Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi all,

It's so nice to be here. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you and educating myself to be the best bully mom I can be. Our puppy arrives on Saturday. Right now I'm super anxious about how the pup will be with my 2 year old toddler. I'm even second guessing my decision to get a pup. I'm just so afraid that the pup will bite her or hurt her! Of course I'm afraid that I have my hands full already w/ a toddler now a new pup! I would love to hear from owners who transitioned to life with a young child and a bulldog. Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Warmly,
Alicia

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Your Kidding Right ??? My Rocky is the Pet Smart greeter...wannabee !!!! Toddlers come in with their parents, and plop down with him, No Biting at all.... he gets so excited with children, especially children, His little wrinkly face, and tongue going 90 to nothing..... They truly are Gentle Giants.... Other than a border Collie which will hurd your child up all day, I don't know of a Gentler Pet to have around a toddler. But I need to correct something, Your pup will also be a toddler in no time, and the only thing worse than a toddler, is Two of them Lmbo.... You'll find your toddler trying to get into things, and the fur toddler trying to help her...... No Joke....... Please Post the Pictures, all of em' This is going to be teriffic....

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I have to jump in on this one- Bogey LOVES kids too ( he's 8 months old) but at that puppy shark stage ( his was from 8 weeks til about 6 1/2 months) I would not have wanted a toddler around him! His playing was all biting, his teeth were sharp and hurt! He was not aggressive, but bully pups are natural mouthers. That said, you will just have to be on top of them when they are together. Don't forget your baby( the fur one) is just like your toddler- he will need naps and time outs. There is no reason the two of them can't grow up together and be the best of friends! Remember, your pup will treat your child like a littermate. There are plenty of folks around here who have fur kids and skin kids together and they thrive! Seek their advice if you need it. Hang in there during the shark stage- it DOES go away and there is a kind, gentle bulldog underneath all that fur!! Good luck!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3:

I'm going to tag a couple people with experience in a harmonious life with puppies and toddlers.
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..welcome! I understand your reservations. We had only grandchildren around Jake when he was in that horrid..bite and hew stage! My grandons first sentence was "No Jake...No!! Be prepare..read about it ànd know..it passes!

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Welcome. My Ace loves children as well, all folks, and even all animals as far as I can tell so far. He and the maltese don't get along so well because the maltese just doesn't like him and having to share attention

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
Welcome my bullies love my grand kids ! The kids can be rough and the dogs are ge ntle. Jackson has never put his mouth on anyone except of course to lick them!:welcome3::happydance:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby loves children. I find he reacts best to them compared to adults. When a child approaches him he will lay down and let them pat him opposed to when its an adult he'll jump on them for his loving. Do watch the shark teeth phase. I know with Tubbs he never tried to hurt us but those bad boys are sharp! I'm sure your little girl will show your pup what is acceptable.

I can't wait for the stories and the pictures!! Oh ya WELCOME!!!!!!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is a kid lover too! He "bows" down to them with his bum/ tail doing 90 and waits for them to come to him - a behaviour that I LOVE but never intentionally taught him as I don't have kids... He's always done it on his own! He has much better kid manners than adult manners... :p

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think the worst stage will be the " shark teeth" stage as others mentioned. But that passes!! Your fur and skin kids will grow up together and be the best of pals!!

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Re: Hi from RI - Parent to Toddler & Pup

That def decreases my anxiety! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the encouragement!

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Is the "yipping" reaction from an adult/child when he bites appropriate? Do we just do it when it hurts (I'm thinking that would be confusing to him?)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Welcome! Well my fur baby was 4 when by skin baby was born, and here we are 16 mos later and they are the best of buds! Chunk LOVES kids and like the others have mentioned, is the best around them! Gentle and sweet. I love it! I agree about the "shark teeth" stage - we had a foster pup over Christmas and when she got too riled up I had to crate her to calm her occasionally because of the nipping. I would first try to distract her with a chew toy but if that didn't work, a quick time out usually did. Those little teeth hurt! Otherwise you will have such a great time watching them together. It's so sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome!! Well firstly stop worrying. Having a 2 year old myself I can say at this age she is more likely to hurt my pups than they r her. They r grown tho. So of course you do have the puppy teeth phase to get thru but as dreaded as it seems it does pass quickly. My bullies get in their playful mode and knock down the 2 yr old at times but not very often at this point. Having a 2 and 4 year old along with my 3 pups works out just fine. ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.