Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otto
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi from RI - Parent to Toddler & Pup

Is the "yipping" reaction from an adult/child when he bites appropriate? Do we just do it when it hurts (I'm thinking that would be confusing to him?)

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! Well my fur baby was 4 when by skin baby was born, and here we are 16 mos later and they are the best of buds! Chunk LOVES kids and like the others have mentioned, is the best around them! Gentle and sweet. I love it! I agree about the "shark teeth" stage - we had a foster pup over Christmas and when she got too riled up I had to crate her to calm her occasionally because of the nipping. I would first try to distract her with a chew toy but if that didn't work, a quick time out usually did. Those little teeth hurt! Otherwise you will have such a great time watching them together. It's so sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!! Well firstly stop worrying. Having a 2 year old myself I can say at this age she is more likely to hurt my pups than they r her. They r grown tho. So of course you do have the puppy teeth phase to get thru but as dreaded as it seems it does pass quickly. My bullies get in their playful mode and knock down the 2 yr old at times but not very often at this point. Having a 2 and 4 year old along with my 3 pups works out just fine.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card! JennyeStear's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Oh I can show you proof that bulldogs are AWESOME with small children!!!!!!!! You just have to give them time and let them learn how to adjust to small children. My daughter is 3 and her and Jagger are like brother and sister. They sleep together, play together and even fight over toys When Jagger would try to nip I told Cate that he wasn't trying to be mean go find a toy he likes and play with him. Also, we make Jagger sit when someone goes to pet him. It redirects his attention to focus on sitting instead of nipping.
    Name:  jag1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  8.4 KB
    Name:  jag4.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  11.1 KB
    -jag5-jpg
    Name:  jag6.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  7.1 KBthis last picture is a few weeks ago. Cate was extremely sick, 103 fever for 3 days. Jagger stayed with her the entire time. He never tried to play or rough house like they normally do, just sat with her all day and night
    Last edited by JennyeStear; 06-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Jennye

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otto
    Likes (Received)

Hi - thanks so much for showing me these pics! They are both adorable! I hope Cate is feeling better. How long did it take Jagger to learn how to "sit" and other basic commands? Do you have a preferred way of teaching him? Did you go to obedience class or use a treat training method? Was Jagger a puppy when you got him? Was Cate born yet? Sorry for all the q's? (Also, I'm not sure if I'm responding the right way... with a "quick reply"...)

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card! JennyeStear's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

We have only had Jagger about 6-7 weeks. He came from a unpleasant home and bad situation. He was craving attention. I have not used treats to work on obedience with him he has a lot of allergy problems. For him I've used mainly positive reinforcement on toys. Cate is 3 so she was here long before Jagger. I stay at home so we are with Jagger all the time and I make sure Cate plays a role in his daily activities. Feeding him, making him mind, taking him outside and generally just playing with him. Jagger still gets time out for trying to nip or jump. Our
    Big thing is lots of toys and chew bones , he is a big mouther and his coping mechanism for everything he went through is he sucks on his bed, blankets and toys.

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otto
    Likes (Received)

Ok awesome. Thank you for all of this. If you have a minute can you explain how a dog time out works? I know you can't put them in their crate for time out. Is it just totally ignoring the behavior?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok awesome. Thank you for all of this. If you have a minute can you explain how a dog time out works? I know you can't put them in their crate for time out. Is it just totally ignoring the behavior?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Akamm10 View Post
    Hi - thanks so much for showing me these pics! They are both adorable! I hope Cate is feeling better. How long did it take Jagger to learn how to "sit" and other basic commands? Do you have a preferred way of teaching him? Did you go to obedience class or use a treat training method? Was Jagger a puppy when you got him? Was Cate born yet? Sorry for all the q's? (Also, I'm not sure if I'm responding the right way... with a "quick reply"...)

Instead of clicking on quick reply ... click on the box that says "reply with quote" if you want to specifically answer one persons post.

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otto
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Instead of clicking on quick reply ... click on the box that says "reply with quote" if you want to specifically answer one persons post.
    Thank you!!

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otto
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyeStear View Post
    We have only had Jagger about 6-7 weeks. He came from a unpleasant home and bad situation. He was craving attention. I have not used treats to work on obedience with him he has a lot of allergy problems. For him I've used mainly positive reinforcement on toys. Cate is 3 so she was here long before Jagger. I stay at home so we are with Jagger all the time and I make sure Cate plays a role in his daily activities. Feeding him, making him mind, taking him outside and generally just playing with him. Jagger still gets time out for trying to nip or jump. Our
    Big thing is lots of toys and chew bones , he is a big mouther and his coping mechanism for everything he went through is he sucks on his bed, blankets and toys.
    Hi - what does a dog time out look like?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Akamm10 View Post
    Hi - what does a dog time out look like?
    I would say that most people on here do time out in their crates ... generally within seconds the bully pup is asleep!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads