Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kevin, and I just joined the forum as I recently purchased my first English Bulldog after years of wanting one and months of searching for the right one! Next Tuesday we will be welcoming the arrival of 8 week old Bruno, a Tri-black Bully bred in Florida.

I have never had a dog before, so a new puppy brings excitement and anxiousness all at the same time. My time spent before he arrives will be and has been figuring out what I need to do and buy. If anyone has recommendations on what food to get him, what kind of crate, etc. I'm all ears!

Kevin

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:dancing:

Ohhh Boy Kevin! Are you in for a ride! There are wonderful articles here about getting prepared. I read and read before Jake came home. If you go to the Home page here on the forum..and look along the left side..you will find them.

As far as food, make sure you have what he has been eating at the breeders. You can always slowly transition him to a different food later, but don't want to start off with an upset tummy!

Hope you are crate training. It makes housebreaking so much easier and keeps him safe too!

Most of all..enjoy him and love..love him! In a blink of an eye, he will be a big beautiful guy! :)

MommaLovesDEXTER

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Welcome Kevin and baby Bruno! Dexter was our first dog too I can't believe a year has gone by. We got our boy @ 9 wks . I agree create training to housebreak him is a must. You can get puppy training pads for around the house to prevent accidents until he learns to go outside. Being patience Being and consistent is the only way also socialize him as much as possible. They are so worth it! We are ready for our second bully in the next yr or two. They're a blast the best breed ever;) Good Luck!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Kevinā€¦. and :smileywelcome:ā€¦ā€¦ Wow, I don't know where to start firstā€¦.. You have 8 weeks to get prepared, and bully's are not Novice Petsā€¦. Not usually for first time Pet owners, because of the maintenance, But if anyone can get you prepared, You've found the right place, and the only place in the world with so much experience, and the generosity of the folks here to share so much information. @JAKEISGREAT Gave you excellent advice about the food, Find "EXACTLY" what the little guy is eating, It's so important, you may want to take the bag with you to the pet store, you may vary in size of the bag, but Brand name, and Formula, and even the size of the kibble are extremely important, the last thing you want to do on day one, is to upset his tummy, and their tummys are so sensitive. Crate training as Becky mentioned is also very important, First for potty training, but also as a measure of security for your puppy. See in the wild, these guys run in packs, compete for food, and find a secure place to bed down, where they find security, Same with your pet, he will find security in the crate, it will also protect him from roaming inside, chewing an electric wire or getting into trouble if you have to step out for a moment.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...ou-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog&

This is an article of 35 things you should have readily available if you have an English Bull Dog, Prepare these items before his arrival.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

This article is written from your Puppys stand point, and a Gr8 introduction to Bully Pupps

Another thing to consider is Pet Insurance, as a puppy, it's cheaper, and he doesn't have the preexistence clauses, This was from a discussion on the board, lots of gr8 ideasā€¦.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...insurance-recommendations&highlight=insurance

This last article i'm sending you is dog food ratings, compare the food he's on to better foods out their for your puppy, and for future growth foodsā€¦..

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings&

Now Kevin, I'm thinking your going to find all this information overwhelming, but at the same time, you only have 8 weeks to get preparedā€¦.. So I know I'm tossing a lot out there to you, and so many others will have gr8 knowledge and advice to you, But we need to get you prepared for your puppys arrivalā€¦ā€¦ Your English Bull Dog puppy isn't an ordinary petā€¦.. and really not a first time pet because of the maintenance issues, I also do a lot of shopping on Amazon, good prices etc, even found my last crate their, and did the 2 day free shipping on it, and became a member of their club, consider this, as It will save you a mintā€¦. Wow, I'm overwhelmed for you, But we will get you ready and preparedā€¦ā€¦.

OP
Kmb470

Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hey [MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION], thanks for all the links. Many of which I have already reviewed and/or printed out for reference. As for the prep time, I think you may have read it wrong. He's arriving next week, but is currently 7.5-8 weeks old! So looks like I have a lot of work to do.

As for food, he currently is being fed Hill Science Diet small bites by the breeder, and from what i have seen in the food rankings, we can do much better. I'd like to transition him to something in the 5 or 6 start category. I want Bruno to be eating the best foods in order to stay healthy and keep that great appearance.

As for crate training, I am a 9-5er and my girlfriend is a teacher, so I will be taking the week off that he arrives to get him acclimmated, and after next week my gf will be around until the end of the summer all day to take care of him. We'd ideally like to have him crate trained as soon as possible so that during the day while we're at work, he has a happy and comfortable environment. We both work very close to where we live, so if for awhile I need to come home during lunch to feed and walk him, I can do so with minimal inconvenience. I dont want him being confined to the crate all day, so we have a very large kitchen space we'd like to baby gate off for him to roam around, eat, play and relax while we're gone. Hopefully the crate can be his little personal area to come back to but still have some space.

I printed out the 35 things to have, and I'd like within a few weeks to have everything. I think for me the biggest thing right now is finding the right crate (one with a divider I hear is idea) and know how to properly crate train him!

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice, Im really excited to get this guy in our lives!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YO, fellow Philly girl here! :welcome3: to EBN!!! [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] is also in south Philly

A little guideline to help with house breaking.... they can hold their bladder for 1 hr more than they are months old.... so, little man will be 2 months when you get him... 3 hours is his limit. Take him out within 15 mins of eat, playing and as soon as he wakes up.

Best of luck .... and welcome to the WONDERFUL world of Bulldogs

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Looking forward to seeing lots of pics of Bruno when you get them to share!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Welcome. Look forward to your posts and pics. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or concerns, there are tons of seasoned veterans in all things bully here.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey @Casper, thanks for all the links. Many of which I have already reviewed and/or printed out for reference. As for the prep time, I think you may have read it wrong. He's arriving next week, but is currently 7.5-8 weeks old! So looks like I have a lot of work to do.

As for food, he currently is being fed Hill Science Diet small bites by the breeder, and from what i have seen in the food rankings, we can do much better. I'd like to transition him to something in the 5 or 6 start category. I want Bruno to be eating the best foods in order to stay healthy and keep that great appearance.

As for crate training, I am a 9-5er and my girlfriend is a teacher, so I will be taking the week off that he arrives to get him acclimmated, and after next week my gf will be around until the end of the summer all day to take care of him. We'd ideally like to have him crate trained as soon as possible so that during the day while we're at work, he has a happy and comfortable environment. We both work very close to where we live, so if for awhile I need to come home during lunch to feed and walk him, I can do so with minimal inconvenience. I dont want him being confined to the crate all day, so we have a very large kitchen space we'd like to baby gate off for him to roam around, eat, play and relax while we're gone. Hopefully the crate can be his little personal area to come back to but still have some space.

I printed out the 35 things to have, and I'd like within a few weeks to have everything. I think for me the biggest thing right now is finding the right crate (one with a divider I hear is idea) and know how to properly crate train him!

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice, Im really excited to get this guy in our lives!

