Question on Umbilical Hernia, and Puppy Pictures!

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Good Afternoon All! :) Hope you're having a great day! It has been forever since I've been on here, because logging on everyday without a puppy was just upping up my anxiety. Ha!! So, I got an e-mail from my breeder today and she sent pictures of three puppies that are available. We are determined to get a boy, and the two we like are below. Honestly, we're sold on Skeet. :) He has my heart!! My only question for you guys is about an umbilical hernia. From what I've read, it's not an issue. Is this something that I should be concerned about, would it affect him at any point in his life, or likely to? I know no one can predict the future, but I wanted to see what you guys think or know about it. Should this be something I concern myself with or be a 'red flag' in the future? One of the puppies has it, and I just want to know more about it. I'm doing the research online, but wanted to see if there were any personal experiences to share.

Here are the boys below! I'm 99% sure Skeet will be our "Porter"... Ah, I can smell the puppy breath now! I. Can't. Wait.

Image.jpgImage 1.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 3.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Our bulldog had a litter of pups in Dec, and one of her puppies had an umbilical hernia. We just had to clean her up, and it actually dried up & fell off on it's own. He had told us that if it didn't heal up we would have to do surgery, but by the time she went to her forever home it had healed up. I don't think this is a major issue, in fact I believe they do that surgery when the spay/neuter them... but I would consult a Vet to be sure. They both are REALLY CUTE... OMG!!!

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
:) We are getting Skeet. His name will definitely be Porter, but he's our guy. We just called and confirmed with our breeder. She said he will get the surgery at eight weeks, then we will get him after. I'd rather do that just to be sure everything is a-okay. It doesn't seem to be a huge deal, but I'm glad to hear from someone who's had a puppy with it that it's really not an issue. :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I honestly think it's pretty common... our Vet said it was because all the pups were sucking on each other!!! LOL I've only had one litter, so believe me I don't consider myself an expert.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake and 3 of his brothers had umbilical hernias. They often disappear on their own, Jake's was repaired at the same time as his neuter. We were to,d they are caused by the mother when she messes with the umbilical area. Too much and too hard can cause these. They are lumps on the inside it did cost a bit more with the neuter, but my breeder paid for it.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I have no experience with the umblical hernias, but I just wanted to say:welcome: to EBN! Porter is a cutie pie!!!

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Thank y'all so much! I'm so excited. I absolutely can't wait to get him. It's nice to hear all the good reports on the hernias. Since we aren't getting him neutered, I'm actually glad she's getting his procedure done for the hernia. At least that way I know he'll be safe and sound! We have been waiting on this little guy since March, when we put our deposit down. Finally, there were some puppies born and now we're actually within weeks of bringing our little guy home! I have most things ready, but going to start stocking up on toys and some small things! Y'all have a great day! :)

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
[MENTION=8480]Kymberly[/MENTION] Both are cuties but I totally agree with your choice! Melt your heart cuteness :rolleyes: And love the name Porter!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh -- I would be so all over Skeet too.... they are both cuteness galore, but Skeet has my favorite coloring. BEST OF LUCK!!!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby had an umbilical hernia. They said it was fine to leave as is or we could operate to have it stitched up. We opted to have the hernia repaired when he went in for his cherry eye. What a waste of money that was lol the lunatic managed to partially tear it. Vet said its fine and no need to worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the choice of puppy I say take all of them :luv:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
congrats! Looking forward to lots of pics of Porter once you get him home!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.