Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Me and general mattis usmc

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Me and general mattis usmc

Nothing to add but to EBN..... We'd all love to see some pix of your family, both fur and skin. Thanx for joining.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok it certainly sounds like an allergy for sure. could be food could be environmental could be fleas as it is summertime now. i would stop the salmon oil first and see if it makes a difference as some bullies are allergic to salmon. if there is no change after several days then i would move onto fleas. check your dog for fleas as they can cause horrible allergies to dogs who are allergic. if none then onto the food. blue wilderness has so many ingredients it would be hard to know what was causing it. finding a limited ingredient food is probably best for now. you are going to hear lots of things here and the most prevalant will be to stay away from chicken and grains. well for alot of bullies this is true but there are many bullies here who do fine with chicken and my sarah is on solely chicken and turkey as all other proteins give her allergies. the secret to bullies is to find a protein yours does good on and work out from there unfortunltely its a guessing game at first. if you have a petco nvi has several limited ingredient foods to try. turkey, lamb, and i think duck and perhaps venison. natural balance has several though im not thrilled with the low protein but for purposes of getting your dog better you can try it. once you find your dogs protein then you can go onto other things and mostly grain free is the way to go. now apple cidar vinegar and water is good for yeast and such if thats what it is. just 2 teaspoons each and a cotton ball and put it on wherever is itchy. you can also use it as a rinse after bathing. braggs with the mother in it is used alot. i would also invest in duoxo ps shampoo as it has yeast properties as well as anti bacterial. duoxo pads are a good investment for bullies also as they fight bacteria and yeast. i would be using something on my bully everyday as a wipe on these areas and even twice a day if its bad enough. benadryl is used alot here for allergy bullies. 1 pill per 25 pounds of dog. it will make your dog sleepy so be aware of that.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 07-27-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member mc68mc's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robert McCray
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN -you have showed up at the right sight -this is a great place to learn -teach -vent - laugh ,and sometimes cry about the BULLDOGs we call family

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Hi @Russell Vansteel sorry I'm a bit late in getting here. I have an opinion on the skin issue, it appears to be a staph infection, Dermatitis . An allergy if you will to either his food and/ or environmental. Lots of bullies have skin issues this time of year in particular, dry grass and stuff floating around. There's lots of advice here and I've posted much on this issue. Start with
    Benadryl as some have stated. Cut out and store bought treats too. Frozen veggies work just as well and they like them.
    Give a bath with Original blue Dawn and Hydrogen Peroxide, mixed in a teacup. Shampoo pooch. Rinse really really well. Then in a gallon jug of water, add one cup of white vinegar , pour over pooch and leave on. don't rinse off. This will clear any residue and leave him smelling great! It balances the ph level.
    Dry as usual and do this once a week or once every two weeks. Also try 1 vitamin C tablet and 1 vitamin Zinc tablet a day. This will pick up his immune system and help him heal. You may want to start him on a Probiotic to mix with his food. I suggest a product I buy off Amazon, called Probiotic Miracle Dog made by Nutrisca . please Keep me posted
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Did he have the skin problems prior to moving to Seattle? Arnold has a problem with environmental allergies once a season at the very beginning. A couple days of Benadryl and he is good. The first year he had gray scaly bald spots but oatmeal bath and Benadryl did the trick in days. This year it was more respiratory but easily treated in a couple days with antihistamines again. Welcome to EBN!! I am on the east side of the state in Spokane but I grew up in Puyallup.

I'm a good girl, I promise

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hello and --- you received some great insight and advice from the gang! One thing to tink of, is ask the vet to run a full blood screen allergy test -- 30 days AFTER the steroids are out of his system. These are not 100% accurate, but give a damn good idea of what to avoid.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You have and will get lots of help here! Welcome!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

I'm a bit late to the party, sorry! Hello & Welcome. You have gotten some top notch advise here, I certainly hope something sticks and you'll be able to put all this behind you soon. Please keep us updated on your baby. Good Luck
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    MATTIS
    Likes (Received)

I took Mattis to the dermatologist and he is on some allergy meds. poor guy is allergic to me among other things. we will give it some time to see if it works.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, you got great information from everyone above, so I can't really add any suggestions, but only what I experienced. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. We switched My two guys to Fromms Beef Fritatta, when they were 7 months old, this was our 4th switch, due to red faces, pink warm ears, pink chin and chin acne, licking of paws, and constant itching and having to give Benadryl to give relief. Since being on the Fromms Beef, we have had no issues, and their poops are normal, and they go 2 to 3 times a day. I hope you find a food that he tolerates, it can be frustrating, and it's just trial and error. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way. Welcome to EBN and so glad you joined.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have nothing to add I'm sorry but you have been given excellent advice and Welcome to EBN. I too have twin girls mine are 9 will be 10 in October.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads