HI From MG and Marlee!

Mary Grace

Jul 23, 2013
Hi! I'm a new English Bulldog owner. I brought Marlee home almost 2wks ago. I have always dreamed of owning a EB, and never thought it was possible. I fell in love with them when my best friend in high school had one. I look forward to learning from all your experiences. I'm located in FL. and I think my biggest concern with my newest baby is how the heat is so hard on them. :*(

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: to EBN glad you found us and yes you are correct , heat is very hard on smooshy faced dogs. This site is chock full of info and great members from Florida are here too.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Mary and Marlee, :smileywelcome: this is a great site to learn about the heat problems and many other problems. The Articles in the Library and the quality of a great membership both are applaudable. There are a few other members that live in Florida as well, that post regularly. I live in Louisiana, and I know the heat here has been in the 90's for a while now. I let my boys outside for a very limited time, I stay with them, and we do the bathroom breaks and their quite ready to get back inside to the conditioned air. Some of the bullys love to lay in the sun, and warm, But I won't take that chance with mine, I've read absolute horror stories right here on this forum, of heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and even death, and I look at it as I'm a responsible Pet Owner, My Pets don't know what's best for them, and I'm the caregiver. Some of our members, walk their pets, early in the morning, or late evening, as the temps tend to cool down, and keep lemon juice in hand, just in case they overheat, have difficulties breathing etc, I'm one who travels with my Bully's often, and I always keep bottled water in my vehicle for them, and make sure it's refrigerated, I even giver them a water bowl, with ice cubes in it, just so they stay cool during the day. I've noticed now in the summer, how the heat zaps their energy levels. Their not tolerant to hot weather for long periods at all, most in the southern states, and even midwest, keep children's swimming pools in their yards, just for them to play in, Mine love water, and love to play in it, and it keeps them cool, so theirs many options for them to get exercise, and stay cool and healthy too. I know many other members will have some wonderful advise, as we all tend to deal with this same problem during the summers. Please enjoy yourself, and I look foreword to your questions. :yes:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. As mentioned above me bullies and heat do not mix very well so exposure in moderation for short periods is best and always have water on hand for them. Can't wait to see pics of your baby. We have a kidde pool in the back yard for Harlea to play in and if the sprinkler is on it is game on. However even with her playing in the water we still try to limit her time in the heat to one 10 or 15 minutes tops.

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Hi MG and Marlee Welcome! Glad that you found us! The heat is really hard on our furbabies. There are things like cooling pads that can help keep your little one a bit cooler during these hot months. Can't wait to see pictures of your little one!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new baby. The heat isn't that bad on them as long as you don't let them stay outside very long. When it's hot outside we just let ours out to do their business and back in they come.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Grats on your baby! I can't add anything to the great advice you've already been given above. I'm glad you joined EBN, it is a great site w great ppl! :smileywelcome:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So glad y'all have joined us and Congratulations on your 1st bully, how exciting!

You're right about the heat, especially add in high humidity...dangerous for bullies
& it happens very fast. Not only does their short snouts create breathing difficulties,
many bullies have very NARROW windpipes, some as narrow as a straw. Imagine
trying to draw enough air thru a straw, even w/out heat & humidity...difficult!

Limit her going outside to potty time then back inside. Dawn or dusk is okay to do a
short 10 minute walk, a wading pool is great for 10-15 minutes, car rides with A/C
are enjoyable and once she has all shots, puppy classes w/you will be exercise and
good socialization skills. Later still, maybe enroll in doggy daycare once a week for
fun & exercise. Check them out very carefully to be sure they understand bulldog's
needs, I've heard horror stories of deaths because THEY didn't get how quickly they
overheat. Again, Welcome and GOD bless!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN... I am sure everyone would love to see pictures of your bully baby. If you need help posting them, just holler. Enjoy the site. ;)

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Hello and Welcome! So glad you found us. We would love to see pictures of your baby.

The best advise about the heat I can give you is this: Please, please, please do not leave an EB outside unattended. If they are going outside to potty or poop, stay with them the entire time. Our vet stresses this everytime we see him. We've heard stories of people that will take them out, their phone rings, they go get it and forget their baby is outside and before you know it, heat stroke.

Can't wait read more about your adventures

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to you and your little girl, Marlee!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online