Hey Hey Hey! :) Future Bulldog Parents

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Well you are certainly preparing yourself you reading many opinions and experiences, I did for seven years before my first bully, that was 8 years ago when I got my first. And when I thought I knew everything I needed to know and had my first. I had to learn everything all over again as each one is different. But ready everything will prepare you for lots and lots of useful maintenance tips. tail pockets, nose ropes and tear stains. not mention chin pimples and anal glands, from one end to the other. all in a days work.

Sherry and the twenty paws want to put out a big :smileywelcome: to [MENTION=2715]Kimberly[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8649]GusBus[/MENTION]

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Hahaha! I have heard, and watched several videos on it. None of that really grosses me out though. I'm a girl that likes one or two showers a day, why wouldn't my dog want to be JUST as clean. Plus, with all the adorable wrinkles that makes them so precious and unique, one can only expect a little work. Everyone says beauty takes some serious effort! Haha! The only thing I am nervous about and will probably either get done, and or have to get comfortable with is the nail cutting. Cutting too far into the quick has always made me nervous with every dog I've had. Thanks for the welcome! I know you're full of knowledge, I've read a LOT of your posts and responses. :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hi and welcome!! Love the name Porter, but it's ok to have a few more Winston's around, too. Lots of bullies named Mac or Mack but my Mac is named after his breeder's kennel. Haven't seen another Cleo though! I love the name Porkchop myself, or Toofie LOL You'll have plenty of time to research and get stocked up on food and other bully supplies. Actually, it probably wouldn't be a half bad idea to buy a reloadable visa card or something and start tucking cash away for when you finally get to bring him home, they do add up pretty quick. Lots of 'foodies' on here will help you out, I don't know much about kibble as I raw feed but when I have had to feed kibble (we're military and recently moved hence lots of traveling) I go with Fromm's Beef Fritatta. Lots were recommending it so I took the advice I was reading about. I WOULD NOT suggest staying with Royal Canin, please check out the dog food ratings. Ours are a special breed and need special care given in regards to skin care and feeding as I'm sure you know. I've recently purchased Duoxo pads and Malacetic Ultra for my Fat Cleo, she's highly allergic to this IL grass and was fine all winter. She was also fine for the most part in WA where we moved from 6 months ago. I'll pray your Porter doesn't have any allergies:pray:
Can't wait to finally 'meet' your Porter! Mmmmm, I want a steak now!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
That is so funny, because I was looking at Fromm as a serious contender. There are a couple others my husband is looking at, but of course I can't remember their name off the top of my head. I even looked at the idea of going raw, just to make sure everything he gets is 100% safe and healthy. I have read pros and cons, and still am undecided on that one. I was on a thread on here about that, and my computer died. Baha! I have definitely noticed the popularity with Fromm, just from reading on here. That's good to know!!

One thing that totally freaked me out today, was the debate on vaccinations. Before we get Porter, I am going to meet with two vets that I've narrowed my search down to, both that are trusted with and comfortable working with bulldogs. I have never honestly thought about questioning your vets opinion, because I would assume you're going to one that you whole heartedly trust. The stories I read about over-vaccinating today, eeeek! I didn't know how bad nor how common that is. That's going to take me some serious time to figure out. I have no kids! Can you tell? Ha! I am wanting to make sure I do as much as possible right with my future dog child, I can only imagine it would be ten times worse with my own little wee one.

The comment last night about neutering got me thinking... So of course, today at work I spent a lot of my time looking at the pros and cons of neutering. I'm honestly leaning towards NOT neutering, because it seems that the health benefits win out big time. I don't necessarily plan on breeding or even thinking of that at this point, but the benefit of testosterone in a male dog is surprising to me. I'm not sure why, but it did. I guess I just didn't know what all testosterone affected, and how major of an impact it makes. Honestly, before I read anything today, I had the mindset of, "You're not breeding, so you obviously neuter", but I am glad I learned it is necessarily required.

Thank y'all for the warm welcome! I highly doubt my husband will ever be on here, but his name is Andrew. Just so it doesn't seem like he's some anonymous man behind the curtain. Ha! Who knows, he may surprise me and be on here more than me!?

YES! You should totally try raw, but I'm not biased or anything:p

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Oh [MENTION=8480]Kymberly[/MENTION] - I wish every new bulldog parent was as fanatical as you and I are. LOL

I had to wait for my Bea for a long time too. By the time she arrived, it was as though I had the baby myself. Seriously.

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Haha!! I have a pretty small feeling that's the way I'm going to be. My husband laughs at me and is like really, what else do you have to learn or read about.... There's something new everyday, and I guess I'm just so excited about him, it fills the time until he gets here. Plus, I think it's irresponsible on my part if I don't learn all I can. He's a real live pup that deserves someone that knows how to take care of him! I know they're high maintenance, so I need to know all I can, cause even with what I know I'll still be thrown for a loop with one of their crazy allergies or something else. :) I would feel really over the top with it, but I get on here and see the people that actually have their little pups are the same way.
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Yours are absolutely adorable! I love your picture with them just looking up at you looking like, 'Really, is she going to give me the treat, or just keep taking pictures of me here....'

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello and :welcome: to ebn. its so nice to see people try to prepare for their bully instead of just getting one and finding out its not the right thing for them. as much as you read having one is a new experience. i never thought 5 years ago when we were given sarah by someone who just didnt want her no more the journey i was about to take. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
well hello and :welcome: to ebn. its so nice to see people try to prepare for their bully instead of just getting one and finding out its not the right thing for them. as much as you read having one is a new experience. i never thought 5 years ago when we were given sarah by someone who just didnt want her no more the journey i was about to take. :)

Thank God she got you!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:welcome: Kimberly it is so nice to have you here! You have done an excellent job of researching this breed before bringing home a puppy! It is the only way to get any dog. So many people jump in without a clue!

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Thank y'all so much for the warm welcome! I can't wait to be able to share pictures/videos/and stories with you all! :) I'm sure I'll have questions, but at least I'll be able to participate in the convos and polls too! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.