I'm new so I hope I get all of this right.

Daisy Mom

Nov 6, 2010
Waupun, Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hello Everyone.
My name is Ruth and my bulldog's name is Daisy. My husband, Gene, and I also have 2 boys ages 7 & 4. And we all love our Daisy "Dukester!" :luv: Most of the time we call her Dukie-Dukes. I found this site through google and I think it's quite interesting. I originally was looking for information regarding the itchyness under her neck and if it was due to her food or environmental allergies. Daisy will itch under there to the point where she will get a "hot spot" and it's very nasty sometimes. This does happen year-round although spring and fall I believe are the worst times for this. I had her on Taste of The Wild salmon formula, but has changed it to the bison & venison formula. I didn't think that changing the flavor would cause such a mess in the mornings! Holy loose stools! Anyways throughout the year, like Molly in the before & after food pics, Daisy also has some tear stains and the wrinkle above her nose also gets very pink and seems to be discomforting to her. I do try to keepit cleaned out. I use pet wipes by Paul Mitchell (I'm a hairstylist) because they are specially formulated just for pets. So I am wondering what I should do. If anyone could give me some tips, that would be GREAT!!
Thank you for your time

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Welcome Welcome!!!! So glad you've found us this is the best place for bully advice,great friends,support and also a good laugh. My Georgia use to get reallly red under her neck so we started giving her benadryl and washing with selsun blue which really helps. I also switched her to a corn,wheat and soy free food so and we havent had any problems since then. I won't even let her have treats until I check the ingrediants. She also has to eat out of stainless steel bowls becasue the plastic was also causing a reaction even though no other plastic does.A food switch usually takes about 6wks but with my EB he has to take a fiber,probiotic and enzyte supplement for loose stool. We havent had tear stains wince I took out the allergy related things but I do wipe my EB's nose and tail with Glen Haven f3/w wipes... they work wonders and also prevent yeast. Hope this helps

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Daisy Mom, I am glad you posted your question! I just want to say your Daisy is a pretty girl :heart:

I have a question, did you switch her food slow or did you just switch? Also as [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] mentioned make sure you are using a stainless steel or ceramic bowl. This can cause chin acne and irritation on the neck and chin area.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
welcome daisy is tooo cute!!! sorry dont have any info on allergies but the girls that do know a thing or 2 about it are great!!!

OP
Daisy Mom

Daisy Mom

Nov 6, 2010
Waupun, Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
She eats out of a large ceramic bowl about 9 inches inches in diameter. ( I found that if the bowl is larger it helps keep the food crums out of the wrinkles) I was down to about a cup of her last food when i switched so it was an all out switch. Even though it was the same brand & different flavor, I know better now. Thank you.

OP
Daisy Mom

Daisy Mom

Nov 6, 2010
Waupun, Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
i will have to give the benedryl n wipes a try. do you give it to her everyday or just when you notice redness? Where do you get the wipes?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
1 pill for every 25 lbs, My Vegas weighs 63 so he gets 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, I give it to him any day I see him itching his face, he has lots of allergies and is currently on a grain/gluten free diet, eats out of metal bowls, and I wipe his face every single day with non-scented baby wipes with aloe., then make sure it is dry, and you also can use desitin (for diaper rash) on the spot, it has helped his hot spots. My vet even says to use 100% pure cornstarch in his wrinkles and spots.

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
Hi and welcome you and Daisy. Gatorfan85 is right about the bowls I have 2 bullies Mack 4 and a foster Blossom who had huge skin issues when she first got here. I changed her bowls to ceramic so I would keep the bowl you have. As far as the food Mack had been on Taste of the wild for 6 months and did well on it but still had some tear stains and when Blossom came I switched her to it to but she did not do well on it. I think it was the potato in it, so after reading everything I could on here and every where else I could about food I put them both on Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-free and it's potato free. They have both been on it now for 4 weeks and they're doing great, I did the switch very slowly as not upset their systems especially Blossom's. She is sensitive to everything and her owners never bothered to look into what was making her sick or why. Mack eats very little of the dry food only a 1/2 cup a day the rest he gets is real meat and veggies. Blossom gets all of that food and nothing else she can't have beef or chicken because she gets all red and itches to tell she makes her self bleed. The nice thing about the Nature's Variety Instinct is once on it you cab switch between the main protein and not worry because everything else is the same. So you can try chicken, duck, rabbit or salmon and not worry that she's getting bored, plus they have canned, raw and treats all in that food. As far as the benadryl if it's just her chin I might wait before giving it every day till after you try the food and I wash Blossom's face after every time she eats with spa facial scrub then dry and use a Glen Haven F3W wipe around her mouth and chin. That has worked wonderful for me, Blossom was taking 2 Benadryl in the AM and 2 in the PM and now she takes none at all. It has made a huge difference all the way around she is no longer falling asleep looking at me from the Benadryl and all the redness and itching has stopped. Almost forgot Mack has no more tear stains at all since I switched foods. Well hope this helps you and please remember every bully is different but the food does make a huge difference in them and those wipes saved Mack's tail and Blossom's face, they get rid of any yeast. When you introduce anything new do it just like when your kids were little and first starting to eat one thing at a time so you know if she's allergic to it or not, that's how I figured out what Blossom was allergic to and what not. Good Luck let me know if I can help in any way I am always around.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If she has really runny poops you can give her a bland diet for a 24-48 hour period. This is just cooked rice and boiled chicken or hamburger. Then slowly add the kibble into some rice for another 24 hours and you should not have anymore issues. (hopefully)

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=1467]Daisy Mom[/MENTION] I also use the Benadyl daily and on some occasions Allavert.The glen Haven wipes are at Petsmart the vet inside Banfield. I've been trying to find an online retailer but no luck yet.(I hate driving)

London Canine

Oct 19, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkie and Chubbie Chops
Piggie Pie gets this rash when I switch from TOW chicken to fish. Although I give him a squirt of omega 3 fatty oils (which is fish based) in his food. Apple cider vinegar unfiltered will help and is always good to put in their food and water daily. It has MANY health benefits. Also, you can use coconut oil which is an awesome holistic ingredient that has many skin, health, benefits. Contact me if you have any questions. Nice to have you here!

OP
Daisy Mom

Daisy Mom

Nov 6, 2010
Waupun, Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Ann: thank you so much. it sounds like i should maybe try a different kind of food. I think i will wait until her spot is healed a little better though. her hot spot is so gross right now. its gooey and stinky. i've been spraying her with the stuff i got from the vet so hopfully it will get better fast. any other ideas on helping that heal fast would be great too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.