Hey Hey Hey! :) Future Bulldog Parents

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Hello all! My name is Kymberly, and my husband and I are HOPEFULLY getting our baby Porter in July, or the latest October. We're #13 on the list, but after entirely too much research and time selecting our breeder, making the visit, meeting their babies, we put our deposit down and now it's just the waiting game. They have three litters due in May, but depending on litter size, and what the other people ahead of me choose, I just don't want to get my hopes us. The next momma would be in season in the summer, so October would be the estimated 'bring him home' time. AT THE LATEST! I'm so sad to wait, but happy to have a breeder than doesn't just breed to breed, waits for guaranteed parents and homes, and one that I FULLY trust. I cannot wait to have our little man! Obviously, we have decided on a boy, and we chose the name Porter. It was that or Winston, but I see SO MANY Winston's, I want our little guy to be unique. ;)

I figured that I needed to at least say hello, cause I spend a lot of my time reading every thread on here, and everyone seems SO friendly and nice! I'm over the top when it comes to research and reviews and I honestly just want to be fully prepared and ready to be the best Bulldog Momma that I can be! To say that I'm excited would be an understatement. I've wanted an English Bulldog my whole life, and now that I'm settled, married to another dog lover, and we're home all the time outside of work, WE ARE READY to have a pup back in our lives! I don't know how people make it daily without a dog in their lives! Everyone says adding a bulldog to your family changes you forever, and we are SO ready!

I have spent the past month making a list of tips and tricks, do's and don'ts, and I'm honestly just making myself more anxious. But! I have a lot of things figured out and ready, but still have to make the important decision of what food he is going to eventually be eating, if he will stay with the Royal Canin our breeders swear by, if we're going to get pet insurance, and if we're going to neuter him or let him feel like a real man! :tongue: Anything you guys want to share, BRING IT, if not, I'll continue to creep on the pages and just take it all in. I don't mind and appreciate the education and humor! :)

I just wanted to say hi! All of the precious pups I've seen on here are simply adorable and melt my heart! What blessings y'all have!! Have an excellent evening!:yes:

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
hi and welcome.....when you get your baby...don't forget to send pictures :)

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
Hi Kymberly and her husband - that sounds great, hope your wait is shorter than long, but regardless I am sure it will be worth the wait. I should have done the research like that, but too late now - and now that I got my guys, I am happy to have them and wouldn't trade 'em. I know the waiting is hard. For food, I don't know what the "breeder" used, he told me one thing, but there was no evidence of it on site. I got them at approximately 7 months or so. I tried them on Hills Science Diet then Purina Pro Plan, but both of those caused severe diarrhea. So I went to Royal Canin Bulldog 32 then when 1 moved to Bulldog 24. Diarrhea is no longer an issue however the skin is, so I am in the process of changing over to Natural Balance LID SweetPotato and Fish, hopefully it'll work and then my guys can be just like Tillman! (or at least healthy!!). A positive of the Royal Canin is it seemed to reduce the amount of gas produced by the boys.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: You are doing it right..and by the time your baby gets here..you can read everything on here! :eek: I love his name..I know you'll love it here..as you know already, we are a big dysfunctional family! :ROFL: Well...:shhhh: SOME here are dysfunctional..but that's what makes it feel like home. Don't hesitate to ask away and can't wait to meet your new guy! :D

Ohhhhh one thing....having two big things hanging down...clanging together..won't make him a real man...but being neutered WILL make him a happy..healthy :bully:

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Absolutely! Once we have him, the picture of me and my husband will be long gone. Ha! :tongue: I have heard a LOT about Royal Canin and that's it a great option, then a few others. We shall see.

The neutering, the only reason we wouldn't do it is if we decided to possibly show him. That is WAY down the line, so we shall see. His health will be the number one priority, and if he's safer and better without the bits, they will be gone.

Everyone seems so friendly, and I love the healthy dialogue and input. It's good to read the polls too! So many things that people warn you about, or that are listed as negatives for the breed, they don't seem to be as common as the bright yellow caution sign would lead you to believe. Thankfully! Either way, I'm getting him knowing the possibilities and just ready to have him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome Kymberly! Sounds like you have a wonderful head start, and the more you read the more you will learn! Glad we have helped you so far.

Now about the dysfunctional family, exactly WHO are you referring to [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ???? :starwars:

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I, too, have been waiting many, MANY years for my bulldog, and we just brought home our Gus last week!! You mentioned pet insurance.. another member here wrote a rave about Embrace pet insurance so I checked it out, and sure enough, it was way better than any other policy I had found using my own research! We signed up today. Maybe that helps? Congrats on your new upcoming baby! You are very patient.. I thought it was excruciating to wait two weeks between picking Gus and bringing him home, much less waiting till potentially October! It is all worth it in the end!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Kymberly, Hoping we hear good news in May! I love the name Porter too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello and welcome to EBN..... LOVE, love, LOVE your enthusiasm and all the research you are doing. Food is your biggest friend when it comes to a bulldog... do your research

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings&

:welcome: and it's wonderful that you have done such extensive research already. Now you will have a little more time to float around EBN and pick up advice and other tips.

The only one thing I disagree whole-heartedly on is that Royal Canin is a good food .. it's not .. it's :barf:. But you've got a lot of time to make your decision about what good foods you can put your baby on. Just read through the ratings guide that 2BullyMama posted for you in her post above and it will give you better ideas of what you want to do. I can say that as you read through various posts here that a lot of people really love the Fromm Puppy Gold food to wean their babies on to!! :yes:

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
That is so funny, because I was looking at Fromm as a serious contender. There are a couple others my husband is looking at, but of course I can't remember their name off the top of my head. I even looked at the idea of going raw, just to make sure everything he gets is 100% safe and healthy. I have read pros and cons, and still am undecided on that one. I was on a thread on here about that, and my computer died. Baha! I have definitely noticed the popularity with Fromm, just from reading on here. That's good to know!!

One thing that totally freaked me out today, was the debate on vaccinations. Before we get Porter, I am going to meet with two vets that I've narrowed my search down to, both that are trusted with and comfortable working with bulldogs. I have never honestly thought about questioning your vets opinion, because I would assume you're going to one that you whole heartedly trust. The stories I read about over-vaccinating today, eeeek! I didn't know how bad nor how common that is. That's going to take me some serious time to figure out. I have no kids! Can you tell? Ha! I am wanting to make sure I do as much as possible right with my future dog child, I can only imagine it would be ten times worse with my own little wee one.

The comment last night about neutering got me thinking... So of course, today at work I spent a lot of my time looking at the pros and cons of neutering. I'm honestly leaning towards NOT neutering, because it seems that the health benefits win out big time. I don't necessarily plan on breeding or even thinking of that at this point, but the benefit of testosterone in a male dog is surprising to me. I'm not sure why, but it did. I guess I just didn't know what all testosterone affected, and how major of an impact it makes. Honestly, before I read anything today, I had the mindset of, "You're not breeding, so you obviously neuter", but I am glad I learned it is necessarily required.

Thank y'all for the warm welcome! I highly doubt my husband will ever be on here, but his name is Andrew. Just so it doesn't seem like he's some anonymous man behind the curtain. Ha! Who knows, he may surprise me and be on here more than me!?

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Congrats on your baby Gus! May I just say he's absolutely precious!! ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online