Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do the potential health risks EBD's have make you nervous?

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do the potential health risks EBD's have make you nervous?

to EBN ... Good Luck!

Bully Bootie Duty My kids have 4 paws's Avatar
    Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus and Paisley
    Likes (Received)

All the time. I'm pretty sure I'm an overprotective EB mama to both of mine because I am always checking them over several times a day to make sure there is nothing visible to the eye that's wrong and I also keep a close eye on the toys. Example they destroyed the tennis ball on a rope last night I saw the green pieces from the inside and immediately took it away and cut the ball off the rope and trashed it so they couldn't choke on the pieces. I vacuum and dust every other day so I can keep an eye on the things with in their reach too.

Zeus & Paisley's Mamma
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

As the proud mom who was rescued by a beautiful little bulldog, I have worried about this girl since I first saw her. The risks go with the territory. What you get in return from this breed makes it well worth the worry.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    This got me to thinking....have any of you ever considered your own potential health risks?
    Bullys have their own set of possible illnesses, even if you don't take count of the puppy mills. But every time you take responsibility of a life, you take a risk that the life may not be all roses. The risk of disease or even sudden death early in life.... Do you know of a person that hasn't had any illnesses? Do you expect your dog to be forever healthy? In the raw feeding world it's quite funny (or sad?) that the same people that are so conserned about their dogs feeding let their children eat fast food and candys??? Just got me to thinking....
    This is true. Never really thought of it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    One of the concepts that school taught me (geeky, I know!) is that you can always "transfer" the risk to another if you think you are not able to handle the burden. Or in other words, insurance. I've read that there's some really good policies in the U.S. ... a lot cheaper than Canada anyways. It's best to get it when they're still puppies so they won't have any pre-existing conditions. If, perse, you decide to get it after the vet has seen him for a minor ear infection, most likely they'll deny any claims that are ear related, even if it's just a bug bite!
    I purchased Trupanion on 4/17/13. They have a 30 day wait period on illness, and do not cover pre-existing conditions.
    On 4/28 I had to take Blue to an Opthamologist because one of his eyes looked redder and darker to me. We decided we weren't going to wait until the insurance kicked in because we didn't know if it was serious or not. Lucky for us it was nothing. His pigment is just darker in one eye. The Opthamologist wrote a very detailed letter stating his eyes are healthy and do no require any treatment. Same thing is in his chart.
    She told me that if they ever denied a claim because he's been there prior to having insurance, to send in the letter and have them contact the clinic.
    Hoping if Blue ever does develop any eye condtions, this will be enough.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    The risks go with the territory. What you get in return from this breed makes it well worth the worry.
    Exactly as I feel.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    This got me to thinking....have any of you ever considered your own potential health risks?
    Bullys have their own set of possible illnesses, even if you don't take count of the puppy mills. But every time you take responsibility of a life, you take a risk that the life may not be all roses. The risk of disease or even sudden death early in life.... Do you know of a person that hasn't had any illnesses? Do you expect your dog to be forever healthy? In the raw feeding world it's quite funny (or sad?) that the same people that are so conserned about their dogs feeding let their children eat fast food and candys??? Just got me to thinking....
    Well said, if this was true there wouldn't be many that have children.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have been very lucky health wise with Ftse apart from a cherry eye op he had at five months and silly me did not have pet insurance when I brought Ftse home I was going to get it and kept putting it off to another day well my stupidly cost me a fair bit, I have it now but his eyes and eats are not covered so do yourself a favour if you gets bullie first thing to do is take out insurance as I could have paid three years premiums for what the cherry eye cost and if you feed them good and take care of them you should not get too many problems except for the ones you can't avoid anyway. Bullies are the most loveable pet you could have so don't let this put you off from getting one 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    What you get in return from this breed makes it well worth the worry.
    Exactly!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

yes..makes me nervous.........i have also had a problem with insurance on him so i canceled it.... can't decide if it's worth it or not.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Tubby was born with a heart murmur that the breeder never told us about. After plenty of money and tears on my part we discovered it could be something he could live with. Then when he developed cherry eye and we took him to get tested they discovered he has cataracts developing in his right eye. With that being said I love my baby with all of my heart and could not imagine life without him! Sure he's cost us thousands of dollars. Was it worth it? EVERY SINGLE CENT! he is full of personality and brings us so much joy. I say the risks are always worth it with this breed.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Make me nervous? A little. Just like I'm always worried about my kids having to go to the ER... Both my kids went into surgery at age 4 for 1.) flying off a swing, 2.) busting his head open with a water cannon. So, even after learning everything about holistic principles and going to a holistic pediatrician and making sure they have healthy food and healthy exercise and good rest, I still get kids in the ER.

