Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

Praying!!!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... di...

Quote Originally Posted by PudgyMommy View Post
    Ok, so today has been a little better. Maggie still had 4 or 5 episodes, but all but one of them was pretty mild.
    After talking to Lisa and reading all y'alls posts, I am feeling better. (btw, @desertskybulldogs you are welcome to post the videos I sent, maybe they would be useful to someone once we get this figured out)
    Anyway, I'll post tomorrow evening about how the vet visit goes... keep your fingers and toes crossed.
    I'll have to check my spam folder because they never came. So glad to hear they are getting better, will be waiting to hear about the vet tomorrow. Kudos to your colleagues too for helping you!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

I found your videos! I uploaded this one to youtube. These are really bad ones, no wonder you are beside yourself with worry.

I am going to tag @Libra926 to have her take a look to make sure they are head tremors.

http://youtu.be/gnaSrQhsrF4

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Maggie is so beautiful and you can see what a wonderfully sweet girl she is.

Your video just broke my heart, I promise I will be praying the cause gets dxed
    and it is helped w/meds or diet or something, it's awful to feel so helpless as I'm
    feeling right now to help Maggie or you but I can & will pray w/belief that GOD
    will make a miracle happen. Also praying for YOUR needs too, dear friend.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Baxter Tiberius

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    This is normally when head tremors begin -- is when they are in a relaxed state/sleeping. Banks is like this, her tremors only occur when she is waking or sleeping. We noticed with her - it is any change in her routine/schedule or her Daddy is away for any length of time. My b/f dog/house sits for friends of ours a few times a year for a week and while he is gone her tremors kick in
    This is so interesting. The health issues I have been battling the last 15 months have been somewhat similar. Mine weren't seizures but definitely had tremors, shaking, and neurological abnormalities that would kick in right at the moment I would fall asleep, or in that in-between stage as I was waking up. The causes are unknown, but a lot of ideas were tossed out by doctors including (but not limited to) Cortisol abnormalities / adrenaline / pituitary abnormalities, gaba receptor disruption, central nervous system fatigue / immune system dysfunction. Obviously those are all over the place, but it was accepted to be neurological / inflammatory in nature. How did I treat? Rest. Stress reduction. Meditation. Diet changes.

@PudgyMommy
    Have you given your pup healthy fats for most of her life? On a daily / weekly basis has she had ample doses of Omega 3's through olive oils, cod liver oil, salmon oil, or egg yolks? These things play immense roles in protecting and facilitating brain function, brain tissue formation, nerve myelin formation, and most white tissue activity in the body.

Kevin
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 09-03-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Baxter Tiberius

Update - please read through this thread:

http://www.meetup.com/chicagobullies...read/4971307/0

Note 1) that its common and 2) That there is a tie to blood sugar levels sometimes. This was mentioned by others here i believe in this thread.

This reminds me of another youtube video I saw while I was researching my own condition. There was a guy who had hand tremors... very bad ones ... and he wanted to show people how he could stop them. So he starts his video, and his hand is going crazy ... then he takes 1 sugar cube ... and waits about 2 minutes while sitting in a chair ... and suddenly you could see his hand completely stop shaking. He would need a few sugar cubes so the tremor would start to come back, and he'd take another sugar cube .... and it would stop completely.

They know very little about the brain. All the brain research has just begun in the last 2 years. So i expect a lot of these mysteries will be solved soon. But have you tried giving her a sugar dose and seeing if they stop consistently after?
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 09-03-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Baxter Tiberius

Update # 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLsX0ntuuA

Note the caption: "She just needed 2 sugar cubes and she's fine" !!!

Incredible! Same thing that worked for the guy i mentioned above. I'll try to find his video again...

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Sorry warning long post too!!!!! - Hi there, We know how you feel, one day we went out for dinner and did not get home to very late, doesn't happen that often, bazza was outside it was cold, I opened the door it was dark I could hear this funny noise when I let him in his head was shaking it, we panicked as Bazza had had an operation about 3 weeks before, bowel obstruction costed us heaps, so we were like here we go again, it was too late to ring the vet so we got on the internet and started to relax when we read about head tremors (they are very very common in Boxers as well so if you google Boxers and head tremours there is a lot of info). We tired everything sugar, treats, but they continued on and on for most of the night. Bazza did not seem to bothered we were more bothered. He seemed alert and responded, I believe that is the key information as it is the main difference between a seizure (and I have had a dog that had seizure's and he was out of it), the next day he was fine. We were hoping it was behind us, but it happened twice more and my husband took him for a drive in the car bang he stopped and the next time he did it we took him for a walk, bang he stopped, we couldn't work out what was causing them, as the different times of the day and night and different situations. He has not had any for months now, when we went to the vet for a routine check up we talked about it, he had heard of them, but all he said was that they have no idea why it happens and he was not concerned at all. 1. I am so glad you got on this forum lots of support and advice. 2. Don't give up yet as if it is head tremors there is nothing you can do about it and Maggie will be fine. Also be careful as when we researched on the net and we did a lot, some people were convinced to have all these tests, to be told that it was just head tremors, if your dog is alert and healthy and responds to you during them, no testing is going to help. We never had any type of testing done, he just gave him an overall check and questioned us about if he was alert and happy!!! Best of luck and please keep posting and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Bazza; 09-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

I just watched the video and it does look scary. Maggie is such a lovely girl. I am so happy for you that you don't have to part with that sweet pea and that your co workers were able to help out. You're in the right place here at EBN as there are so many bully experts. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Oh sweet little girl! I am so sorry you and Maggie are going through this! I can see why you are so worried as it seems scary she is going through that! Others have given great advice and I hope you can find something that works for her! I dont have much advice as Brutus had fly biting issues which was nothing like what Maggie is having! Prayers and positive thoughts for you both! Bless you for taking the time to make sure you are doing whats best for her
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

I haven't commented because I have no experience or advice. I am, however, a diabetic, and if my blood sugar levels drop too low, I shake and sweat and get ringing in my ears...which if I were a dog, might result in head tremors. Your story brought me to tears -- as did hearing of the help your co-workers are supplying. You are a great bully mommy. God will help you, I just know it. Know too, that you have a whole bunch of people whom you don't know who are sending love, prayers and good thoughts for you and your baby! HUGS!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

More episodes last night..
    I was hoping they were going away since most were so mild yesterday... but no, she was shaking the bed like a coin operated vibrating bed.. ha ha ha
    Ok, so we went to the vet today...
    I explained the history that I knew and gave her age, as I knew it... I showed them the videos.. They were quite shocked at the videos and acted as if they had never seen anything like it. They said they were pretty certain it was not seizures, but they had no clue as to what might be causing it. They also said that if nothing turned up at today's visit, the next step would be to a vet neurologist. I said I already knew that but wanted to check for the common before I look for the rare. I told them my concerns about thyroid, sugar levels, central nervous system disorders, dehydration, allergies, liver and kidney function, possible parasites and anything else I could think of. I also explained that funds were extremely limited and that I would probably not be able to afford vaccines today... they understood and didn't probe or judge about that, for which I was grateful. I also question about how skinny her middle is... They seemed unconcerned about that.. I asked why I could feel her spine and ribs so easily and they didn't have an answer.. just that her weight is fine (41lb) and that her fat layer is good and that it's just they way her build is.... ok, fine. So then they go out and come back with a lit of recommended tests (keeping budget in mind) and ask me what I want to do...
    Blood work (more than what they usually do "in house" so it was more costly and would take 2-3 days since they have to send it out)
    Urinalysis, for which they would have to perform a Cystocentesis (costly and invasive sounding)
    Fecal test (no big deal)...
    and Some Rx ear cleaner.. she might have a very mild infection in her right ear... I already have ear cleaner left over from Pudge.. and they weren't positive about the ear infection anyway. So I went with the blood work and the fecal test... I said I would do more but only if they would let me pay for it by cleaning kennels or mowing or something... they laughed until they saw I wasn't lauging... then it was just awkward and the subject was changed...
    Good news.. the fecal test showed no signs of parasites or anything else unusual. I'll have to wait for the blood work, but I was sure to ask if I could have a printed copy of the results so I can post it here when I get it...
    Here is what really irked me though...
    The only physical touching (besides petting) was when they looked in her ears and listened to her heart.. no palpation of belly, head, neck, abdomen, lymph nodes, no looking inside the mouth or nose, no bristling of the fur to check skin condition or anything.. They never even asked me what or how much I was feeding her, only if she was eating and drinking normally. When I asked about hydration, they checked her gums and said they were moist enough and she seemed to be fine. When I asked about sugar levels and if they thought it would be a good idea to actually check her blood sugar levels at home, they said adult dogs (except for toy breeds) rarely have a problem with sugar levels and can even go a few days without food and still not show significant change in blood glucose (by this time, I have lost all confidence)... So, then I just accept that I will just have to wait for the test results and then find a new vet (already have one in mind, but he was still out for the holiday today)..

So, now a little good news... I also asked them to scan her to see if she had a microchip. This was just in case she was lost or stolen. When I got her, I scoured craiglslist and all missing and stolen bulldog reports to see if anyone was searching for her. I found nothing, but have always been a little worried about it in the wee back of my mind, mostly because I am so clueless about her history. Also I would want the same courtesy if my babies were seperated from me for any reason... As it turns out, she does have a Home Again microchip. (the 10 minutes they went to research owner or vet info for the microchip were the longest of my life) but no information has ever been registered to it. They even called Homa Again just to be sure... and Home Again said I could just register my information with her chip number... Yippie!

So, now it is just a game of "wait and see." My plans are to switch her from Fromm classic to Fromm 4star (a friend whose dog passed a few weeks ago is giving me what she has left over to try), feed her the same amout of food but spread it over the course of the day, suppliment with yogurt honey eggs and banannas, hydrate like crazy (she got sick of me trying to squirt water in her mouth so now I put a couple teaspoons of chicken broth in about 2 cups of water and it all dissapears like magic).

I have looked at all the links and read every single word of advice, suggestions, and encouragement... And I will keep doing so.. keep it coming. I am so greatful for the feedback, knowlege and support... I'll keep updating.
    -maggie-jpg

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads