New in more ways than one!

Johnandmisty

Apr 29, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hello All,
My husband and I are the proud owners of a 12 week old EBD. My husband begged me for years to get him one, so I surprised him a few weeks ago with the puppy. I myself have never had a bulldog before but I have read everything I can find on them! He has so much personality (doganality?) and is super smart! He is quite a handful tho!!!
My biggest problem is he eats EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby and I both try to keep an eye on him at all times so I do not understand how he gets the things he does in his mouth! If it hits the floo,he eats it!!! Swallows it whole as a matter of fact! My question to y'all is, is this a very common thing and is it just while they are puppies or will it stop when he gets older? We love our baby sooo much and I am scared he will eat something he can not hack up or "pass" through.
I am so glad to have a place to ask questions, get advice and share pics and stories of my baby with other bulldog owners!
Misty

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just left a link in your other thread with a link to a wonderful resource..it has lots of info..this link is to their puppy info!

They do eat everything! Jake has gotten better but obstructions are a true fear!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!!

They are quick... try using a spray bottle with water in it, squirt him with a firm 'NO' or 'LEAVE IT" when he goes to touch anything he should not -- it works for a lot of training, but some pups will also just see it as a toy. GOOD LUCK!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
:smileywelcome: to EBN.

It's common thing. My pup is almost 5 months old and if it's on the floor, he'll try to eat it. We're just really careful now, and don't leave anything he can reach lying around.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN....... Eating everything is a problem and should try to be prevented as much as possible. Take things out of her mouth if you catch her. They can choke but the worse problem is blockage which can kill them or at least have to need an operation to remove.
I am glad you joined but we are going to need lots of pix of that precious baby ;)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] is right. I love the "leave it" command. It wasn't too hard to teach my male bullmastiff, who was a Dyson with 4 legs. Welcome! Your puppy is adorable!

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
Hello. Great looking EBD. My guys are around 15 months old and they are still wanting their mouth on everything. In the house I have been able to teach them to leave most things like shoes alone, but just the other day they began chewing the woodwork in the hallways. They also like to chew the bottom on the love seat. Outside they go at everything, and it's harder to catch them to stop them - but I try..

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
we got bitter apple spray and sprayed ALL the furniture the day before Chunky came home... perhaps itwas over kill but he is 9months old now and dose not eat furniture!! Oh but the store brand i have been told will not work, good luck!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Handsome little fella you have there.

We just rescued an 8 week old puppy yesterday and I think we are going to have similar problems with Little Miss Amelia eating everything. Now I've got to go look up the toxicity of Sedum, I think she's eaten quite a bit today. And its very hard to clean things out of her mouth with those little shark teeth.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:welcome3: Handsome little fella you have there.

We just rescued an 8 week old puppy yesterday and I think we are going to have similar problems with Little Miss Amelia eating everything. Now I've got to go look up the toxicity of Sedum, I think she's eaten quite a bit today. And its very hard to clean things out of her mouth with those little shark teeth.

Weeeeeeeeeeeee! And the fun begins, eh [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] ? *wonderful fun*

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
:smileywelcome: to EBN, they do eat everything as puppies and there are few people here with adult bullies that still eat everything. Just be patient and vigilant as other have suggested and you will be fine.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Weeeeeeeeeeeee! And the fun begins, eh @LariP ? *wonderful fun*

It's been many many years since I have had a puppy. I think I had forgotten this part....But Miss Amelia is reminding me with a vengeance! But just now she reminded me about how quickly they can do something so cute that makes you love them even more. She's laying playing with a toy so sweetly instead of being the wild shark she can turn into in an instant.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.