JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Oh I can show you proof that bulldogs are AWESOME with small children!!!!!!!! You just have to give them time and let them learn how to adjust to small children. My daughter is 3 and her and Jagger are like brother and sister. They sleep together, play together and even fight over toys :) When Jagger would try to nip I told Cate that he wasn't trying to be mean go find a toy he likes and play with him. Also, we make Jagger sit when someone goes to pet him. It redirects his attention to focus on sitting instead of nipping.
jag1.jpg
jag4.jpg
jag5.jpg
jag6.jpgthis last picture is a few weeks ago. Cate was extremely sick, 103 fever for 3 days. Jagger stayed with her the entire time. He never tried to play or rough house like they normally do, just sat with her all day and night

Last edited:
OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Hi - thanks so much for showing me these pics! They are both adorable! I hope Cate is feeling better. How long did it take Jagger to learn how to "sit" and other basic commands? Do you have a preferred way of teaching him? Did you go to obedience class or use a treat training method? Was Jagger a puppy when you got him? Was Cate born yet? Sorry for all the q's? (Also, I'm not sure if I'm responding the right way... with a "quick reply"...)

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
We have only had Jagger about 6-7 weeks. He came from a unpleasant home and bad situation. He was craving attention. I have not used treats to work on obedience with him he has a lot of allergy problems. For him I've used mainly positive reinforcement on toys. Cate is 3 so she was here long before Jagger. I stay at home so we are with Jagger all the time and I make sure Cate plays a role in his daily activities. Feeding him, making him mind, taking him outside and generally just playing with him. Jagger still gets time out for trying to nip or jump. Our
Big thing is lots of toys and chew bones , he is a big mouther and his coping mechanism for everything he went through is he sucks on his bed, blankets and toys.

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
Re: Hi from RI - Parent to Toddler & Pup

Ok awesome. Thank you for all of this. If you have a minute can you explain how a dog time out works? I know you can't put them in their crate for time out. Is it just totally ignoring the behavior?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok awesome. Thank you for all of this. If you have a minute can you explain how a dog time out works? I know you can't put them in their crate for time out. Is it just totally ignoring the behavior?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi - thanks so much for showing me these pics! They are both adorable! I hope Cate is feeling better. How long did it take Jagger to learn how to "sit" and other basic commands? Do you have a preferred way of teaching him? Did you go to obedience class or use a treat training method? Was Jagger a puppy when you got him? Was Cate born yet? Sorry for all the q's? (Also, I'm not sure if I'm responding the right way... with a "quick reply"...)

Instead of clicking on quick reply ... click on the box that says "reply with quote" if you want to specifically answer one persons post. :up:

OP
A

Akamm10

Jun 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otto
We have only had Jagger about 6-7 weeks. He came from a unpleasant home and bad situation. He was craving attention. I have not used treats to work on obedience with him he has a lot of allergy problems. For him I've used mainly positive reinforcement on toys. Cate is 3 so she was here long before Jagger. I stay at home so we are with Jagger all the time and I make sure Cate plays a role in his daily activities. Feeding him, making him mind, taking him outside and generally just playing with him. Jagger still gets time out for trying to nip or jump. Our
Big thing is lots of toys and chew bones , he is a big mouther and his coping mechanism for everything he went through is he sucks on his bed, blankets and toys.

Hi - what does a dog time out look like?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi - what does a dog time out look like?

I would say that most people on here do time out in their crates ... generally within seconds the bully pup is asleep!!

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger's dog time out is either getting baby gated in the kitchen away from playing or if he is being totally disobedient and not listening he goes in his "house" ( large crate with bed and water bowl) for a little while. His crate is only used for time outs, when we leave the house he is gated in our dining room so he can still romp and play. Typically, this is more than enough and he will listen well and be his loving self.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our Buster has been fine around all kinds of kids. Congratulations and :welcome:!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hi all,

It's so nice to be here. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you and educating myself to be the best bully mom I can be. Our puppy arrives on Saturday. Right now I'm super anxious about how the pup will be with my 2 year old toddler. I'm even second guessing my decision to get a pup. I'm just so afraid that the pup will bite her or hurt her! Of course I'm afraid that I have my hands full already w/ a toddler now a new pup! I would love to hear from owners who transitioned to life with a young child and a bulldog. Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Warmly,
Alicia

It's never too soon to teach a child how to be the pack leader in your household. Begin training right away and involve the child. First lesson: The pup should learn how to greet a human without jumping on them. Teaching that alone will resolve many problems before they start. :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It's never too soon to teach a child how to be the pack leader in your household. Begin training right away and involve the child. First lesson: The pup should learn how to greet a human without jumping on them. Teaching that alone will resolve many problems before they start. :yes:

Agreed! Likely your pup will view your toddler as a littermate. Which means they will get the worst of the nipping! Have your child hand feed puppy some kibble, never let puppy sit higher than your toddler. This establishes the pack order, that your toddler is above them. Any other training you can get them involved in at that age will be very helpful too. Even just teaching to sit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.