that the issue and not jump to the seizure conclusion... And yes, that is very similer to what my Mags does.. only hers are much more pronounced.. I've taken several videos, I'll email it to someone if they can post a video

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I live in Fulshear, west of Houston, and don't know of anyone looking at the moment, but I will keep my ears open. Jen and Mandy at EBRN Houston are great people and may take her if you run out of options. I have their numbers if you need them. I have a full house at the moment so I can't take, plus going out of town next weekend. Keep in touch and let me know how it is going, and like I said we can contact Jen or Mandy. The other thing is throw that rawhide away, as they are bad news for bullies.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@Twice,.. thanks for the links... checking them out now.. actually College Station os not too far.. about a 40 min drive
@kazzy220, I have actually watched that video already.. The whole article on this site about the head tremors really helped bring down the panic level when this all started and helped to consider that the issue and not jump to the seizure conclusion... And yes, that is very similer to what my Mags does.. only hers are much more pronounced.. I've taken several videos, I'll email it to someone if they can post a video

That's what I hoped you would say, and after reading the articles we've all mentioned on here then you must know that it is not something that can be treated. We just need to focus now on what is causing them. I'm sure you already know that there are two thoughts on what causes head tremors. The low blood sugar is one thought. So you may want to consider taking her total meals for the day and start splitting them into 5 or 6 smaller meals so that if it is low blood sugar then there will never be enough space in between meals for blood sugar to drop below a certain level. You may even want to add a little more protein to the meals because that can have a much more steadying effect on blood sugar than carbs and veggies etc.

Also, you said you had her on Fromm. How long has she been fully on it and have you switched the protein source recently??

Now on to another thought of what causes them. Stress, over-excitement, anything that brings her into a heightened state. So you need to take into consideration her surroundings. Has something happened or changed that could be freaking her out at all??

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Just another thought .. you say she is on Benadryl and that you are still battling with hot spots??? If that's the case then there is a high likelihood that the food she's on isn't quite the right one. Could that be causing the head tremors. Well, let's just say that before discovering EBN I had Maggie on beneful and knew no better. They head tremors disappeared with the Fromm food. Could be a coincidence but I'm not convinced that is the case!

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
She transitioned very quickly to the Fromm..(within a week or two) she just liked it better and quickly refused to eat the other food.. she has been on nothing but the Fromm for about 6 weeks now.. the hot spots were during the transition and during a very high pollen count out here.. my Weim had some troubles too.. the benedryl is now just to keep general allergies under control.. cuz once the hot spots start it is hard to get them under control.. I don't want them to start.. I also kinda guage how bad the dogs are having allergies by how much eye goopies and watering they have. If their eyes are good, I'll skip the benedryl... If their eyes are yucky, they get it... Today my boys are mowing and the dove hunters have been out in force... so the allergens are flying around like crazy.. I'll limit the outside time for all the dogs and give benedryl tonight..

I will try spreading her food out over the day. She doesn't get any additional protein besides her food and yogurt.. I thought about putting a dab of honey with the food too..

Also, I talked to Lisa (from here) and I am going to do some extra hydrating to see if that helps too... she has access to water at all times, but I am gonna get creative and get more fluids in her. Also, I am abuut to email her some video.

I did take the rawhide away... I don't ordinarily give them to her.. (Cato gets them cuz he can chew on the same one for days and days) I just tried it to see if it would distract her from the shaking.. As soon as the episode was over, I took the rawhide away.

Good News... some people from work, have all put together some money so I can take Mags to the vet tomorrow for an initial visit... Like I said before, Maggie goes everywhere with me and that includes my part time job a couple of days a week.. Everyone there loves her to death. The vet is near work, so I won;t have to figure out the gas thing.. I'll have enough to get to work and back with a detour at the vet... not sure how Ill re-pay my co-workers,.. maybe pick up some of their duties here and there.. I am so grateful.. and humbled

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm very late to this, and I have no other advice than what you've been given. I do lean to the head tremors. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] is telling you about. These aren't life threatening and if you can find her trigger and a way to dispel them, it should be manageable. And maybe go to the Four Star line of Fromm? I believe you said she is on the Classic? Just a thought..food is such a big deal. Thank you for trusting us enough to share your story. As you can tell, there are so many huge hearts here..wishing you the best.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.