omgā€¦. I did misread it, I thought you were getting him in 8 weeks, Man Oh Man, I recently adopted a Bully (Rambo), had 1.5 week notice, and thats only because he spent 1 week in Rescue home with [MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION] in Florida, until I could drive over from New Orleans to Lake City Florida to pick him up. Already having a Bully (Rocky), I was in pretty good shape, Having most of what I needed. I ordered a Midwest Crate from Amazon, 42X36 one, It came with a divider, to limit his space. Limiting his space forces him not to sleep/Lay in his own urine. If he's given space, trust me, He will make use of it, or as 2BullyMama explained, hour longer than month of age (Gr8 Information by Christine) take it to heartā€¦.. You can also order the 20 oz midwest bowl(s) that fasten on the side of the cage, secured by a special bracket and Wing Nuts on the back, bowls just slide right in, another member [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] taught me this, Excellent Idea and advice, their off the floor, and even my 55 pound Bully doesn't knock his down. Gives him more floor space, while making good use of the cage, and keeps it clean :2thumbs:, Science diet is junk food, once upon a time was seriously about the best you could get, They've thrived on that reputation for years, Their time is done, Vets still push this food for the kick backs they get, You can do so much better, Rocky was on purina when I first got him, big kibbles, I bought small kibbles, totally screwed his tummy up, Evidently different formula, Purina is junk, I stepped up to what my Vet recommended, Blue Buffalo, as I found this siteā€¦. Found the Blue Buffalo Grain free, sensitive formula was lacking protein my boys needed, switched again, still Blue Buffalo, Salmon and Potato Grain free, Wilderness, 6*'s, they love it, Their coats are so softā€¦.I'll take that with them getting proper nutrients and Vitamins, [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] would be the member to seek after getting your bully and wanting to make the Transition, One of the Best English Bull Dog Breeders I know, uses Fromm's Gold in a pink bag, puppy formula, Not allowed to advertise for him, so I won't mention his name, But his opinion speaks volumes to me and most every other member on this sight, Check it out!! Duoxo Pads can be found at Amazon, Man Oh Man, get them and use them on your babies wrinkles, and tail pocket, I finally did the free 2 day shipping thing with Amazon, $79 annual fee, I well exceed this in my savings, and I use them a lot, PetFlow is a good online source for food and other supplies, I'm frugal, and shop around, the crate I needed was only $70 bucks, PetSmart and other wanted more than $100, I had it in 2 days, and feel with the divider, its a good starter crate, and divider can be moved further over as he grows. putting him in your kitchen to begin with, I feel is too big a space, he will make use of the floor space, Until he gets older, I would recommend the crate, He's probably being crate trained as we speak, when he gets another month old, and can hold it for say 5 hours a time, a lunch break and walk will be great, but until then just considering your options. Puppys love to roam and love to chew, puppy proofing your area you keep him will be a big plus. Rambo, my 10 month old, hangs out with me in my shop, and loves to bump a power strip around, Skeery, because I don't want him to bite into an electric cordā€¦.:no: I do shop Petsmart often, when I need something in a hurry, or want to size one up for an online order lol, also both of mine are like Rock Stars at Pet Smart and gladly have the reputation of being their official greeter, I like it to, because it keeps them so social, with other pets, and with children/adults alike, Just part of a bigger plan for them to be so social. Also I found a Harness For Rocky and Rambo at Petsmart, made the purchase, both of mine LOVE car rides, I trained them both to sit in the back seat, and use a safety restraint to keep them from roaming, and safe for a low speed city accident also, we recently discussed a high speed or interstate accident, as a gamble for any Petā€¦.. Acclimate your pet for car rides is also a plus, Please use a Pet safety restraint, just as you use a seatbeltā€¦..Please if their are any questions, please hit me up here, or post on the forum, your now part of the EBN family, and here you'll find we don't just talk the talk, We also Walk the Walk, our Bully's are truly members of our families, and mine get peeved if they don't get their scoop of Vanilla Ice cream at 8 pm sharp, I get the stink eyes !! Your in such great hands here, and the advice is both Generously given by Bully Owners, and many seek this sight and just research, Glad your a participant, and as [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] said, We REALLY LOVE pictures here. Man oh Man, your in for a heck of a Ride, meaning, these guys are like computers, Instead of Intel inside, they read Personality inside. They have an abundance of love to give, love to snuggle, and they quickly get into your hearts, and wrap you around their little Pawsā€¦.. I tell everyone, I use to be strictly Cocker Spaniels, I got one English Bull Dawg, and I'm totally sold on these little guys !! I once sought a question here, 2 weeks later I was a member, and the rest is historyā€¦. I'm hooked on my Bully, and making life easier for them bothā€¦.. My Guys are spoiled rotten !! but so is everyone else's, I read the other day a thread saying we were fixing to be weirded out, about showering with their Bully, lol, that member was so surprised by how many of us actually did that, You never know until you ask, Please ask many questions, I'm still learning every day, I wouldn't trade the experience on this sight for anything, and the Lady that put this wonderful place together either, She was Heaven sent for our Bully's !!

OP
Kmb470

Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Thanks [MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION] and everyone else! I have a lot to digest in such a short time, but I am pretty excited!

Thanks for the tip on crate training. I really didnt realize it meant actually leaving him in the crate, closed. I figured that was a bit cruel for that amount of time, but hopefully we can do it right from the begining, and supplement the time he can roam in the begining when we are home with walks to the dog park near by and other means of socialization.

Also, I appreciate the shopping tips, as I use Amazon for almost everything so I'm already a prime member! I think now is when it will truly come in handy! I am sure I will have some more questions, so dont be surprised to see a message or two from me in the coming days and weeks!

Tanks again everyone, this is an awesome group!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Welcome ! from a neighbor ! (we live in Delaware!) and we will keep you in the loop with bulldog activities in New Jersey (There is a Bullypooloza, and Bullyfest each spring !)

My only cringe while reading your post was 'tri-color' there are breeders out there breeding for 'tri-color' as the main reason, and Not for health or betterment of the breed.

If you have any questions :) this is the place to ask :) we have some members in the Philly area, and there are atleast 2 bulldog 'meet ups' (Philly and South Jersey)

OP
Kmb470

Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Welcome ! from a neighbor ! (we live in Delaware!) and we will keep you in the loop with bulldog activities in New Jersey (There is a Bullypooloza, and Bullyfest each spring !)

My only cringe while reading your post was 'tri-color' there are breeders out there breeding for 'tri-color' as the main reason, and Not for health or betterment of the breed.

If you have any questions :) this is the place to ask :) we have some members in the Philly area, and there are atleast 2 bulldog 'meet ups' (Philly and South Jersey)

I can assure you, with my dog and breeder, that was not the case or even a selling point. It was just mention when discussing the parents of the puppy. It just so happened both the parents carried the trait, which I guess is pretty cool.

I spent A TON of time researching and following breeders to make sure I was getting a well bred dog, and one bred for temperment as much as looks. I did not, under any circumstances, put money in the hands of any puppy mills or unethical breeders.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.