Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do the potential health risks EBD's have make you nervous?

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do the potential health risks EBD's have make you nervous?

@anatess - you have the degree of discipline -- clearly -- required for such an undertaking. I don't. I don't think I passed those genes onto my kid either. LOL

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    @anatess - you have the degree of discipline -- clearly -- required for such an undertaking. I don't. I don't think I passed those genes onto my kid either. LOL
    It's a Filipino thing. Health insurance is not the norm in my part of the Philippines. In the Philippines, there's no welfare - the family is your welfare. There's no senior care - the family takes care of their elderly. There's no healthcare - the family is your healthcare. There's no unemployment benefits - the family is your umemployment benefit. So, we learn from the way things are to build strong family relationships and provide for the family. In my father's side of the family, I have 8 aunts and uncles (my dad is 1 of 9 children). 4 of them have cancer. My dad is 70-years-old and is in the ICU as I type with advanced stage of lung cancer. We're spending $600 per day for his ventilator and nutrition. That doesn't include the $7,000 per month of meds. The entire family (9 brothers and sisters with all their children and grandchildren) are pulling together our resources to afford their care. It helps that in the family we have several doctors and nurses and physical therapists and even lawyers (to fight bureaucratic red-tape and nonsense) who offer services for free to the family. It's a different world, I have to say.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

Here is our story.

Ever since my wife and I were kids, we always wanted an English Bulldog puppy. Because of this we did all of the homework just like you and knew the health problems, the money involved to care for, and how important it was to find a reputable breeder. So after doing this we adopted a boy named Jackson with champion AKC bloodlines that had a health guaranty and completely certified healthy by their vet. The first year was great, no real issues other than the common yeast, bacterial and ear infection problems.

Shortly after he was a year old, he started to have issues with walking, which we thought at first were hip related. After several x-rays and MRIs it was determined that he had a mass that was wrapped in his spine and in between two of his disks cutting off the nerves to his back legs. This in turn led to him rupturing both of his Crutiate ligaments in his rear legs from him not walking correctly his whole life because of the mass.

So we went back to the breeder because of the guaranty and guess what they offered? They offered to take Jackson back (euthanize him) and give us a new puppy in his place. That was their only offer, no "will help out with part of the bill", just will replace him. So after a year of getting completely attached to this dog, we are suppose to throw it all away, I don't think so. So we paid for all of the surgeries and a year of physical therapy to try to give him the life he deserved. Somewhere during all these surgeries something went wrong and because of it he is now in a wheelchair and has limited use of his back legs.

I am in no way saying that this is going to happen to you, and am just trying point out that reputable breeders can have problems too. Are we just a special case? I would love to tell you yes, but through out my year of taking him weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) to the University of Wisconsin Vet school I met others with issues similar to mine.

I kissed a Bulldog and I loved it.....there is nothing better in this world than a Senior Bulldog.

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

Dealing with non-life-threatening health issues doesn't really worry me so much as I think I will be a nervous wreck about the general anesthesia thing. Honestly, our family has lost two (elderly) dogs in two years, and my own father passed away early this year, and my six year old daughter has really been through a lot with these losses. She still cries when she talks about her Grandpa, and our black lab Dixie. As a matter of fact, one of the first things she said to me when we were coming home from picking out our puppy was, "Our puppy isn't going to die for a really LONG time, right Mama?" It would absolutely break her heart if something happened to Gus before he reaches a nice, ripe old age. I DO worry about the trauma of that. We did buy pet insurance, too, but no amount of money would be too much to save Gus.. it is those freak occurences that I worry about.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

I was a bit nervous because you just never know. Then my absolute love of the breed won out. I saw my girl and just had to have her. As others have said your best bet is to know your breeder, save up some, get insurance or get a care credit card. I never went for the insurance, I do have the care credit card for emergencies. There are so many variables to everything we do so we just need to prepare as best as we can and say a little prayer :-)
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

We learned over 25 years ago when we started breeding Arabian horses. In order to breed or have quality, you have to start with quality. The better the dog, the better the bloodlines, the less health issues and medical issues down the line. Like the repair commercials say, you can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Just because a dog has a CH title does not mean it doesn't have health breeding issues? If a CH dog get finished before 18 months and has never been breed before, whats to say what the dog will produce. Look at other litters a stud has produced. Ask to speak to previous owners from a few years past to see if any health issues have arisen.

Yes, there are risks. Living is a risk. Waiting for a bus at a GD bus stop can take your life. Do the best research you can, be willing to pay top dollar for a quality dog even if you do not plan on showing your dog. A "show" dog will be a higher quality dog and will hopefully have less health issues.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GusBus View Post
    Dealing with non-life-threatening health issues doesn't really worry me so much as I think I will be a nervous wreck about the general anesthesia thing. Honestly, our family has lost two (elderly) dogs in two years, and my own father passed away early this year, and my six year old daughter has really been through a lot with these losses. She still cries when she talks about her Grandpa, and our black lab Dixie. As a matter of fact, one of the first things she said to me when we were coming home from picking out our puppy was, "Our puppy isn't going to die for a really LONG time, right Mama?" It would absolutely break her heart if something happened to Gus before he reaches a nice, ripe old age. I DO worry about the trauma of that. We did buy pet insurance, too, but no amount of money would be too much to save Gus.. it is those freak occurences that I worry about.

We had a yorkie that passed away. He was very young only 3.5. He had a brain disorder that had a rapid onset and came out of nowhere. The doggie neurologist ended up saying that there really wasn't anything that I or the breeder could have done to prevent it from developing. It was just one of those things. My daughter who is 10 also posed the same question about our next animal family member. I worry about her developing a sense that she would not want pets in the future if anything was to happen that I couldn't fix.

In our research, she is the one that asked about EBDs as my dad has had American and English BDs so she was interested. Our exposure to the breed has been positive so here we are. As I'm a researcher by profession, everything I do ends up getting researched so delving deeper into the breed health is natural for me. I appreciate everyone's feedback, it's been helpful.

I think

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i think with all pets there is a risk of health issues as with humans. that being said bullies do come with their share of problems and well health issues. its what you agree to if you get a bully imo. i got sarah and had no clue bout anything and ive learned so much from her about lots of issues i would know nothing about otherwise. i also have a friend that i would never want to be without. bullies have their issues but they also have something else that just makes it all worth while .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads