New bulldog owner and need advice

Asil1030

Jul 10, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Koo koo
Hi there! My family and I just adopted a 3yr old female from a very reputable breeder that conducts health screenings, has champion dogs, etc.
She is such a sweetheart, though we have only had her a few days. She is extremely shy and just starting to come out her shell.
I have a 3 year old and an 11month old. My bulldog adores my 3 year old but does something very strange sometimes in the presence of my 11 month old. I really hope someone on here can please provide me some insight as its making me uneasy. She doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in her body but just recently started licking my 11 month old while air humping. It is very bizarre and I am not sure what this is. She is spayed and doesn't show any aggression towards her.... Just this crazy behavior. Help!!!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
First of all, WELCOME !!! to EBN, it's a great web site, the best on the web for English Bull Dogs. Their are plenty of information articles here, and great advice, wonderful folks here who will generously share personal experiences, help, and tips.

The answer to your question, Air Humping an 11 month old is simple. English Bull Dogs like any other breed of dog out there are members of a pack, in their natural environment. So the answer is " Dominance " your Bully is trying to establish pecking order in the pack, or best said its place. Both of mine humped me the first few days I had them, establishing pecking order is crucial. Other things they do are put there chin over another pet or human, another form of dominance, when they roll over on their belly, their allowing you dominance over them. For an adult, or older child to establish dominance over a new pet, the easiest form of doing so, is to hand feed the pet, when he/she eats from your hand, they take that as a form of submission, and thus, the humping, or race for dominance is over! That Simple. It's very important for your pet to figure out for its peace of mind, where he/she fits in, lets tag a few others who may have some better input on how to establish dominance for an 11 month old child @Davidh, @JeannieCO, @cali~jenn, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], one other thing, in all fairness, sometimes in a Bully's life, they will hump out of excitement, more often than not, it's dominance. Remember, your bully can't ask you these questions, so they speak to you by actions, it's up to you to define their questions and communicate back to them. Training is also very important, Especially with a Bully, because lol, at times they are bull headed stubborn, bound and determined to get their way, just as you walk your Bully, it's very important where he/she walks in relation to you. Beside you, or slightly behind you is good, YOU must lead, your the Alpha Dog, your the pack leader, NO exceptions, when you cross a threshold, like of a door, hallway, etc, you MUST be first, your pet follows you, it's all part of being the pack leader, and most importantly for your pet to understand his/her relationship to the pack. Their are some really good books out there about understanding and overcoming dominance issues, besides potty training, house breaking, probably the next hardest task to accomplish, but first you must fully understand it to conquer the task, you and your pet will much more enjoy life together once completed, and your pet will have a great understanding with no confusion when it comes time to be obedient and to whom. Trust me, it sounds a lot worse than it truly is. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN...... I moved your post here because you will probably get a better response... and besides we all like to welcome new members. We also like to see pix of you bully... hint hint.. lol Enjoy the site and make yourself at home :)

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Welcome! It does sound like dominance and I agree 100% w Casper's advice. Look forward to seeing pics of your new bully! :D

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Welcome to EBN... I totally agree w/Casper. I made my kids & grandson feed all our dogs to make sure they understand who's in charge... LOL Good Luck :D

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION] gave great advice. I do have to say cutty used to get overly excited when around little kids too. He would play with them and by the end of the day be trying to hump one. :lol: in that case he was playing, taking it a bit far. Haha in your case, being so new it could be either, excitement or dominance. hand feeding is a fabulous way to make sure the pecking order is followed. Having a 3 year old, allow her to watch how you do it so that she can start helping hand feed as well. I, knowing whati know now, would hand feed any new pup coming not my home just for this reason. Wish I knew to try it years ago.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=9316]Asil1030[/MENTION] ... first of welcome to EBN!!

When you say 'air hump' is KooKoo trying to mount the baby of is she just standing near them and her back arches and she humps in place?

OP
A

Asil1030

Jul 10, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Koo koo
Thanks everyone! No, she isn't coming anywhere close to trying to mount the baby. She's just sitting next to her, while licking and humping. I tried the hand feed all morning and she's still doing it. Ugh!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks everyone! No, she isn't coming anywhere close to trying to mount the baby. She's just sitting next to her, while licking and humping. I tried the hand feed all morning and she's still doing it. Ugh!
Hand feeding takes time to sink in. Make her work for each handful by practicing her tricks. Have her sit/stay and take your time with each handful you I've so that she understands that you are in control of her food. She could just be excited by the baby but hand feeding is a good way to establish the pecking order anyow.

bullie mom

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxie & Memphis Sammy (RIP after 13 good years)
Welcome from another new member!!

We went through a similar situation with our now 11 year old bulldog when we first got her. At the time she was around 4 years old and had been used as a breeder female in a puppy mill situation. She was infatuated with our son, who was 5 at the time and very small. She would sit next to him, drool/lick to the point of being soaked, and scoot her bottom (female parts) on the floor. She really didn't show this behavior with anyone else, just our son. We tried the hand feeding, but she isn't very gently when taking food from the hand. What eventually took care of the problem was putting her on a leash and having him walk her around, telling her to sit, heel, etc. Since she outweighed him and was so much stronger than he was, we started out in the house just walking around in the living room and kitchen, etc. Eventually I put her in a harness with a super long retrieval line and put the leash on the collar and we went outside to the yard. That way if she got too strong I could maintain control with the harness and long line. It took almost all summer, but eventually the undesirable behavior stopped and the bond between my son and the dog is very much established with him in the leadership role. Bulldogs can be very stubborn, so patience and repetition are your friend. Good luck and enjoy your new bullie!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome from another new member!!

We went through a similar situation with our now 11 year old bulldog when we first got her. At the time she was around 4 years old and had been used as a breeder female in a puppy mill situation. She was infatuated with our son, who was 5 at the time and very small. She would sit next to him, drool/lick to the point of being soaked, and scoot her bottom (female parts) on the floor. She really didn't show this behavior with anyone else, just our son. We tried the hand feeding, but she isn't very gently when taking food from the hand. What eventually took care of the problem was putting her on a leash and having him walk her around, telling her to sit, heel, etc. Since she outweighed him and was so much stronger than he was, we started out in the house just walking around in the living room and kitchen, etc. Eventually I put her in a harness with a super long retrieval line and put the leash on the collar and we went outside to the yard. That way if she got too strong I could maintain control with the harness and long line. It took almost all summer, but eventually the undesirable behavior stopped and the bond between my son and the dog is very much established with him in the leadership role. Bulldogs can be very stubborn, so patience and repetition are your friend. Good luck and enjoy your new bullie!!!

Wonderful Advice! :up:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I really have nothing of value to add as others have given you great advice already so I will just say :welcome: to the site.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.