Why is my English bulldog so tiny?!

Simplyparis22

May 25, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball, Maddy, And Lulu
Hello everyone I am new to this! I am wondering why my five month English bulldog Won't gain weight or get big? I adopted her because I really wanted an English bulldog and they said that she was a breeders surrender. She was very tiny when I got her I couldn't understand why a breeder would want to give her up. For some reason she's gotten very tall her legs are very long and she does not look so much like an English bulldog to me. I inserted a picture of her mother who I also adopted because the breeders were done breeding her. I want to give these English bulldogs a good life and I plan on doing so but I would like to help my little lulu gain some weight and figure out if she's a purebred or not. I love her and either way I just want to help her because she is literally very tiny. I know it is very hard when looking at pictures but can somebody tell me what is going on with my poor baby??? I feed her Propac three times a day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,074
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,535
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,104
D

DaisyBulldog

Her momma certainly looks like a purebred EB. And Lulu is adorable. :) I can't really say why she isn't gaining weight, but if you are interested in finding out if she is full EB, Wisdom Panel makes some DNA tests for consumers that are reasonably priced and pretty darn accurate. I have used their products, as have several friends. You can do a search for the tests on Amazon.com. You do a couple mouth swabs with the enclosed long handled small brushes, and mail them back in the sterile envelope.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I left you a visitor message! Lol! You were way ahead of me! Bulldogs mature very differently than other breeds. They grow taller the first year..then out and wide the second and sometimes into the third year. She looks all bully to me! As far as weight gain..they do come in all weights! We have some as small as 30 lbs and up! It is important she gains and it's the amount that varies. If she is healthy otherwise and shows no signs of illness, I would just kep an eye on her!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Firstly, her mother is totally adorable!!! Secondly, the puppy is totally adorable!!!

So I know you say she's 5 months but you don't say how much she weighs. Not that that really matters because as has alredy been said by [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] bulldogs and dogs in general grow at different rates.

If she is all ribs and bones then there is something wrong. If she's a plump happy puppy then it's fine!

But it is true .... bulldogs grow up in their first year. All gangly legs to the point that I'm thinking that maybe this is a boxer!!! Then in their second year they start growing out. Their head, their body everything just seems to grow sideways!!

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
i was worried about Geno too for awhile because he seemed small. When he goes to the vet they always say he is a good weight. (49 lbs) He is three. We did have an episode where i was feeding him sub par food and he lost weight, but not so much that he was sick or anything, but I had to switch his food. She seems young to really know, probably still in her awkward puppy stage.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is just precious, and as others have said they grow up then out. Some just stay small. We had a beautiful girl and when she was a pup, she was a big boned girl and had great show potential, but then when she got older she just stayed at about 40 lbs. Too small to breed and show, but still a beauty. Your baby will be a beauty also, just may stay a little on the small side, but that's OK.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
When Ftse was a baby he too had long legs and I used to think he at times he didn't look like a EBD but now he is perfect in all ways and both your Bullies are so Adorabull I really wouldn't worry.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN.... Your babies are beautiful. We have a retired working girl and they make the most wonderful family members... quiet and gentle is their demeanor. We absolutely love our Princess Gracie and I'll bet you feel the same with your Maddy. I hope you will continue to post pix of your bully family and join in the conversations here. Ask whatever questions you have and just have fun on EBN :)

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
:welcome3: they are both adorable! She looks like a bulldog to me, as others have said they grow very different. Winston just turned two today and I can tell you the difference in him over this past year is crazy! He really filled out this year! As long as she's feeling ok I would just keep an eye on her! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welome to EBN.... how freakin' adorable is she and momma bear looks to be a beauty too!

What and how much are you feeding?

Can you get a picture from above looking down at her back?

Lastly, as others have said, bulldogs grow up the first year and out the second year. Also, they come in all shape and sizes.

OP
Simplyparis22

Simplyparis22

May 25, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball, Maddy, And Lulu
I forgot to say my lulu went from 5 pounds to 11 pounds now. Here is a picture of her Backside. No ribs do not appear to show but if you touch her you can feel them. Thank you for being so supportive. I will take all of your advice into consideration :) but I will keep an eye on her weight. I just see all these other English bulldogs were very chubby young and was worried.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,106

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We could have only wished Amelia had stayed so tiny... she has doubled her weight in the month she has been here and weighs 18 lbs at 3 months old. Our HRH is only 40 lbs full grown and we like that she is small. But we will just take Amy no matter how big she gets. We have to keep her on the thin side to not stress her hip joints. but that hasn't stopped her growing so far.
She also looks like she's all legs to a degree. Much more so than the pics of Lulu, but that seems normal as others have said.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think she looks good and is a full eb! When I got my Stig, he was already 5 months old, and he looked so awkward since his legs were long and his head was small. He didn't have much wrinkles too.

It wasn't until he was 2.5 years old when we noticed that his stature was finally widening .. and his head got bigger. lol! He's not chubby ... but only because we prefer to have him lean, as we're trying to avoid joint issues from the extra weight. But some members like them to have some weight, so it's all up to you really.

Lulu's mom is gorgeous! ... We can tell already that Lulu's inherited the same "heart-breaker" gene. :wink:

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
She is just precious! Maybe she has pug in her :) Thats how mine is. She was 5 pounds when we brought her home....Shes steadily gaining weight. And shes getting longer. Hope that helps a lil bit

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online