Same with the dogs. But yes, I prepare for it. I don't have regular health insurance (might have to change with Obamacare). I have a Health Savings Account. My dogs don't have pet insurance, I have a bank account that I put money in monthly for use with vet bills. If the Health Savings Account and Pet bank account is not enough to pay the doctor/vet, I use CareCredit to pay for it (also covers vet bills). I have not had to use CareCredit yet, even after the kids' surgeries.
    That's really impressive. How does that work exactly? (Not that I could do this for myself...I"m thinking of my daughter who's a healthy 22 years old.)

I'm 52 have already had breast cancer and I'm supposed to go find private insurance that will take me and my possibility of another boob going haywire. I'm one that's pretty excited about Obamacare.....! LOL

Edited to add: my pups are on Trupanion and have been since 12 weeks old. I pay another five bucks a month for the hip displasia coverage which has a 75% occurrence rate in EBs (so I've read). I've yet to process a claim with them --- and I'm delighted. After what I went through with my first EB, never again. Insurance all the way. Fortunately, I did not have to make decisions about her health based on my ability to pay (BARELY, that is). I never want to face that again.
    Last edited by Vicaroo1000; 05-10-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    That's really impressive. How does that work exactly? (Not that I could do this for myself...I"m thinking of my daughter who's a healthy 22 years old.)

I'm 52 have already had breast cancer and I'm supposed to go find private insurance that will take me and my possibility of another boob going haywire. I'm one that's pretty excited about Obamacare.....! LOL

Edited to add: my pups are on Trupanion and have been since 12 weeks old. I pay another five bucks a month for the hip displasia coverage which has a 75% occurrence rate in EBs (so I've read). I've yet to process a claim with them --- and I'm delighted. After what I went through with my first EB, never again. Insurance all the way. Fortunately, I did not have to make decisions about her health based on my ability to pay (BARELY, that is). I never want to face that again.
    I was in my mid-20's when I got married. My husband and I do not smoke, do not drink alcohol, are not into extreme sports, and live a healthy lifestyle. We both were contractors so we decided to exchange the health insurance coverage offered by the contract agency for a higher hourly rate. Now, I can't remember the exact numbers when we first started because it was super long ago but it kinda goes like this: The insurance coverage provided by the agency would have caused a payroll deduction of $75/week for each of us. That would have been $600/month for both of us. We got $2/hr pay difference for not carrying insurance. So, that's $80/week gross for each of us but with tax, only came out to about $70/week. So, what we did, we purchased this Individual Insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida that only covered Emergency Room, Hospitalization, and Surgery. It doesn't cover anything else even prescription medicine or doctor's visits unless it is part of ER, Surgery, or Hospital Stay. For a family of 4, non-smoker, non-drinker, drug-free (we provided a blood and urine test), and not into extreme sports (we signed something that says injury from extreme sports is not covered), the insurance premiums were only $120/month. So, we took the $560 per month that we made, subtracted $120 from it, and sent the rest to the Health Savings Account. So, we were contributing $440/month into the HSA. In one year, that came up to about $5,000 principal. The HSA gains a return on investment just like a mutual fund does, so it was added on. Then we get pay increases, we added on to our monthly HSA. We were blessed with an awesome holistic pediatrician so we've only needed to see her once or twice a year. We follow holistic principles to stay healthy. And my sister is a nurse, my brother a doctor, so we've been good there too.

The dogs follow the same thing - we just budget a monthly savings to put in their health accounts. We still have a balance from the dobermans that we had who has since passed. They never got to use all their savings. The last dog we had lived to 14 years before he died naturally.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads