Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 85 to 94 of 94

Thread: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

  1. #85
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Quote Originally Posted by PudgyMommy View Post
    Here are the lab work results. I can't interpret any of it, except that it clearly says her cholesterol and platelet count are high.
    What are y'alls thoughts?

    Attachment 54791
    Can y'all even read this? I can type it all out it its not legible.

    Before I look any further, was this test run on a 12 or 8 hour fast?

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

  2. #86
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Before I look any further, was this test run on a 12 or 8 hour fast?

    First of all just SO pleased that there has already been signs of progress in the right direction!!!!!


    Secondly, can't wait to see what @Twice makes of the result .... Bev is "awesome on a stick"!!!

  3. #87
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11519

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Quote Originally Posted by PudgyMommy View Post
    @desertskybulldogs I will definitely post an "after pic." I am certain there will be a difference. @traceylynn172 That is just how it is with Maggie. During the shakes, I have tried giving her honey, peanut butter, and even letting her chew a rawhide. During the actual eating or chewing her head would be still. But as soon as she was done it would start back up again... With the rawhide, her head would bob if she wasn't actively chewing.. like if she paused to rest her jaw or change her grip on it or something... And they lasted anywhere from 2-15 minutes.. ususally closer to 15 than 2.

    However, after making sure she gets more water and changing her feeding schedule and supplimenting with honey, bannanas, eggs and peanut butter, she has only had 2 or 3 episodes. and they have only lasted a few seconds. I can not believe the difference.

    Here is her new schedule...
    around 7am - 1 scrambled egg, 1/4 of a bannana, and a squirt of honey. I put water in her bowl just before she is done, that way she has to drink the water to get to the rest of the food.
    around 2 or 3pm - 1/4 of a bannana and a bowl full of water with a little chicken broth added (its the best way for me to make sure she will actually drink all of it)
    around 5 or 6pm - 2 - 2 1/2cups food with 1 glob of yogurt and a squirt of honey
    around 10pm - a spoonful of peanut butter (with a benedryl if I feel she needs it) and a bowl of water (again with the broth)

    I will probably start adding kibble to breakfast and subtracting a little from dinner,... but a little at a time.
    She has water available at all times, but I notice she does not drink as much as the other dogs (or as much as my Pudge used to) So, that's why the "special water"

    So far, So good... She is completely spoiled rotten

    Anyway, I got a call from the vet today. They said her test results showed nothing that would contribute to her head tremors and that the next step is a neurologist.
    I will pick up the results tomorrow on my way to work and post them here for y'alls opinions..

    For now, I am soaring! My baby is not in any immediate danger, she is happy and.... so far at least, I get to KEEP her!!!

    ABSOLUTELY BEYOND over the moon in happiness for you and your baby!! Keep us updated and this is so freakin AWESOME!! Great, great work Mama!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #88
    Pooper scooper PudgyMommy's Avatar
    Location
    Waller, Tx
    Posts
    49
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    @Twice
    They didn't tell me to do any fasting with her... she had an egg, 1/4 bannana, an orange slice, and about a teaspoon of honey around 7 am.. the blood was drawn at about 11:30am.

  5. #89
    Pooper scooper PudgyMommy's Avatar
    Location
    Waller, Tx
    Posts
    49
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    @Twice... I take that back (I am getting my days all mixed up and don't have her journal with me)..
    She only had an egg that morning

  6. #90
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,729
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5588

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    I just want you to know I've been reading this thread, and I'm so amazed at the amount of support & love on here!!! I have nothing to add, but I've been praying for sweet Maggie...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  7. #91
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Quote Originally Posted by PudgyMommy View Post
    Here are the lab work results. I can't interpret any of it, except that it clearly says her cholesterol and platelet count are high.
    What are y'alls thoughts?

    Attachment 54791
    Can y'all even read this? I can type it all out it its not legible.

    I posted a guide to understanding your pets blood work around here somewhere. I think it's stickied?

    Before I do this, I want to go on record as saying that I am not a doctor. I was given intensive training in reading lab results as part of my nutritional training. In order for me to work with vets I have to know what I am looking at to design the best possible diet for each individual animal. I've had no medical training outside of what I have learned on my own for my sweetie head.

    That said, there are a couple of things that stick out for me. Glucose is on the low end of normal. Normal range is between 70 and 138. Maggie is sitting at 76. This is why I asked if the test was done on a fast or not, her blood sugar was a little low at the time of the test.

