Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

@PudgyMommy - very informative update! I like the plan you have laid out, and once the blood work is back a few member can help to translate it and maybe know something to help.

A new vet does seem in order, but keep in mind vet's are not nutritionist and tend to have limited interest or knowledge of dog food at all. Well, except for what they sell

If you can get a picture of her from above, we can let you know about weight and food amount. But, being able to feel spine and ribs may not be an issue, but seeing them can be that she is a little under weight. There are a few petite Bulldogs here weighting under 45lbs at full growth so it is not uncommon.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

I would question A vet that says he never saw anything like that in the video. Chumley has head tremors and I absolutely freaked out when they started. My first vet wanted to run all kinds of tests but I got a 2nd opinion..a bulldog savvy doctor who eased my fears, advised me its quite common in bullies,says he has seen it dozens of times, and told me not to waste Money on expensive testing that will probably result in no further answers. A treat will instantly snap Chumley out of his tremors so I don't believe his are a blood sugar issue..they stop as he's chewing on the treat so he can be distracted out of it..that doesn't seem to be the case with what you're experiencing. Praying for you and hoping it all works out without you having to give up your precious little bully! Good luck.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

As i am in your area I am curious as to which vet this was.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

HI, sorry I am late. I am soo sorry you are having to go through this and I agree with all the others before me. Lets try to figure this out and exhaust all other options before having to give her up. I am assuming her sodium level was wnl? Sodium being out of whack can cause seizures. I live in Washington but would love to help if I could any way I can.

I'm a good girl, I promise

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

Ok, below is a pic of her from above... you can see she is very muscular, but skinny around the belly. A breeder I met by chance in a grocery store parking lot said it was just her build "like a triangle" he said... but I don't know about that... I am ok with her weight. My Pudgy was on the small side as well.... but I feel like she should be proportionate... That is why I questioned the thyroid or blood sugar issue. Hopefully the test results tell us something that will provide a little guidance.. Plus they will include info about liver and kidney function too.

As for today, we were very busy going to the vet and then going to work (where she gets love at every turn).. so she did not do a lot of napping.
    She did have one mild episode while resting behind me in my chair. (the back half of my chair no longer belongs to me.. it is her spot) It only lasted about 2 minutes and did not even wake her up... So, I am curious to see how she does overnight... She is snoring like crazy at my feet as I type this... we'll see.

Note: I really don't want to discredit the vet. I have used them for years, knowing they are not "bully" vets. Sometimes we see the old man (owner) and sometimes we see other younger vets... Today I got a very sweet, but very young vet. I really just think she does not yet possess the experience of a seasoned vet. So, as the old man transitions out of daily practice, I will move on as well. If anyone wants to know the name of the vet clinic, please PM me. I am happy to provide it with a review, but don't have any desire to publicly slander anyone... especially since I am aware I may be a bit hypersensitive these last few days.

-maggie-top-jpg

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I would question A vet that says he never saw anything like that in the video. Chumley has head tremors and I absolutely freaked out when they started. My first vet wanted to run all kinds of tests but I got a 2nd opinion..a bulldog savvy doctor who eased my fears, advised me its quite common in bullies,says he has seen it dozens of times, and told me not to waste Money on expensive testing that will probably result in no further answers. A treat will instantly snap Chumley out of his tremors so I don't believe his are a blood sugar issue..they stop as he's chewing on the treat so he can be distracted out of it..that doesn't seem to be the case with what you're experiencing. Praying for you and hoping it all works out without you having to give up your precious little bully! Good luck.
    Absolutely agree Chumley, We heard people spending thousands and got no answer, not sure how I would feel if it was happening everyday or more, we have been luckily only happened a few times but hated it every each time so know how @Pudgymummy would be feeling :-( We did something really exciting like car ride or walk, for distractions, as the treat thing never worked. Our vet said to us it is common in certain breeds and they just don't know what causes it, final.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

doing something exciting???.. instead of just distracting... I never thought of it that way...
    I'll try that and let y'all know how it goes... maybe using the laser pointer or vaccuum cleaner hose (her arch enemies that she must vanquish to saver her Mommy from certain peril... ha ha ha) or maybe just pick up my keys at tell her it's time for work (she loves going to work) That never fails to send her into fits running to the door, just waiting to go get in the car.... hmmm.. you have given me some new ideas...Thank you.

going to bed... will update again tomorrow.

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

I am a bulldog rookie compared to many on here but I would say she is thin in her abdomen as you state and by her shape would question some kind of deficiency. That is just the rn in my thinking, again I am a rookie. I sure do wonder what her chem panel looks like. She has regular stool? How much water does she drink?

I'm a good girl, I promise

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the detailed update. I understand your point if view on the vet, hopefully she will someday be an excellent vet. I just hate having to pay the bills for the wrong answers! I pray that she has a good night tonight.

I would say she's a bit thin, she could certainly gain a pound or two, nothing drastic by any means. Here is an excellent photo of weight I found that I now keep on my phone! It's not a bully but it certainly shows the ideal weights.

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1378267242-677145-jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Lisa .. I would say she is a bit too much on the skinny side. Not massively so, but she could certainly do with gaining a couple of lbs.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sending prayers too!

Cheerio mates!

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the others she looks a little thin. Maybe she has a nutritional deficiency. Below is a pic of Holly, she's never missed a meal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads