Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

have you tried humane society ?v http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...rding_pet.html croll down to Texas there i a lit of organizations that provide help with different need (im sorry im not from us - but look like there i help available to those who might struggle financially -we all been there at some point in our lives ,and from what you said he your best friend it must be heartbreaking for you and your family to make this decision , but humane society might be able to help you (or at least some organization listed in the article)
    Last edited by Pati Robins; 09-02-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: URGENT-long time guest, first post.. looking for new family for my baby... distressed

I totally forgot about this. Here is a link from the health forum of some sites that can provide financial assistance for vet bills if you qualify. It might be worth a shot as well.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...With-Vet-Bills
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate your honesty, you truly seem heartbroken... many of the rescues here will offer financial assistance is these cases. It's harder for them to find homes, than it is to help out w/vet bills. I would contact them & see if they would be willing to help you out. Please keep us posted!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear this, how heartbreaking...Have you talked to any vets locally to see if they may do a payment plan? I don't know maybe an option. I sure hope you are able to figure something out. Will be praying for you, your family, and your sweet girl.

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

My heart is broken for everything you are going through. So very truly sorry, and I hope that this works out for everyone.
    We have never met but please know that everyone on this forum is hugging you and thinking of you.....
    My whole world

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

Last night she had several more episodes.. I just let her sleep (and snore) through the mild ones and just loved on her during the more active ones... It seem like it annoys her to be woken up by them.

Thanks for all the info so far..
    @TexasCarol,.. thanks so much for sharing.. I am so sorry for your hardships, and greatful for your strength.. It helps to put things in perspective..Thank You.

I have tried everything I have read.. When the shaking starts, I have given her crunchy treats, honey, peanut butter, water, commanded her to sit, stay, jump, taken her outside,.. I even gave her a rawhide, which she loves but I never let her have cuz she end up trying to swallow them whole.. She is able to eat, drink water, follow commands, etc.. Her head does stop momentarily, but starts right back up again.. The rawhide helped the most..but her head would shake any time she wasn't actively chewing... once it was over, I took the rawhide back (which she pouted about).... I have video of several episodes but can't post it.. I can email it to anyone interested.

I did give her a Comfortis when we first got her. And I de-wormed her with SafeGuard. But the only medication she is on is a nightly dose of benedryl and pepcid to keep her allergies (and hot spots) under control. I also put a spoonful of yogurt in her food. No carpet cleaning (all tile), no pesticides except for the occasional wasp hunting expiditions (I always wash off any surfaces that the dogs might come into contact with afterwards).. She doesn't eat grass or plants. I only use baby shampoo and sometimes hotspot shampoo... I used vineger a lot when her hot spots began.. it helps but she walkes around smelling like pickles.. ha ha

My husband is trying to close out his 401K (something we were already considering to get us out of this financial quick sand).. we already have a loan against it so we can take another one.. only option is to close it out completely. But that takes time.
    I have a friend whose vet lets her write post dated checks when she has a hard time.. I plan to call them in the morning (closed today)
    I'll look into the humane society and other organizations for sure... and I'm gonna check out that link from Marine91 as soon as I post this.
    I didn't think about Care Credit.. I doubt we'll be approved, but it is definitely worth a try.. Their application system is down until later today.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Seems like something is triggering them, just hard to narrow down what it could be. Any stress in the home or changes in her daily routine/food change/treats/ect?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PudgyMommy View Post
    Last night she had several more episodes.. I just let her sleep (and snore) through the mild ones and just loved on her during the more active ones... It seem like it annoys her to be woken up by them.

Thanks for all the info so far..
    @TexasCarol,.. thanks so much for sharing.. I am so sorry for your hardships, and greatful for your strength.. It helps to put things in perspective..Thank You.

I have tried everything I have read.. When the shaking starts, I have given her crunchy treats, honey, peanut butter, water, commanded her to sit, stay, jump, taken her outside,.. I even gave her a rawhide, which she loves but I never let her have cuz she end up trying to swallow them whole.. She is able to eat, drink water, follow commands, etc.. Her head does stop momentarily, but starts right back up again.. The rawhide helped the most..but her head would shake any time she wasn't actively chewing... once it was over, I took the rawhide back (which she pouted about).... I have video of several episodes but can't post it.. I can email it to anyone interested.

I did give her a Comfortis when we first got her. And I de-wormed her with SafeGuard. But the only medication she is on is a nightly dose of benedryl and pepcid to keep her allergies (and hot spots) under control. I also put a spoonful of yogurt in her food. No carpet cleaning (all tile), no pesticides except for the occasional wasp hunting expiditions (I always wash off any surfaces that the dogs might come into contact with afterwards).. She doesn't eat grass or plants. I only use baby shampoo and sometimes hotspot shampoo... I used vineger a lot when her hot spots began.. it helps but she walkes around smelling like pickles.. ha ha

My husband is trying to close out his 401K (something we were already considering to get us out of this financial quick sand).. we already have a loan against it so we can take another one.. only option is to close it out completely. But that takes time.
    I have a friend whose vet lets her write post dated checks when she has a hard time.. I plan to call them in the morning (closed today)
    I'll look into the humane society and other organizations for sure... and I'm gonna check out that link from Marine91 as soon as I post this.
    I didn't think about Care Credit.. I doubt we'll be approved, but it is definitely worth a try.. Their application system is down until later today.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

If it is not head tremors, she could be stressed sensing all your stress due to the family situation. What food is she on? Frequent hot spots tells me there is an allergy of some type and could also be a factor?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this. But help is out there so you may not have to part with your sweet Maggie. Your first stop should be Red Rover http://www.redrover.org/node/1198 They offer grants to people who rescue and can't afford expensive medical treatment.

The Humane Society has a list of resources by state that can also help. Here are the listings for Texas
    http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...pet.html#Texas I know it's farther than you would like but Texas A&M is probably your best bet. I can't think of a better place to get a diagnosis and treatment than a college. They also have clinics that you can go to for very low cost (if not free)

I am going to PM you some additional information that may be of help

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

No stress.. asside from the financial stuff, other things have been getting better. I feed her Fromm Family Classics.. The hot spots are under control.. she had them while transitioning from the food that came with her... she still gets little tiny spots now and then, but nothing like before.. the benedryl at night is mostly preventative and seems to help a lot.. she used to lick and chew her front feet a lot, but yogurt in her food and the occasional vinegar rinse has remedied that.. making sure he feet are dry after walking in wet grass in the mornings helps too. A couple of weeks ago, someone gave me some salmon jerky treats that their dog didn't like.. I noticed that those upset her tummy and she would vomit it back up.. so no more of those.. I have some other salmon treats, but have not given her any just in case she is allergic.. the other dogs love them though, so they don't go to waste... the only treats she gets is peanut butter... about a tablespoonful every night with her benedryl.. all the dogs get a glob of peanut butter at bed time and they will not go to bed until they've had their yummy.

She is also kinda skinny in the belly area... Her legs and shoulders and chest are very muscular but her belly is so skinny... I though the de-worming would help her put some weight on.. and it did, a little.. She went through her heat cycle (wears a diaper like a pro) so I thought she would put on weight when that was over.. and she did..but is still thin and seems to be losing the progress and weight she had put on... that's also why I worry about an underlying condition..

The shaking only starts when she is sleeping... if it wakes her up, it still continues... but they only start when she is asleep.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

First of all I want you to watch this video of my sweet Maggie and tell me if this is what your Maggie is experiencing ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJlwB...=TLqG9T7-r-4RQ

@PudgyMommy

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

@Twice,.. thanks for the links... checking them out now.. actually College Station os not too far.. about a 40 min drive
    @kazzy220, I have actually watched that video already.. The whole article on this site about the head tremors really helped bring down the panic level when this all started and helped to consider that the issue and not jump to the seizure conclusion... And yes, that is very similer to what my Mags does.. only hers are much more pronounced.. I've taken several videos, I'll email it to someone if they can post a video

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads