New biting puppy

Jennsatori

Apr 30, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Happy
Hi, I'm a newbie. I have a 12 week old bulldog named Happy. I've had him for 4 weeks now. I have to say it's been a lot more difficult than I thought having a puppy would be. He's really bity. He's like a piranha on legs. Can anyone else tell me if they went through this with their puppy and what they did and if the dog eventually stopped biting so much. Play biting of course. Pant legs, hands etc. I shove a toy in his mouth when he does it but there are times when he gets in a really good bite and it really hurts! He's also been difficult to house train. He will just sit down and pee inside. I decided that when I have him out of the crate that I will take him out about every hour or so since that seems to be the limit when he's out of the crate. Inside the crate he's gone all night without peeing before. But does anyone have any advice?

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I am only passing on what Ive read here:

Biting - make sure to have something that is good for him to bite and swap your arm/hand for it. I do that and say, Good Bite. One time Colossus bit too hard and I "yelped" that caught his attention. When Ive done it before, was almost like he knew I was trying to "play" him, but that time it worked.

Potty training - every hour is where you should start. Colossus is 16-17 weeks and we are going every 90 minutes or so. He makes it all night (sleeping) and through the day in his kennel without messing. Im going to start next week with him in the basement, if he does good he will get reign of the living room while Im at work.

This is my first time with a puppy (let alone an indoor dog), and its going fairly smooth. Its not easy, its a lot patience. I lost it once with him, and immediately caught myself. Hes teaching me as much as I am teaching him. Keep your cool, be stern when needed, LOTS of praise when he does good.

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
I didn't have my guys when they were that young, but I went through the biting issues. I use my thumb and forefinger and "pinch" them when they are doing it and after awhile they stopped. I also try and use the pinching to stop them from biting anything they shouldn't, which is easy to do when they are inside but out doors is a different subject. As for the peeing, I am just now letting them spend he entire day and night out of their crates. I take them out after they wake up, or about every hour. So far so good. Gomer has had accidents (7 I think since in 9 months or so I had them) but he has also had bladder issues. And if I see them walk near or look at the door I take them. They don't give me any clues they need to go so I try to read their mind!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Amelia is just 8 weeks, and we just picked her up yesterday afternoon and she has already earned the nickname Little Miss Sharkie!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I am going to repost here what I posted on another thread before because this is very common.

It's the puppy stage and he is teething. But now is a good time to teach him limits on the biting. A stern NO, and redirect to a chew toy. Another device you can use is a can or bottle with some pennies in it that you can shake when he is nipping. This is perfectly normal puppy behavior. It would be abnormal if he didn't do this, as pups explore with their mouth. Every one in this forum, almost if not entirely without exception have experienced the same thing with the pups. Those puppy teeth are sharp as razors and I have had numerous forearm marks to prove it. But it improves fairly rapidly. Be consistent with the No and redirect and the shaking of the can if you need it. Its a wonderful privilege and joy to have a bulldog, they are quite special in all regards.

Last edited:

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I am going to repost here what I posted on another thread before because this is very common.

It's the puppy stage and he is teething. But now is a good time to teach him limits on the biting. A stern NO, and redirect to a chew toy. Another device you can use is a can or bottle with some pennies in it that you can shake when he is nipping. This is perfectly normal puppy behavior. It would be abnormal if he didn't do this, as pups explore with their mouth. Every one in this forum, almost if not entirely without exception have experienced the same thing with the pups. Those puppy teeth are sharp as razors and I have had numerous forearm marks to prove it. But it improves fairly rapidly. Be consistent with the No and redirect and the shaking of the can if you need it. Its a wonderful privilege and joy to have a bulldog, they are quite special in all regards.

I used to wear my leather motorcycle gloves when I play with her because of those crazy sharp shark teeth. She has learned to calm down but she is also teething so I give her frozen apple slices or greenbeans to help her out. I also keep a variety of different toys of different materials so she has a choice of chewing on the material that feels good at that time.

It takes time but potty training wasn't that bad. Pickle uses a litter box when I'm at work but she prefers the back yard when I am home. Treats and time, they will have accidents but EB are pretty smart and learn quickly when food is involved.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Ahhhhhh, the BITING!!! Bulldog pup, shark teeth, and bullheadedness= A FRUSTRATED, bruised and battered pup mommy and daddy!! I had so many teeth marks on my arms and legs, I swear I oozed fluid when I drank from all the holes !!
First: take a deep breath and remember that you are in charge. Find what works for you: redirection ( this worked only sometimes) I found that when Bogey was over tired or over stimulated, the biting got worse. Water spray bottle: he LOVED it- he thought it was a game. Shake can ( coins in a soda can) this got his attention for the first few times we used it, then the noise didn't phase him. Putting him in a submissive position ( back or side) made his aggression worse! We did find that putting him in his crate settled him down immediately. He hates being away from us. There are some who advised me not to use the crate for punishment, but it was working and we were so desperate. I was fearful that we had an aggressive dog, but the wise members here assured me that the biting would resolve as the pup got older as long as I stayed firm, consistent and never aggressive myself. It was hard, and sometimes I had to really regroup, but they were right. Bogey is now 7 months and is for the most part, a perfect gentleman. Again, he gets a little mouthy when he is overtired, but is NOTHING like he was at 12-20 weeks. So, hang in there, find what works or you, keep your a rms and legs overhead to minimize scarring(lol!) and love him with all your heart- that will prevail in the end! Good luck!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN........ When we picked up Amelia the day before yesterday I was bleeding before we got out the door!! lol... she is just 8 weeks.
I am glad you joined but we need way more pix of that little darling!! Enjoy the site and please participate in the discussions. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered with some good advice/info..... jsut stopping by to say :welcome3:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Welcome to EBN, I recommend a trip to the local pharmacy and stocking up on bandaids and peroxide, it takes time but will eventually pass.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: It sounds like Happy is just exploring her little world. You got some great advice on here. I remember the biting stage well with other puppies I have had. It passes!

Last edited:

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Hi there & welcome ! I'm new too! Great question, as I have the same issue with our now 10 weekl old Mia. I have been doing most of these things and they work - temporarily. I got two teethmarks above my lip last night - with blood! my fault as I went in for kisses but got teeth - you also need to be wary of their moods! She was overtired - to the kennel she went for 30 minutes and she totally calmed down! I didn't look at as punishment but as a time out ;)
I will be trying the pennies in the jar!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online