Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi,

New here as I recently put down a deposit on a new english bulldog puppy! I have been looking close to a year now and have finally pulled the trigger!

I am looking for tips for a first time bulldog puppy owner and as a matter of fact, first time dog owner. I have been doing research looking at check lists, and talking to the breeder about different things and such. Here was just a small list I have compiled thus far. Most of it from this website's "Welcoming home a puppy"

• Crate enclosed
  • Potty training pads -> Breeder said these will probably be useless and chew objects
  • Chew toys
  • Leash and harness
  • Stainless steel water and food bowls
  • Bitter Apple spray for no chewing
  • Enzyme Cleaner

What else can you guys think of when you brought your bully home? I don't go pick him up until the first weekend in June so I have some time but want to be as prepared as possible. I have thought of a couple of questions for you all as well. Not sure if this is the right forum, but please move this if it's not.

How many people get pet insurance with bulldogs and how much does it cover with a general plan? Are most vaccinations and regular visits covered by a good chunk?

When does a puppy switch over from puppy kibble to adult food, is there a definite "6 month" rule? I know you're supposed to ease into it, adding more and more adult food to their daily serving, until completely adult food.

What are some tell tale signs that a certain brand/mix of food isn't working with a bulldogs diet? I have read a lot about a tear stain, but not sure what that is. Plus their paws and face get red too correct? Any others?

Lastly, anyone in the Twin Cities, Minneapolis-St.Paul area recommend a vet? I know that this place has recommendations, just wanted to know if anyone personally lives in the area.

And without further ado, meet Winston! Its attached since I can't link from photobucket

Ednosekjr

Nov 29, 2012
oro valley , Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir codsworth,(knuckles)
First off welcome to the form, I have just got my bulldog three weeks ago.let me try to help you if I can.
1. Buy a slow feed bowl, you can find them on amazon, try to get something other then plastic ,stainless steel is good.
2. Make sure you feed him a good food, the one I use is Fromm ,you may have to look hard to find it or order it on line.
3. Take him out every two hours to potty train him or right after he wakes from a nap after he is done playing and right after he eats.
4. At night set an alarm and take him out about every four hours, then bring him right back to his crate, this will help him make it through the night. Puppy's bladders have not yet developed and will not be to wait all night.
5.Remove all food and water after 7:00 this will help for the night time trainning. Remember there will be accidents in the house so don't get mad it is not his fault
i hope I was able to help you some , good luck and hope to see more pictures soon. He is adorable. By the way great name

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well welcome to the site and congrats on the new pup. We feed ours FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag. You can switch to adult food around 6 to 7 month. Like you said, do a slow transition. You can try the puppy pads but as your breeder has said, he will probable just use it for a chew toy. Get some Nylabones, and Kong toys. No rawhides, pig ears or bully sticks and they are chocking hazards. As far as potty training goes, just be patient and take him out about every two hours, as soon as he wakes up from a nap, stops playing, or after you feed him. I don't care what anyone tells you, DO NOT restrict water from that baby. It does not help with potty training and it is unhealthy for the pup. We have potty trained many a pup and have never and will never restrict water from them. As questions come up just pop in here and ask. Your pup is very precious, thanks for sharing the pic. Here is a link to a good little letter from your pup.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

Kippah

Apr 18, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kippah
I remember waiting for Kippah like it was just yesterday. Here is what worked for us, and what did not.
WORKED:
Jolly Balls, Jolly Teaser Balls, we bought three sizes and she never played with the little one, she is no sissy! Best toy ever! almost 2 years later and it is still played with all the time.
Nyla bones, only chew toy we used.
Kong and Cuz toys
2 hour timer, taking food bowl away at night.
Strict about crate time! no big fluffy pillows or anything in the crate to start with,
we went with a harness over a collar
Obedience classes! first with puppy, and then at least the next step.
Benadryl on hand
we used a goat soap with no fragrance for baths, never a skin issue
we found bowls in an adjustable stand, so they can be raised as she grows. and only stainless

What did not work;
any toy other than Nyla, Kong, Jolly ball, and cuz
thinking we would let her sleep on the bed as a puppy after we was potty trained, bad idea!
letting her watch us eat...we are still working on her with this! she should have been trained to go to the kennel during dinner

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That picture is adorable!! Wee little Winston!

My biggest piece of advice is to check back to this website often, it will give you more Bulldog education then you could ever imagine.

:welcome:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: What a sweet little baby! I can't offer any more advice than you have already gotten. We are looking forward to seeing your little one grow up!

Lalabangbang

Apr 9, 2013
Fort Pierce,fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Booty Trudy
Welcome your lil pup is way too cute! Our pup just came home tonight. I have everything you mentioned minus the puppy pads I don't believe in that pups go outside not on a pad! Keep us updated with pictures as you get them and if I notice anything that I can't believe I forgot to get ill let u know!

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Perfect info! What are the normal feed cycles then everyone had done as the pups get older? No food before bed, by two hours or how long?

What about pet insurance? I know you have to get it prior to any eval or it becomes a pre existing condition. Sure is gonna help with the info about potty training. Thanks again and will update weekly as that's when I get new pics!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: You've found the right place for sure! Here's a link to a great online dog magazine. They have great topics and really really helped me crate train Jake. I read and read while waiting for him to be ready! If you do a search here, you will find lots of info on pet insurance. A great way to pass th time! Good Luck and he is wonderful!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/tpuppy.html

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
:welcome3: to EBN looks like you got all the info you need, the only other thing I can suggest is stocking up on bandaids and peroxide cause puppy teeth are like little razors :2thumbs: and they can be very mouthy especially when they are teething.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW... you sure are getting prepared -- I LOVE IT!!

:welcome3: to EBN!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.