Do the potential health risks EBD's have make you nervous?

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Although I have yet to get my bully, I've been doing lots of research, found my breeder, a new vet who specializes in EBDs and I'm considering doing some volunteer work with the local EBD Rescue.

Some of the rescues I've seen have such dire health problems it makes the potential of the problems very real to me. Some of these rescues weren't taken care of by their owners, lived in puppy mills etc. , it makes me wonder even if you get your dog from the most reputable of breeder and do everything you can will your bully still experience something like entropion, tail amputation or other problems.

Does this make sense? My mind was just going around thinking about it.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Definitely. There are so many more people more knowledgeable than me, but the breed standard really makes for a super unhealthy bulldog in my personal opinion. I prefer bulldogs with a leaner build, less wrinkles, longer snout, and longer legs. I think if you find a breeder who really is trying to better the breed in these areas, you really can't go wrong.

For me, it was a gamble, but 10 months later, so far so good. Just make sure you have $$$ saved up just in case, maybe look into pet insurance if that is something that keeps you up at night.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well most bullies with these problems come from back yard breeders and puppy mills who do not pay close attention to genetics and blood lines. These people do not care about their pups, they just want money. Now that being said, do reputable breeders still have an occasional pup with problems? Yes they do, but the problems are few and far between and the breeder does care about what happens to their pups and if there is a problem with one of them they want to know about it. because even though you do your research on the two blood lines things still come up. This way they may decide not to breed the same two again, depending on the problem. Plus a reputable breeder will stand behind their pups and give a health guaranty or have them certified to be healthy from their vet. So if you do your homework and find a reputable breeder your chance of the problems will go way down, or may not have any at all.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..before getting Jake, I had wanted a bully for years. I read so much and looked deeply into rescuing. Unfortunately, we couldn't satisfy the the rescue's terms..as we have grandkids and always other dogs,cats, etc! Jake's litter fell into our laps and all my worries were forgotten. We bought pet insurance..hiked up our britches...and have been lucky! :)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi is probably the result of a backyard breeder to be honest (all the homework in the world and still I look back and didn't really see the signs) but so far Remi has been very good. I'm going to document everything I can, because I think my findings will be important to new puppy owners.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This got me to thinking....have any of you ever considered your own potential health risks?
Bullys have their own set of possible illnesses, even if you don't take count of the puppy mills. But every time you take responsibility of a life, you take a risk that the life may not be all roses. The risk of disease or even sudden death early in life.... Do you know of a person that hasn't had any illnesses? Do you expect your dog to be forever healthy? In the raw feeding world it's quite funny (or sad?) that the same people that are so conserned about their dogs feeding let their children eat fast food and candys??? Just got me to thinking....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This got me to thinking....have any of you ever considered your own potential health risks?
Bullys have their own set of possible illnesses, even if you don't take count of the puppy mills. But every time you take responsibility of a life, you take a risk that the life may not be all roses. The risk of disease or even sudden death early in life.... Do you know of a person that hasn't had any illnesses? Do you expect your dog to be forever healthy? In the raw feeding world it's quite funny (or sad?) that the same people that are so conserned about their dogs feeding let their children eat fast food and candys??? Just got me to thinking....

Good point! Guess if we thought of everything that COULD go wrong..no one would have kids either! Lol

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Not anymore than my own. All I can do is hope for the best and be well educated on health issues and resolutions. I have an awesome vet, who has an EB and keeps me abreast of what to expect as she gets older. I'm educated everyday by the information on this site. I feed her much healthier/better than I feed myself and make sure she get plenty of exercise. But we all know there are no guarantees in life but I want to enjoy her for as long as I can. I don't want to be nervous about every thing that happens to her but if something happens, I will try to find a solution to the best of my/your/vets help.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
One of the concepts that school taught me (geeky, I know!) is that you can always "transfer" the risk to another if you think you are not able to handle the burden. Or in other words, insurance. I've read that there's some really good policies in the U.S. ... a lot cheaper than Canada anyways. It's best to get it when they're still puppies so they won't have any pre-existing conditions. If, perse, you decide to get it after the vet has seen him for a minor ear infection, most likely they'll deny any claims that are ear related, even if it's just a bug bite!

OP
R

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Pet insurance seems like it may be ideal especially since I'm getting a puppy. Have I ever thought about my own life or my own child when I thought of becoming a parent. Not particularly but I did get genetic testing at 19 for a few things, so I guess I put a little effort into that.

I appreciate the feedback and I think it's one of those things where it is recommended that I continue to keep doing my research.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: I hope you have good luck with the pup you get. We were fairly lucky with HRH, she has a few allergies, but nothing as bad as many. And getting her on a good food made a huge improvement.

And now we have just rescued Amy. We already know she will likely require major hip surgery at some point because of a congenital defect that the former owners were going to put her to sleep over. But she's still a precious little thing that is going to be one spoiled princess for the rest of her life.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Make me nervous? A little. Just like I'm always worried about my kids having to go to the ER... Both my kids went into surgery at age 4 for 1.) flying off a swing, 2.) busting his head open with a water cannon. So, even after learning everything about holistic principles and going to a holistic pediatrician and making sure they have healthy food and healthy exercise and good rest, I still get kids in the ER.

Same with the dogs. But yes, I prepare for it. I don't have regular health insurance (might have to change with Obamacare). I have a Health Savings Account. My dogs don't have pet insurance, I have a bank account that I put money in monthly for use with vet bills. If the Health Savings Account and Pet bank account is not enough to pay the doctor/vet, I use CareCredit to pay for it (also covers vet bills). I have not had to use CareCredit yet, even after the kids' surgeries.

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley
All the time. I'm pretty sure I'm an overprotective EB mama to both of mine because I am always checking them over several times a day to make sure there is nothing visible to the eye that's wrong and I also keep a close eye on the toys. Example they destroyed the tennis ball on a rope last night I saw the green pieces from the inside and immediately took it away and cut the ball off the rope and trashed it so they couldn't choke on the pieces. I vacuum and dust every other day so I can keep an eye on the things with in their reach too.

Zeus & Paisley's Mamma
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
As the proud mom who was rescued by a beautiful little bulldog, I have worried about this girl since I first saw her. The risks go with the territory. What you get in return from this breed makes it well worth the worry.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.