Question on Umbilical Hernia, and Puppy Pictures!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well Skeet is a cutie and the umbilical hernia is no big deal as long as it is fairly small and can be fixed when he is neutered it you are going to neuter him. Ones that are bigger, say over a 1/2" you need to watch as these could let the intestines come through and could cause a problem. Most of the time they are small and do not cause a problem, and if they are small enough, they may close up on their own.

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site and what a cutie.... You have received some good info from those above me so I wish you good luck when you get your fur baby.

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Thank you all so so so much! :) I just now had the chance to log in. We should be getting our little guy next week HOPEFULLY! Our breeder is doing their final puppy check with her vet this week, and she is going to get his procedure for his hernia done next week once he's 8 weeks. She said it is typically only a few days for healing/recovery, so fingers are crossed that he's ready and we can bring him home next Friday! Ahhhhh! This has been the longest four months waiting for him. I'm taking two days off work just to make sure he's comfortable where he is, and gets used to his new little world. Totally may be overboard, butttttt I don't care. I never take a vacation anyway! :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well sheet is a cutie and the umbilical hernia is no big deal as long as it is fairly small and can be fixed when he is neutered it you are going to neuter him. Ones that are bigger, say over a 1/2" you need to watch as these could let the intestines come through and could cause a problem. Most of the time they are small and do not cause a problem, and if they are small enough, they may close up on their own.

:goodpost:

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
I purchased a 7 month old EB from a breeder in July 2012. He had the umbilical hernia issue, he was operated on at an early age and he has a nice size scar on his belly. I had him checked out by a vet once I got him home and the doctor said it is nothing to worry about at all. It has NOT affected Eli in any way shape or form. He runs and plays just like any other dog. Good luck with Porter!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki had a hernia too! They operated on it when he was about 12 weeks he has a scar on his belly but he hasn't had any problems since it healed all the way. Porter is such a handsome boy! Congrats

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OMG Porter is adorable! :welcome: to the EBN family!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:) We are getting Skeet. His name will definitely be Porter, but he's our guy. We just called and confirmed with our breeder. She said he will get the surgery at eight weeks, then we will get him after. I'd rather do that just to be sure everything is a-okay. It doesn't seem to be a huge deal, but I'm glad to hear from someone who's had a puppy with it that it's really not an issue. :)

Honestly, I'd ask the breeder for a discount (to pay for the additional surgery, if that's an issue) and have it done when he gets neutered instead. Bea had one and when she got spayed, the vet stitched it up at that time. I didn't ask for a discount. It's a common thing apparently.

Putting a puppy under for surgery.... I would be concerned.

Congrats on your new pup. Porter is a doll baby.

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Thank y'all all so much, again! :)

Well, today was supposed to be THE DAY for him to get his surgery, and between his puppy check last week and today, he's got himself a little respiratory infection. With that, of course they're postponing the surgery to make sure he's a-okay to have the surgery, so it will be another week or so before we get him. I feel better with our breeder getting that done before we get him, especially since he's only known them, that will give him another week or so with an environment he's used to, and will have the time needed to heal. Honestly, as much as I want him, I want to do the best thing for him! I checked with my vet today, and since we are choosing to not neuter him, or not for a very long time, they said him getting the surgery as a puppy was okay. I will never feel just fabulous about a puppy or any dog going under, just cause I'm a wimp and it makes me nervous, but I suppose they have more experience and knowledge than I do.

I have a whole other idea and question popping in my head after finding out that Porter's sister hasn't been reserved or 'picked' yet. In his litter, it was him, another baby boy, and one girl. I hadn't seen her or any pictures of her, since our breeder knew we wanted a boy (first), and then today it was mentioned that the little girl hadn't been picked and is the only one left out of two full litters. Another dog had a litter of 7 one week apart! She's an absolute munchkin with the sweetest face and powder white little body, and I want her too! I need input and advice on that, if it's okay or recommended one way or another to not have two little ones at the same time, or if it really doesn't matter, and so forth. I'm about to make that post! I need guidance. Hahaha! I am having a hard time knowing she wasn't picked and the only one left!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
If you are up for it go for it! You will probably never have another chance like this again. There are many opinions out there about having siblings that grow up together, which is basically what you would have, but no proof whether it is good or bad. I would avoid putting two males together but a male and a female I think is great!

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness had one & we just had it done when he was neutered. Our breeder said she had it done but our vet didn't think so and went ahead and fixed it while doing the neuter so he didn't have to go under again. From what I remember I didn't have a heart attack when they told me the cost.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.