New Bulldog Owner

turnermama

Jul 17, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Munson
My family and I are getting a 5 yr. old male named Munson today. We currently own a Shih-Tzu that we love but a friend that is transferring due to a job and will be unable to take Munson with him, had to get rid of him. We are so excited to get him but just wandering if anyone had any tips for first time bulldog owners. We have wanted an English Bulldog for years and are excited about our new addition to the family. I would appreciate any tips on food, grooming or anything that is a must to know. We plan on keeping him indoors and will have a crate for him for night time use like we do our shih tzu. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. You have found the right place for a wealth of bully information on everything you could possibly imagine across a wide range of topics of general bully information to food and health. Please feel free to peruse the other forums as there is a whole lot of information to absorb which may seem overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it. Many of the people here feed their babies one of the Fromm's variety of food and we have a lot of other that either feed a raw diet or home cook for their fur-kids. don't be afraid to ask questions.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there and Welcome! Glad you joined us! It's very exciting bringing a new pup home! He may be a little anxious in the beginning due to the change (most bullies don't like change OCD) lol there are a lot of great articles about caring for a bullie, grooming, and feeding! We are all here to help if you need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hi! welcome! This is site is wonderful :) Lots of chew toys! They love antlers. Well at least mine does lol And like [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] said, dont be afraid to ask anything.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
My family and I are getting a 5 yr. old male named Munson today. We currently own a Shih-Tzu that we love but a friend that is transferring due to a job and will be unable to take Munson with him, had to get rid of him. We are so excited to get him but just wandering if anyone had any tips for first time bulldog owners. We have wanted an English Bulldog for years and are excited about our new addition to the family. I would appreciate any tips on food, grooming or anything that is a must to know. We plan on keeping him indoors and will have a crate for him for night time use like we do our shih tzu. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to EBN, here are a few links to articles that should help you get started. As the other's have said please please please ask as many questions as you have, everyone is here to help

Articles on food
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?194-bulldog-food-and-nutrition

Some info regarding the breed
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?188-English-Bulldog-educational-information

Articles regarding health issues and allergies
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?175-bulldog-health

I would ask your friend what they are currently feeding him and get that to start, don't be surprised if it takes him a few days to warm up and really start eating his food. When we travel with Bacon is usually takes him a few days to find his rhythm and start eating normally.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:)

How sad your friend had to Rehome his Bully..but how fortunate for you! Like said above, keep him on his same ood for now..let him settle on. Lots of new changes for him. Bully's are famous for not liking things different or out of place. Just love him, give him time and you will find yourself in love..

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Welcome and Congratulations!! This site will answer any questions you may have, many of us has been there, done that!!! Any question is welcomed!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi and welcome to the EBN family. We really are like family when it comes to caring, and giving advice on our bully babies. You will find lots of information on everything bully related from food, allergies, health, and lots of great people to ask questions and advice from. You can read all the forums for pretty much any topic you are looking for, and if you can't find it, there are always people on here who will jump in and answer your questions or concerns. Looking forward to seeing you on here and please share lots of pictures of Munsen.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Congratulations on your new addition to your family! You got some great advice above as well as some very helpful links to read up on. Make sure you include Lots of love and patience and hugs and kisses and Munson is bound to feel at home. Just will take time for him to adjust to his new environment and family.

Welcome to EBN!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

The others have you covered on advice, but if you have any specific needs or questions after reading -- please ask away, someone will be able to assist.

Thanks for giving Munson a new home!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN!!!!!!!! You hit the jackpot when you signed up here. EBN is THEE place to be for info about English Bullies. What isnt in an article can be found in a discussion. Dont hesitate to ask questions in the appropriate forum... That is why we are here.. to help. I look forward to seeing pix of your new 'owner' and hearing the trials and tribulations of this new adventure.. LOL Enjoy the ride! Bullies are a looooong ways from a Shitzu . ;)

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
:smileywelcome: to EBN! I am also proudly owned by a Shih-Tzu and an English Bulldog. You are about to have a lot of fun!!!

Most Reactions

Members online