Russell Vansteel

Jul 26, 2013
SEATTLE, WA
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
MATTIS
hey gang,
I am here looking for help for my bully Mattis. He rescued me in Midland Texas and we have just moved to Seattle, WA with my beautiful wife and twin daughters. He has a progressively bad skin allergy to what we don't know. Steroids fix it but we all know that they are bad for him. Anyone run into this? What worked for you?

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
hey gang,
I am here looking for help for my bully Mattis. He rescued me in Midland Texas and we have just moved to Seattle, WA with my beautiful wife and twin daughters. He has a progressively bad skin allergy to what we don't know. Steroids fix it but we all know that they are bad for him. Anyone run into this? What worked for you?

Food is generally the culprit or at least an underlying cause. What food is he on? What treats does he get? Our go to person is [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] who will stop by for a chat.

Does Mattis scratch or chew his feet? Is he currently taking any medications or supplements? How often do you bathe him and what are you using? Can you show us a picture of his skin? We talk about allergies a lot here.

OP
Russell Vansteel

Russell Vansteel

Jul 26, 2013
SEATTLE, WA
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
MATTIS
we feed him blue wilderness duck with fish oil. i wash him about once a week with anti-bacterial shampoo from pet smart. no treats except what he scavenges. he chews his feet and legs most of the time, when he is not scratching or doing tail spins in the ground. no meds right now.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: I will tag a few members who have experience with skin problems and allergies.. So happy you joined us!
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
we feed him blue wilderness duck with fish oil. i wash him about once a week with anti-bacterial shampoo from pet smart. no treats except what he scavenges. he chews his feet and legs most of the time, when he is not scratching or doing tail spins in the ground. no meds right now.

Hmmmm..I'm thinking food too..Sandra will be along tomorrow..she's the food wizardress..lol [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Just to get him more comfortable Benadryl (generic is fine) 1mg per 1lb of dog every 8 hours should give him some relief. If you have tried this without relief you can try Claritin (not Claritin D) 1 tablet every 24 hours.

You may already be doing this. Tail pockets need to be cleaned out daily. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

My other concern is that yeast could be a possibility it has a lot of the same symptoms as allergies. Here is an article on allergies in it is a picture of yeast growth http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...llergies-Information-Treatment-and-Prevention

Food is going to be the most important part of the equation.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Try a grain free, chicken free kibble if you can't feed raw, modified or dehydrated raw.
Avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes too. If he's yeasty now, put on probiotics.

Lots of allergic bullies here are very happy w/Fromm's Pork & Peas, can order from Pets
Flow (EBN has a code for coupon off). Good luck & let us know how it goes. GOD bless!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Your daughters are precious! Mattis may have to cut back on the Jameson because it has barley in it and it may be causing his allergy. You get to tell him that. He is a good looking bully!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Howdy Neighbor! Posting some pics of the areas might help diagnose too. Welcome! We've all had our bouts with this kind of thing! When you figure it out, you'll be happier and your dog will be ecstatic!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
As others have said it sounds like it is a food allergy, so I would start there and begin looking for a food that doesn't make him itch.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I would definitely eliminate the Grains to start with. take a look at the blue buffalo - I'm pretty sure *ALL* except for their SALMON formula contain Chicken in some form. Gizmo and Hershey did well on the Salmon, except for their tear stains, and of course they could clear a room :p, we have tried the sweet potato, we've tried grain free, we've tried this that and the other things :)

Look up the miracle cure of ACV (apple Cider Vinegar) do the sniff test, if he smells like corn chips, then you are also fighting a yeast issue. (been there, done that too!) if their paws smell like corn chips.. look up RARETT's Pickled Paws :)

and ah... what is their facebook page? :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Nothing to add but :welcome: to EBN..... We'd all love to see some pix of your family, both fur and skin. Thanx for joining.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok it certainly sounds like an allergy for sure. could be food could be environmental could be fleas as it is summertime now. i would stop the salmon oil first and see if it makes a difference as some bullies are allergic to salmon. if there is no change after several days then i would move onto fleas. check your dog for fleas as they can cause horrible allergies to dogs who are allergic. if none then onto the food. blue wilderness has so many ingredients it would be hard to know what was causing it. finding a limited ingredient food is probably best for now. you are going to hear lots of things here and the most prevalant will be to stay away from chicken and grains. well for alot of bullies this is true but there are many bullies here who do fine with chicken and my sarah is on solely chicken and turkey as all other proteins give her allergies. the secret to bullies is to find a protein yours does good on and work out from there unfortunltely its a guessing game at first. if you have a petco nvi has several limited ingredient foods to try. turkey, lamb, and i think duck and perhaps venison. natural balance has several though im not thrilled with the low protein but for purposes of getting your dog better you can try it. once you find your dogs protein then you can go onto other things and mostly grain free is the way to go. now apple cidar vinegar and water is good for yeast and such if thats what it is. just 2 teaspoons each and a cotton ball and put it on wherever is itchy. you can also use it as a rinse after bathing. braggs with the mother in it is used alot. i would also invest in duoxo ps shampoo as it has yeast properties as well as anti bacterial. duoxo pads are a good investment for bullies also as they fight bacteria and yeast. i would be using something on my bully everyday as a wipe on these areas and even twice a day if its bad enough. benadryl is used alot here for allergy bullies. 1 pill per 25 pounds of dog. it will make your dog sleepy so be aware of that.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online