    Everything in differential is nicely within normal range. These are your white blood cells and tells you there is no infection.
    Like I said before, 100 over normal in platelets is not "very high". It's barely high and could be caused by anything. Platelets are for clotting blood and if they are slightly to moderately high it could just mean she got a bruise somewhere or maybe pulled a muscle.

    Even her cholesterol isn't dangerously high. It's just a little bit high. Really high cholesterol plus really high platelets "could" mean there is a thyroid problem but that's not what I see here.

    You said she was treated for worms. How long ago was this? She has a borderline low sodium to potassium level (Na/K). This would be normal if the treatment for worms was recent. A lot of the medications given for worms destroys the ratio and it takes a little while to normalize again.

    I'm curious, did they take her blood pressure? When we go to our doctors, getting our BP checked is a normal part of the exam. But for animals it's not usually done unless requested or the doctor suspects something. And yeah... they charge extra for it

    I would wait a month and retest to compare the numbers, this time on an 8 hour fast to be safe. For the month between tests document everything! What she eats, when she eats. How much she drinks, how often she pees and especially the seizures. How often? How long do they last? Usually there are signs beforehand that tell you one is coming. See if you can learn those signs and try to stop it before it starts. There are also some extremely good supplements you can give her to help support and calm her nervous system.

    But I don't see anything here that screams sick dog to me. It might just be that she's developed epilepsy. Epilepsy being the term they stick on seizures that they don't know why are happening.

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

  8. #92
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    I posted a guide to understanding your pets blood work around here somewhere. I think it's stickied?

    Before I do this, I want to go on record as saying that I am not a doctor. I was given intensive training in reading lab results as part of my nutritional training. In order for me to work with vets I have to know what I am looking at to design the best possible diet for each individual animal. I've had no medical training outside of what I have learned on my own for my sweetie head.

    That said, there are a couple of things that stick out for me. Glucose is on the low end of normal. Normal range is between 70 and 138. Maggie is sitting at 76. This is why I asked if the test was done on a fast or not, her blood sugar was a little low at the time of the test.

    Everything in differential is nicely within normal range. These are your white blood cells and tells you there is no infection.
    Like I said before, 100 over normal in platelets is not "very high". It's barely high and could be caused by anything. Platelets are for clotting blood and if they are slightly to moderately high it could just mean she got a bruise somewhere or maybe pulled a muscle.

    Even her cholesterol isn't dangerously high. It's just a little bit high. Really high cholesterol plus really high platelets "could" mean there is a thyroid problem but that's not what I see here.

    You said she was treated for worms. How long ago was this? She has a borderline low sodium to potassium level (Na/K). This would be normal if the treatment for worms was recent. A lot of the medications given for worms destroys the ratio and it takes a little while to normalize again.

    I'm curious, did they take her blood pressure? When we go to our doctors, getting our BP checked is a normal part of the exam. But for animals it's not usually done unless requested or the doctor suspects something. And yeah... they charge extra for it

    I would wait a month and retest to compare the numbers, this time on an 8 hour fast to be safe. For the month between tests document everything! What she eats, when she eats. How much she drinks, how often she pees and especially the seizures. How often? How long do they last? Usually there are signs beforehand that tell you one is coming. See if you can learn those signs and try to stop it before it starts. There are also some extremely good supplements you can give her to help support and calm her nervous system.

    But I don't see anything here that screams sick dog to me. It might just be that she's developed epilepsy. Epilepsy being the term they stick on seizures that they don't know why are happening.
    @Twice you are a Rock Star!

    Makes perfect sense in a way because with head tremors one of the theories is low blood sugar. She seems to be having head tremors and not seizures, so this is an interesting bit of info for sure.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  9. #93
    Dog Park Attendant Noyes27's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Posts
    420
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    @Twice you are a Rock Star!

    Makes perfect sense in a way because with head tremors one of the theories is low blood sugar. She seems to be having head tremors and not seizures, so this is an interesting bit of info for sure.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Interesting bc Mack's tremors don't seem to be blood sugar related, his seem to be triggered from excitement over food. For example when we were eating crunchy items. Popcorn, potato chips, pistachio nuts...wierd I know, but since then we dont let him in the kitchen when we are eating, and now even if we are snacking on the couch he doesnt notice...and doesnt have tremors. But for a few weeks they were very often. Weve also switched food several times and started ACV so I suppose those could also contribute to our resolution...

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

  10. #94
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

    Great Thread.

    The good news about not being around EBN much these days is that you get to read these kind of threads from beginning to gratefully, deleriously happy end.

    The bad news is that you cannot offer support during the crisis.
    @PudgyMommy thank you for taking the time to share your story. Keep up the good work.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •