ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hello there... I've been reading your forums on bulldog dry food & decided to join. Your information has been invaluable, but it's overwhelming w/all the different choices out there!!!

Here is my bully history... we had 2 english bulldogs Bella & Winston. My husband got Bella as his retirement present, and he decided to breed her last year. She had 8 puppies, and we decided to keep Winston. We had the unfortunate luck of losing the runt Wellie in April because he had severe hydrocephalus & spinal issues. This about killed me because he was the sweetest little guy... Then last week we lost Bella during her spay, we are absolutely heartbroken over losing our beloved Bella. I'm at a complete loss over losing these 2 beautiful babies...

Winston had some gastro upset so I took him to the vets... I wasn't sure if it was related to losing Momma or just the heat. After I got on here I realized that the food I was giving him Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy may have not been the best choice for him so I've been doing some research. I'm not really sure what to start him on, but my vet suggested Purina Formula One?!! I don't really understand why he would want me to put him on Purina at all... his Mom had allergy issues, and he seems to be following suit. Any suggestions on what to start him out on I would really appreciate... he's only 6 months old!!!

Thanks you so much!!! IMG_1385.jpgIMG_1158.jpgIMG_1471.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off.... hugs to you and hubby for the loss of your sweet bullies... so sorry and must be so painful Just love the pictures you have posted.

:welcome3: to EBN!

Food can be a long trial and erro road, but we have some great members here that can help you find what will work best.,.... it sure ain't Purina.
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you for your kind words... it has been very hard losing our babies! I know they are waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge :). Your bullies are adorable, and I'm so sorry for loss... Nitschke is beautiful!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome:Winston is very handsome! Fromm's makes a great puppy food, Puppy Gold that is really great for them.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My sincere condolences on the loss of your bullies, my heart breaks
for your pain & sorrow. Yes...they wait for us at Rainbow Bridge but
there is such a wrenching loss to lose them, especially before their
time, going to the Vet's with them & leaving without them...forever,
is a cruel, hard thing...I am so very sorry.

Coming here will help heal that hole in your heart and of course, dear
Winston will help too. Love your pics, too precious!

Welcome to EBN, it'll be great to watch Winston's growth into a big bully.
GOD bless!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have heard lots of good things about Fromm's, I will have to check them out! Thanks for you help :)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] Thank you for your kindness... It's nice to know that someone understands our pain, and I'm sorry for your loss as well. Winston will keep me very busy I'm afraid... LOL :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome and I too feel so bad for your loss. Bella was a beautiful girl...I'm so happy you found us..many have been where you are.

The food thing is so overwhelming..but we have great people here to help! They will find this and chime in. The reason vets recommend foods like Purina and others they sell, is because most vets know little about nutrition. They only know what the sales reps tell them and often they get a commission..you can do much, much better!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and so sorry for your loss. It's never easy loosing one of you babies. May the rest in peace. We feed FROMM 4 star to our bullies and it's been working fine for them.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN. I am very glad you found us at this difficult time so we can support you as much as we can. I am sorry for the loss of your babies. My Arnold had a pup that only made it 24 hours and even that was a struggle.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
So sorry about the loss of your sweet bullies. I can't imagine why a vet would recommend Purina products either. So glad you've joined us.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Welcome to the family [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] :hiya:

At 6 months old, you don't have to buy "puppy food". There are many quality all stages foods that you can buy. We have a dog food ratings page here.... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings That should set you on the right path. I believe most here feed Fromm. It is a high quality, grain free, all stages food. It's not sold in Petco or Petsmarts, you will have to go to a specialty pet store or you can order it online. If you order it from Petflow.com there is a coupon code floating around here somewhere that gets you free shipping.

Of course you can always make your own dog food or feed raw. We have forums here for both of those options too.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
:smileywelcome: to EBN, you've definitely found the right place to call a home for English Bull Dogs…. Like you, I consult my Vet for many questions, He's a MD for my Bully, but isn't specifically specialized Bully MD if that makes sense….. Why he would reccoment Purina is anyone's guess, It's like "Junk Food" for our pets, They eat it, but their not really being fed by it. I'm going to enclose a thread from the Articles section of this site, and it names of the best to worst foods in a Ratings style, and alphabetical, so Please don't think No #1 on the list is best. I feed my guys Blue Buffalo Salmon and Potato, Grain free diet, it's rated 6*'s but seeing their fur coats is believing. Very soft, shiny !! But some Bully's have allergies, to things like Chicken, Potato, some of the members here cook daily for their Bully's and some cook once a week, refrigerate and feed. Loosing a Pet, for me speaking personally is Overwhelming…. The Love, Care, and for me…. I'm Selfish, I want my pet to be in my life until death do I part, I know it's unrealistic, But to tell you how Sad I am for your loss is beyond what words can describe. I'll definitely add you and your family to my thoughts and prayers. Rocky was the runt of his litter, But at 50 lbs…. He's doing quite well for himself now. I hope to read many more posts from you, and so look foreword to pictures, Were definitely a picture happy family here. Please hang in there, and hang tough…… Enjoy the site, and the best information found anywhere on the web…..

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings&

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you guys so much, I'm truly overwhelmed & brought to tears... It's amazing how kindness from complete strangers can make you feel less alone. I'm also sorry that some of you have lost your bullies as well, you never realize how empty your home feels until one of your babies is gone!!! I'm gonna do my best to take care of baby Winston, I just wish I had realized the food issue early on. I had NO idea that food could cause so many problems for bullies. My vet seemed to promote Purina just based on the facts that it's been around for years, and his dogs did fine on it... My thinking is that if I'm going to try & eat better organic food in my home, then why should my dogs be an exception if I can afford it!!! Thanks for all the input on the food, I feel so much better making an informed decision :D

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Sweetie, don't waste time feeling guilty, you did the best you could with the
knowledge at the time, as we all do. Life is a continual education and when you
know better...you do better...and that's exactly what you are doing now...THAT
is what counts! Many of us feed crappy foods, me included because we were lied
to but obviously, we looked further into it and here we are today, educated, aware
and sharing the knowledge...be proud of yourself for doing so, Winston will benefit.

There are ways to do it on a budget and that is shared here also, not all bullie owners
are wealthy...I'm not and so we have to find ways to own a bully and then feed them
as healthy as possible. Quality food saves on vet bills because they have fewer, if any,
problems and also the food is nutrient dense so servings are smaller. If you have the
time, you can supplement kibble with home cooking, things you cook and eat too!

You've got us now and won't be doing this alone...or left grieving your beloved babies
by yourself either. I lost my 1st bully, Brutus this January, just 5 months after my 52 y/o
Hubby died after a heart attack. Without these members supporting me...I couldn't make
it...they've been my lifeline and still are. They will do the same for you, I too, was new to
them...didn't matter. They opened their arms & hearts and just accepted and loved me.
I know GOD guided me here...it's saved my life...I LOVE these good people! GOD bless!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online