I guess I should probably introduce myself

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Hi all.

I somehow missed this section of the forum, should I should probably introduce myself properly. My name is Brian and over the past 5 years or so have been blessed to have four wonderful English Bulldogs in my life. With these four I have experienced a lot of health issues, behavioral problems, problems related to abuse, Insurance issues, and financial problems that some of you may have or may never experience. I presently have a disabled boy named Jackson, my only ever English bulldog puppy, and two girl English Bulldog puppy mill/backyard breeder rescues: Brandi Alexander and Daisey Mae. Up until a year ago, we also had a 13 year old rescue Cash, who was our first experience with rescue dogs.

My boy Jack has gone through some major health problems: such as major spine surgery, two rear Crutiate Ligament/Miniscual tear operations, and is presently going through problems with stones in his bladder associated with major nerve problems related to the problems with his spine. In one year alone his vet costs summed over $30,000 (thank you for the loan - my 401K), but if I had to do it all over again I would. From this experience I also know all too well how a breeder gives you a guarantee, but then when you have problems they only want to replace the dog (no help with medical payments) with another and euthanize the damaged dog. How could anyone ever do this after bonding with a dog after any amount of time... We couldn't. I also learned with him, the ins and outs about pet insurance companies.

Brandi has taught me what issues a puppy mill momma can have and go through after their life in the mill. We have dealt with major bacterial infections, yeast infections, hair loss (from stress/allergies) and lots of other behavioral issues revolving around the lack of health treatment that these dogs are provided. Also with her we have experienced what it is to have a dog that is nearly deaf (because of the constant ear infections that have never been treated) and a dog that almost went blind from over 7 years of suffering from entropian (and the ulcers created on her eyes from the condition).

With the adoption of Daisey, I learned another side of the puppy business that I never experienced before, the back yard breeder. I learned how badly a dog can be mistreated just because it can not breed, with the breeder never taking into account that it truly is not healthy to breed a dog until it is at least 2 years of age. The money drives these people, and if they do not produce... What happens to the dog? Hopefully they end up with people like us, who deal with the psychological problems that they have created and take care of medical problems that went untreated for longer than they should of. When Daisey came to us she would not even walk (army crawl only), from the treatment she suffered and had really bad bladder stones that required surgery less than 4 days after we adopted her.

Last but not least my boy Cash. He was my first rescue, who spent most of his 12 years prior to us outside in the wonderful weather of Missouri. He came to us completely deaf (from ear infections never being treated), 99% blind from never having any care, his nose was almost gone from bugs eating on it, almost all of what teeth were left were rotten and a large tumor wrapped around his organs. He taught me how cruel people can be to man's best friend, what unconditional love was and how a dog with such severe disabilities can function like any other dog. He was forever by my side until his last day, and will always be in my heart.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..Brian. You are my hero. I've heard,read and seen what these puppy mills do to these poor babies..but hearing what you've encountered and done is both sickening and heart warming. We have rescued many a homeless dog, right off the streets. Their mistreatment was nothing compared to what these creeps put their dogs through. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Im certain we can ALL learn from you...and I'm so glad you're here! But one question??

What took you so long?? :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Wow what a story and what a lover you are of dogs in general and bulldogs in particular. I whole heartedly agree with your post and your distain over the lack of compassion shown by those breeders whose only connection with bulldogs or dogs in general is to make a dollar at the expense of the potential buyers and the poor dogs who are exploited by these dregs of humanity. To some of them it seems a dogs life and well being is no more considered than someone who owns chicken houses raised by the thousands in short lived lives to be butchered and eaten. There are good breeders who actually care and love dogs and desire the well being and development and improvement of the breed, but alas there is a lot of chaff among the wheat

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome Brian, Nicke, Jackson, Brandi, Daisy and Stewart (oh you forgot to talk about Stewart didn't you... You know he thinks he's a bully too!:p)

OP
BrianW

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Im certain we can ALL learn from you...and I'm so glad you're here! But one question??

What took you so long?? :)

I have to give the credit for me being here to Lari and Bruce. If we would have not met them at a Meetup event in Wisconsin, I probably would have never found/joined this website. We are pretty deeply involved with/support some rescues in Illinois (Empower the Paw, Rescue me Clifford, and IEBR) and do the Facebook rescue thing. Two of my dogs, Brandi Alexander and Jackson Alexander, have Facebook pages which were created to support the rescue of English Bulldogs and dogs with disabilities. I really never thought that a forum like this existed.

SugarBuggerBear

Apr 12, 2013
Hinesville, Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar
This story warms my heart. You are a true hero. I have spent a lot of money on Sugar but nothing like you have. You are the epitome of a dog lover. God bless you.

OP
BrianW

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome Brian, Nicke, Jackson, Brandi, Daisy and Stewart (oh you forgot to talk about Stewart didn't you... You know he thinks he's a bully too!:p)

Stuart is a designer dog (Frenchton) that may only be half bully (French), but thinks he is 100% English Bulldog (please don't tell him). He has spent all of his life with English Bulldogs and thinks that he is a huge 85 pounder. We recently took him and Daisey to a Boston Terrier (the other half of him) Meetup and it really was not his scene. He would not play with any of them or associate with them in any way. He was just annoyed with all these black and white little dogs running around and could not understand them. But when he gets together with English Bulldogs it is a completely different story, he is always at the center of messing with the biggest dog or dogs.

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Brian...the experiences that your dogs have been through is heart wrenching, but how lucky they ended up to have you come into their lives. :salute:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to you and your wonderful pack! You are amazing !!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh its so good you finally did an introduction here and it both sickens me and makes me happy that you have taken these dogs in and gave them the best possible home and love to try and repair what heartless cruel sob's do to their dogs. bless you. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.