brandnew to English Bullodgs, and this forum :)

amommy

Aug 7, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I fell in love with an EB at a petstore. YES! I said it, lol and NO, I didn't buy him, because I knew NOTHING about the breed... he was just the cutest pup ever.

So, I started to read and research the breed. I am pretty knowledgeable about dogs in general, but, have no idea about this specific breed. The more I read, the more I fell in love.

I have 2 toddlers, 26 month old, and 22 month old, (adopted from foster care), and a 8 year old chihuahua, and a husband lol

I DO have some questions, and if somebody would be able to spare some time answering them, I would be very grateful.

I read such amazing things about this breed, seems everything GOOD that's going on is a YES on my list (non hyper, easy to train, loves kids etc etc etc) BUT, I also see a HUGE list of health issues.

so, here is my question # 1 to you all: (and pls. be frank with me!). would you consider a EB to be more of a 'rich people' dog? somebody who can afford to constantly go to the vet, have surgeries etc etc?
or is it, that mostly people whose dogs have issues, post more?

are they really that sickish? that needy? (medically needy)

what is your take in this? looking forward to seeing your input. THANKS!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. I wouldn't go so far as to say bullies are "rich people" dogs. Can they be expensive upfront and to maintain? Absolutely. The biggest thing is knowledge. Study up as much as you can especially the articles on the left had side of the left hand side of the home page for some awesome information relating to allergies, food, general health, training etc.. Do all bullies have health and allergy issues? No not all but many do. You would be amazed at what a good high quality 5 or 6 star food and regular wrinkle, feet, tail pocket cleaning and wiping can do for a bullies health. Also, depending on your personal situation there are wonderful options out there for pet medical insurance that can help reduce your medical cost down to a deductible and percentage of the over all bill. Is it required? No but there are options out there to help defray some medical costs.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I am brand new to the whole english bulldog thing (aside from years of reading). I am getting my little boy tonight at midnight!!! But I wanted to respond about the medical bill / rich person question.

I just signed up for medical insurance last night with gopetplan.com. The *best* and most expensive insurance policy they had was only $50 a month.

With $50 a month you are covered for up to $22,000 in medical bill every year. So that should cover your concerns I hope.

You can pay for cheaper policies down to like $40 a month and have smaller total coverage per year. But i don't think anyone's dog here comes anywhere close to needing that much medical attention.

So technically you could probably look at this as a $50 per month cost to have this dog. Thats it. At least as far as medical bills go.

If something does come up, there's a $200 deductible I think, and they pay 80% on each bill, but still ... I wish my own health insurance was this cheap. I would kill for $22,000 a year coverage with a $200 deductible!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Welcome to EBN! Always glad to see people do their research first! How needy and how high maintenance an EB is will vary from pup to pup but I would say they are definitely more so than the average dog. I would not get an EB if you can't deal with potentionally high vet bills and keeping up on routine care. All EB's need a high quality food, need to be indoor dogs and need routine grooming of their wrinkles to prevent infection and in some cases that includes their tail. Many EB's have a pocket underneath their tail that needs to be cleaned out regularly to prevent infection, my Samson is one of them. I have to clean it regularly and have for the last 7 years of his life and thankfully since I have been diligent about it we have never had any infections or issues. My Samson has never had any of the breed specific issues that are more serious (and expensive to treat) like torn ACL's, hip dysplasia, elongated soft palate, cherry eye, etc but we have battled allergies for his whole life. There isn't a high upfront cost with allergies but regular vet visits dealing with it REALLY add up and honestly alot of work. Allergies when out of hand can cause other issues, skin infections, ear infections, etc and I've dealt with them all. I am in no means a rich person so I wouldn't say you have to be rich but I certainly have to sacrifice other things to make sure Samson is taken care of properly and THANK GOODNESS for pet insurance, best thing I ever did was get pet insurance and keep it since I brought Samson home. I'm not trying to scare you away from getting a bulldog, I just think anyone who is considering getting one should be aware. I wouldn't trade Samson for anything in the world, I'd do it all over again without hesitation, the love and companionship you get from an English Bulldog is unmatched by any other breed IMO. Some people can appreciate that and it outweighs everything else while others will never understand how it can all be worth it.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I fell in love with an EB at a petstore. YES! I said it, lol and NO, I didn't buy him, because I knew NOTHING about the breed... he was just the cutest pup ever.

