new Bulldog owner. .. supplements

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Hi! I just joined today! I am the proud new mommy to a 9 week old EB named Mia. I want to learn everything possible to keep my girl healthy and happy! I have been doing lots of web research on care and came across the health benefits of supplements such as Esther Vitamine C and chondroitin & glucosamine. It also mentions hard boiled eggs and yogurt. Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Karen and Mia. We have a whole section with discussions on diet and nutrition. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?247-Diet-and-Nutrition
Several of us have come up with our own "regimen" for supplements.

HRH gets a fish oil pill and a cranberry pill daily with her Fromm and some Diatomaceous Earth. She also gets to share a banana with dad every day. We used to give her Greek yogurt every morning too, but I got tired of the mess it made so she doesn't get that so often anymore.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Gg:welcome3:Hi Karen and Mia welcome to EBN, you will :heart: this site, so many great people to share their experience and advice, and so much information on EB everything. My name is Monica, better known as Vikinggirl, I joined here in Oct. of 2012, I have 2 EB siblings, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom, and they are 15 months old. I found this site while I was trying to find a healthy dog food to feed them, as I wasn't happy with the food that the breeder had sent them home with. They were on Royal Canin, and when I asked the breeder if it was a good good, he assured me it was, and also my vet sells this brand in her office and she told me it was a good food as well. I still was not convinced, as the Royal Canin has a lot of fillers and corn, and grains, and as it turns out my Female Blossom is allergic or sensitive to these ingredients, including salmon and chicken. I learned of the dog food ratings from this site, and saw that the Royal Canin is rated as a 2 or 3 star food, so not one of the worst, but not the best either, and not so good for bullies. I switched to Go Natural which was also a 5 star food, but it was chicken based and so Blossom didn't tolerate it very well, so then I switched them to Fromms Beef Frittata, and they have been on this brand for 8 months, and are both doing great on it. I haven't tried the other brands, because one is chicken based and one is salmon based, and they are doing so well on the Beef, I don't want to take a chance of them getting the diarrhea again, or upsetting their stomachs.

I also give them natural snacks and supplements. My guys don't really chew their food so well, they tend to inhale instead like Hoovers, so I don't give them any hard cookies, or treats, as theyntend to choke on them. I give them only natural treats like cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, peanut butter, oatmeal sometimes, hard boiled egg once a week, cheese strings, and 1 Tbsp plain unsweetened yogurt everyday in their morning kibble.

They also get natural supplements, I give them salmon oil in their evening kibble, as well as 1 cranberry pill, and they get 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their water everyday. The salmon oil is for the Omegas, which is good for their skin, and coats, the cranberry pill is a preventative measure to avoid bladder infections, and their are Lots of benefits to apple cider vinegar, such as it helps with inflammation, joints, kills bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system. A lot of supplements that are good for humans are also good for dogs, and the same ones that you can buy at the drugstore, or at a Natural supplement store such as Nutrition House or GNC, or at a Natural grocery, store such as Whole Foods, are fine for dogs as well, and are cheaper than what your vet would charge in his office, and they work the same. These supplements are natural and so will not harm your pup.

Just be careful when you give Mia the supplements. I don't know how old she is, but she should be kept on a good quality puppy food until she is 6 or 7 months old, and the switched to an adult formula. Puppies need the extra vitamins, minerals, and fats found in puppy formulas for the rapid growth and development of puppies. If it a high quality puppy food, they shouldn't need any other supplements as their food should provide everything they need, and the extra supplements may upset their young tummies. Once they are older and on a adult food, you can try adding supplements, but try adding just one at a time, so if she has any reactions to any of them, you'll know which one she didn't tolerate.

I copied and pasted some info on food ratings and benefits of Apple cider vinegar from the forums on here. I hope this helps you. It's sometimes frustrating when trying to find a good quality food, and one that is tolerated by your bully. Good luck.

Benefits of Apple cider vinegar
Current Article

[replacer_a]

By Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar on Jul 6, 2008 in Dr.Jeannie, Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden Stuff

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Natureā€™s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe bloodā€™s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dogā€™s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dogā€™s urine.

This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dogā€™s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.
Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your petā€™s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dogā€™s coat.
Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the ā€œmotherā€ quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection ā€”they have no health value!
Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., ā€œApple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health Systemā€, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. ā€œFolk Medicineā€, andā€œArthritis and Folk Medicineā€, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
Puotinen, C.J., ā€œThe Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Careā€ Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut

Click this link to view the Dog food ratings here at English bulldog News:

Dog Food Ratings

Last edited by a moderator:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! Since she is only 9 weeks I highly recommend trying only one thing at a time, her digestive system is still very fragile!

For example, of you decide you want to do yogurt and salmon oil, only try yogurt first. Wait one week before adding the salmon oil and make sure her poo is normal. This way if she has a reaction to anything you can identify the culprit!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just wanted to say :welcome3:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN!!! Enjoy the site and thanx for joining.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Thx for all the feedback! The breeder had her on Actrium Holistic from walmart. She had really soft to diahrea poop. I was obviously very concerned. The vet gave her some medication for deworming and I started her on Canine Caviar grain free. She is doing much better! But I see that it is only a 3 star. Anyone else have experience with this brand?
Ill post a pic when I figure it out lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello and :welcome: to ebn. your baby is very cute. i have been checking out canine caviar as i know of 2 pet stores (one has some very high end food) who sell it well and speak highly of it so if its working for your bully id leave it be for now. when they are small you dont want to do to much as they can get diarrhea and soft :poo: if you want to give supplements i would do one at a time as mentioned earlier. i would think some fish oil and a probiotic would be good for now. then you can add more things later like a vitamin or vit c joint meds and such.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN!! and Congrats on the little cutie!!
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] Dang you deserve a super bully award for that post!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.