My 1st Bully! Advice Would be Appreciated!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
What an Ador A Bull little man you have there, you just want to give him a big cuddle and kiss. Welcome to EBN

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
T

TX Bully Lover

Aug 7, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PorkChop
It was a rough night yesterday. Upon our return home from work Porkchop was in a rebellious mood and for lack of a better term was "challenging" my girlfriend. He would charge her then come to a stop and adopt a stocky "tough guy" stance and bark at her. I would poke him in the neck a la Dog Whisperer and he'd fall in line, at least temporarily. Then we both fell asleep in front of the TV and woke at 4am to poop all over the place and Porky had decided to build a nest out of my underwear and socks. I am convinced at this point that he "punishes" us for putting him in his crate, because as soon as we let him out he'll pee/crap 1 foot away from his pee-pee pads and he knows better..

What is the best way to enforce "discipline"? He doesn't seem to respond well to angry "NO's" or "bad doggie". In fact if we get mad at him, he punishes US lol.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
He isn't punishing you. He is doing what he believes is correct. He is still so young so you have to show him that you are the leader of the pack or else her is going to stomp all over you. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has some great info regarding potty training so as your baby can hold it for 2 to 3 hours tops at a time right you will need to be vigilant in going potty on a schedule and consistently repeating the process every few hours and eventually Porkchop will get the hint and go sit by the door or scratch or bark to let you know he has to go. As for the rebellious part that is going to happen. Again you need to establish that you are the leader of the pack using a firm no, squirt bottle of water or even a can with pennies with it to grab his attention when he is doing something you don't like. if it is biting you then redirect with a toy. Most of all be persistent and consistent and he will learn slowly but surely.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello and welcome. i see puppyhood is in full force in your house. im not much on training and you may want to post something in the training and behavioral section as you will get better help with the dominance and not listening issues. far as the food it could just be they are adjusting to a new household and new people so that could be the issues with the farting and stuff. the stinky is a whole other thing to me. might be the food not agreeing but i would give it a bit more time. the apple cidar vinegar rinse should help and you can look into another shampoo. i use duoxo ps shampoo when sarah has skin issues and its wonderful. they also have regular shampoos to. keep us updated.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:)
:hiya: I am out of town and haven't read everything..I'm going to give you my best advice. It's not easy..but WILL work. You must tether him in the house at all times. NO roaming free. Take him out to potty every hour..after eating and playing. If you need to do anything without him attached to you, take him out to potty, then immediately in crate. When you get him out, take him immediately out to potty and back on tether. Watch him like a hawk. If you see any signs of getting ready to potty, a gentle tug..your best NO word..and immediately outside. The key here is YOU! No way can he potty if you are watching him. No more than 2-3 hours at a time in the crate. And the crate area should be only big enough for him to stand up ànd turn around. Good Luck!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Becky's advice is awesome! Here is another trick we used with the potty pads. Slowly move the pads closer and closer to the door. Then move the pad outside...and towards the potty area. Scolding doesn't usually work...especially if it'd discovered hours after the fact. But praise does work. We used a clicker when potty training Vegas and O. Basically....like Becky said, out side after eating, playing and waking up. Carry him if you have to. As soon as he goes, click the clicker and in a high pitched exaggerated girly voice! "Good boy!!!!! Good boy!!!" They love the excitement and will eventually link the two. Treats help too. Vegas is 6...and even to this day he knows if I do something that he hates......cleaning ears, clipping nails, cleaning nose rope, he gets a treat. He also gets poked with a needle ALOT due to his epilepsy. So when we go to the vet....I carry a baggy full of green beans. Each time they poke him, take his temperature, check his ears, listen to his heart.....he immediately turns to me when it's done and gets his treat. (just don't ever forget the treats..the look you get breaks your heart)

Good luck and :welcome3:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
attachment.php

Holy cuteness! Welcome to the EBN family!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Welcome and congrats on your bully. As far as him being smelly..you need to make such you clean his tail pocket good. My bully Stinky Pete was stinky too. We would give him a bath and the next day he was stinky. I thought he smelled like old beer. I talked to my breeder and she said it was yeast. I gave him a good bath and made sure I got way up in his tail pocket to clean. I use witch hazel with some vinegar on the baby wipe and clean it 1-2 times a day. I also use a teaspoon of vinegar in his food once a day. We feed him TASTE OF THE WILD. Good luck with your bully!!!!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
PorkChop is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l! Sweet, sweet baby. Welcome. I do love his name!

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
PORK CHOP is adorable and i want him <grin> he is so cuddle me written all over him.......as for the potty training...you have been given great advice.....with Forde i never used the pads....he had enough room in his crate to stand and lie down and he only once had an accident in there and it was due to me giving him to much room in the crate........for the first few weeks he was in his crate unless i could be right there with him and watching .......any sign he needed to potty and he was immediately taken outside .......i know it seems that its a never going to be normal ...but it will and you will look at Pork Chop and smile knowing what a precious baby he is :) love the pics please keep posting :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.