So, I started to read and research the breed. I am pretty knowledgeable about dogs in general, but, have no idea about this specific breed. The more I read, the more I fell in love.

I have 2 toddlers, 26 month old, and 22 month old, (adopted from foster care), and a 8 year old chihuahua, and a husband lol

I DO have some questions, and if somebody would be able to spare some time answering them, I would be very grateful.

I read such amazing things about this breed, seems everything GOOD that's going on is a YES on my list (non hyper, easy to train, loves kids etc etc etc) BUT, I also see a HUGE list of health issues.

so, here is my question # 1 to you all: (and pls. be frank with me!). would you consider a EB to be more of a 'rich people' dog? somebody who can afford to constantly go to the vet, have surgeries etc etc?
or is it, that mostly people whose dogs have issues, post more?

are they really that sickish? that needy? (medically needy)

what is your take in this? looking forward to seeing your input. THANKS!!

Hi Welcome to the boards,
here are my comments, And this is Just my experience. everyone has a different story just like as in life.

With two toddlers, a puppy bulldog or any breed will be a huge undertaking. my bulldogs love my daughter, the love the family. Ike is 10 months old now, it has been alot of work training him. Puppies teeth are sharp, and Ike loves to play he was pretty mouthy and drew blood a few times on me. now that his baby teeth are out, it has lessened and still loves to play. Non Hyper did not go for Ike, he has settled down, and is becoming more of the lay around dog that you read so much about. But he still plays hard and goes for while.

A Rich people dog, I am not sure how many of us are Rich people I am not close to that.. I do not have to constantly go to the vet, anymore then any other dog owner that I know. we did make some trips to the vet as a puppy, got sick, broke a toe. but nothing that wouldn't happen to any other breed. Now its routine, keep them up on their shots, and flea and tick meds.

There has been no extra surgeries for my bulldog, Ike has only gone under once and that was to get neutered. he came out fine, I knew all the questions to ask and was prepared to ask the vet upfront.

There are some things that seem to be more particular to bulldogs then others just because of their build.. have to clean the wrinkles on their face for instance

That being said breeding adds a whole dimension that I can't comment one but others can and there is part of the forum dedicated to that.

Training can be a pain sometimes, bulldogs are headstrong, some breeds want to please their owners no matter what, Ike wants to please himself. Training took a while, food drove Ike so it was always positive. Sit, good dog, here is your treat. Rinse and repeat...

Even today, when I tell him to come in, he will look at me and decide if he wants to come in or not. Most times he does, other times come inside turns into you want a treat...

My Dogs are healthy they play the eat the argue, the love and they have their own personality. I love then dearly.

As a side note if the cost of the vet scares you, look into insurance for the dog. You didn't let the cost of a Dr's visit stop you from adopting you two toddlers.
But be mindful of the time commitment a puppy takes, now matter what breed you choose, like your babies, a puppy needs supervision, has to be let out at nite a few times.. So if sleep is a premium any puppy right now might be alot of pressure at an inopportune time.

And Thank you for being an adopting Parent I am very happy that your two toddler are in a loving home!

Last edited:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Time, patience and the occasional vet bill. That is the best I can say. Loki was ok to train but the breed is known for being very stubborn and very reluctant to learn new things at first. Pet insurance is a smart thing to have in case of the odd chance something big happens. Loki and from what I can tell most bullies are very good with children.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Welcome to EBN. Its great you are doing your homework before adding a new pup to your family. Bullies are wonderful if trained right and become a member of the family.

Please remember they do not come this way "I read such amazing things about this breed, seems everything GOOD that's going on is a YES on my list (non hyper, easy to train, loves kids etc etc etc) BUT, I also see a HUGE list of health issues."

As pups they are just like any puppy breed hyper, teething, and dont forget the potty training (take longer then some breeds but that is not always the case). They can be stubborn but once they grow out of the puppy phase they can become the most wonderful addition to your family. It sounds like you already have a full house and hands full with very young children. Adding a bully puppy can add to the sleepless nights and stress financially and emotionally so please think very hard getting a bully puppy. If everything sounds doable then go for it they are little clowns on 4 feet and will make you laugh like no other dog :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the breed and so happy you are doing your homework. Having two toddlers and a puppy can be trouble if you don't watch them closely. Puppies love to play and bite everything , and will eat anything on the ground. I have heard plenty of people complain that the pup is biting their toddler. Well the pup is just playing, but unfortunately the owners don't watch them closely and get discussed with the pup and the next thing you know the poor pup ends up in a shelter, alone and scared. Or they will swallow a toy and have to have surgery because it got stuck. Just keep these things in mind before you get a pup. They both can live together peacefully, but it requires work on your part and training. Bullies love to play and will be pretty lively until they get about 4 years of age and then they will start to slow down. They love to chew on things until about 2 or 3 years of age then they just chew their chew toys. The rich part depends on the pup you get and the breeding of the pup. Poorly bred bullies will have the potential of more medical problems than ones where the breeder pays close attention to their breeding. That being said they can still have some problems, but usually any serious problem a reputable breeder will stand behind their pups and will help you out. Pet store puppies come from puppy mills and you never know were they came from or their real pedigree. Good luck with your search and we are always here to help.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm a little late catching the :welcome3: wagon. Glad to have you here! I can't really add any more advice than the great reply's you've already gotten.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN.... This is the place to be for bully info. If you dont find it in the articles..... just ask. :w00t:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You got excellent and awesome advice from everyone above, as for being non hyper, all puppies are hyper, but they will outgrow this phase, they are not the easiest breed to train, they are very stubborn, I have two EB siblings, and they both will come if they feel like it, they eat everything that isn't nailed down, it took me 5 months until they were totally potty trained. Having said that these things are true for any new puppy, the first few months involve training, vet bills, spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, sleepless nights, going out in the middle of the night, potential of furniture, walls, shoes and other stuff getting chewed or ruined. You have to puppy proof the house, just like you would for a child, as they are just like children, except they never grow up and become I dependent of us, they are children for life who depend on us for every aspect of their life. As for being a rich persons dog, I don't agree with that, I'm certainly not rich, but I 100% agree with others comments regarding having insurance. We bought Petsecure insurance for our guys when we first got them, and we put then on the puppy wellness program for their first year, then we stepped down one level after one year, we paid $125 a month for the puppy program, which covered pretty much everything in their first year, spay/neuter, all puppy exams, vaccinations, stool samples, medications, etc. they cover 80% of the vet bills. Some bullies have more health issues than others, but that can happen in any breed, there is never a guarantee with any dog for health or unforeseen accidents, any dog can cost money and vet bills go along with owning any dog, not just a EB. EB do love children, people, and family in general, they are loving, sociable dogs, and will give you unconditional love.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have toddlers and puppies and I can tell you it's a lot of work, on both parts! I actually have to train my children more than my bullies... No leaving toys around the house, hand feeding so they respect my kids.... But they are really wonderful with kids and are a great family pet to have. Getting insurance would be a top priority when having young ones and a bully pup.... One obstruction can pay for 5 years worth of insurance.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just wanted to say hellow and :welcome3: the gang gave some great advice.... best of luck with your decision.

OP
A

amommy

Aug 7, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
THANK YOU all so very much for the warm welcome, and the advise you all have given me. Would a new puppy fit into my life right now? probably not. Do I WANT ONE NOW!!??? yes, lol but I think it will be smarter to wait, maybe a year, for my kids to grow up some more, so I can spend all the needed time with the new puppy. In the meantime, I will be HERE, reading, learning, looking at all your beautiful EB's, and dreaming a little....thanks again for all your kind words, and your thoughts! I really appreciate it!.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online