Nipping and biting! HELP

Paula

Apr 25, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
Hi. My name is Paula and I am new to this site and I am also a brand new English bulldog owner. We got Lexie on Saturday from Florida. We flew in to get her and flew home in the same day. I have been waiting for her for 2 months. She is 8 weeks old. I was so excited to get her and I thought I had researched this breed enough to get started on raising a good pup. Well, she has had different plans for me! She has started biting and nipping and biting our legs while we are walking her outside! She bites our hands, face, arms, it doesn't matter, we are her new chew toy! I don't know how to handle this! I tell her no when she does it and I put her bone in front of her or a toy that she can bite on. I know that this is just a puppy stage (I HOPE), but it really HURTS! It makes me not want to spend time with her, because that's all she wants to do!! Can someone please help me with this problem! I am at my wits end and it's only been 6 days! I have anticipated her arrival for so long and I couldn't wait to get her home and now I'm wondering if I made a bad decision. I hope not. I just don't know what to do! HELP!!!!

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
hi and welcome to ebn....congratulations on your new bully.....others will be along soon that will give you great advice on your problem.....until then.....you are doing right by supplying her with chew toys, telling her no and passing the toy to her........don't get discouraged...it will all work out!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It's the puppy stage and she is teething. But now is a good time to teach her limits on the biting. A stern NO, and redirect to a chew toy. Another device you can use is a can or bottle with some pennies in it that you can shake when she is nipping. This is perfectly normal puppy behavior. It would be abnormal if she didn't do this, as pups explore with their mouth. Every one in this forum, almost if not entirely without exception have experienced the same thing with the pups. Those puppy teeth are sharp as razors and I have had numerous forearm marks to prove it. But it improves fairly rapidly. Be consistent with the No and redirect and the shaking of the can if you need it. Its a wonderful privilege and joy to have a bulldog, they are quite special in all regards.

And oh yes please give us all some pics of your baby.

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Our pup is not quite 10 weeks old, and just today he was in crazy mode and biting at everything like a maniac and I remembered that a more experienced member here had posted advice to someone else about pups biting when they are overtired. I put him in his crate and he was zonked out literally 30 seconds later. Does your new baby get lots of time in a quiet, undisturbed safe place everyday? Just throwing that out there since it helped me!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awww Paula..don't panic or feel like you've made a mistake! You have a puppy! They only know how to play. And biting is part of their playing. Know this for sure..Lexie WILL outgrow this. But there are a few things you can do to hasten her learning curve. Always be consistent with your reaction. They are stubborn little critters..you have to be even more stubborn! When she starts biting..push her away..saying whatever word you use for NO..in a strong stern voice. Give her a "legal" chew toy. Repeat and repeat. I like to use a leash to correct bad behavior. In the house! If she's on a leash and starts to jump up ..gently tug and sternly use your NO word. Repeat this if she starts to chew on anyone..gentle tugs to redirect her, while saying NO..redirect to a chew toy. Coins in a can will sometimes work also.

Another technique that works is reacting like her litter mates would..yelp loudly. This will surprise her and she will stop. You might have to use a combination of things, but be gentle yet firm..most of all..BE CONSISTENT!

And :welcome: :D

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
Hi, welcome and congrats on your new "arrival". I didn't have the pleasure of getting my boys when they were that young, but they also were not used to any real human interaction other than throwing a feed bowl and water bucket in the pen, and opening and closing the gate. The day I met them and brought them home Gomer was nipping and biting when ever he could. But with more and more interaction with them, and showing them I was not to be feared that is no longer an issue. In fact now Gomer is like my right hand if I move he's right there unless he has already jumped in my lap. Vince did not nip and bite much but was more timid and scared. And he too has overcome that pretty well, still cowers at time but no where near as often.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah, the puppy stage.... shark teeth! The gang has you covered with great advice.... :welcome3:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yep I agree .. you are already covered. I especially like the advice from [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION].

Unfortunately, one of the joys of having a puppy is going to work with shredded hands occasionally!!! :blink:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: You've already been given great advice. Just don't give up. When you get past the biting and potty breaking puppy stages she will soon be the pup you wondered how you ever lived happily without.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Puppies explore the world through their mouths. There is lots you can read in books and on the web on "bite inhibition" and "positive reinforcement training". It is about managing, redirecting and diversion not punishment. Lots of good info here from folks to try. Also as [MENTION=8649]GusBus[/MENTION] says when pups get anxious or tired they get more bitey so putting them in their crate with a stuffed kong ( I stuff with banana or canned pure pumpkin) is a good time out. Again it is not about seeing the crate as a punishment. They will usually fall asleep because they are totally exhausted. Don't get discouraged. Most of us have had shredded flesh for a time but then our pups slowly begin to learn that it is not acceptable and they learn when they get bitey the fun stops. Try not to get too discouraged. Consistency is the key. Good luck.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=8680]Paula[/MENTION] - and why do we not have pictures posted of this precious angel baby? *hands on hips* We folks with older dogs live vicariously though you new puppy owners. POSTAPIC POSTAPIC POSTAPIC! Please? :pray2:

Johnandmisty

Apr 29, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
My puppy is 12 weeks old and he bites too but it has gotten a hundred times better in the past few weeks! His little teeth are sooo sharp, I feel your pain, literally. It will get better and the moments of joy you get from playing with or just watching your pup play will make the pain feel better! It is really hard to stay mad at a face that cute!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
as JakeisGreat explained "Another technique that works is reacting like her litter mates would..*YELP* loudly. This will surprise her and she will stop. You might have to use a combination of things, but be gentle yet firm..most of all..BE CONSISTENT!"

Puppies in their pack learn their limits, by their pack mates YELPING, almost saying *HEY ! That Hurt !* Now what others didnt point out, is that a puppy learning their 'Mouth Limits' early is VERY important, because if they become older, and they dont know their limits, it could be very dangerous for not only the BITEE but the BITER :(

Consistency is Key ! and you need to get the whole family involved ! if Mom says OUCH, and Dad Doesnt, then the puppy gets confusing signals.

The next question you will have, is potty training - remember a short formula, AGE in MONTHS + 1 = length of 'Hold time' (APPROXIMATELY!) a 2 month old puppy should be able to hold out for a MAXIMUM of 3 hours between potty breaks. a 3 month old would be 4 hours etc. So 10 PM he'll have to go out about 1 am, and 4 am etc. So you will have to keep this in mind at night.. OHHH the puppy stages ! ! ! Hershey just turned 1 recently, and even though they are very cute at that point, I dont miss the middle of the night wake up and take them out etc :) :) Good Luck, post often, and lots of pictures.

Speak of Pictures, some have started threads - and Update the thread with Pictures, ever few days, weeks, months etc, that way you can (well, WE can) see your puppy grow and mature :) :) and its nice for you to look back on in a year of 4 and remember the puppy stages :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online