Need suggestions for crabby female!

Wilfred

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilfred & Dozer
I have a female Roxie (5) years old who is the alpha. Last fall we rescue a male Tyson (approx 4-5 years). For the most part they get along- but sometimes (especially when we have ccompany ) they can't get along. Either Roxie will start staring at Tyson or Tyson growls (he seems to have a large personal bubble) and if we don't distract them in time a brawl will start. I am looking for any suggestions - thanks

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd suggest just watching them very closely and disagree with the staring behavior whenever / where ever it happens. Eventually, you won't have to monitor it so closely. They'll unlearn this "habit" of sorts. I would probably guess that the excitement of company also triggers their issues. Some dogs never become "best buds" but they are a pack and their DNA will force them to come back together always. A pack will always come back together --- regardless of the scrap/fight/issue.

If their trigger is especially quick, having a squirt bottle at the ready is what I used on Bo for this very thing. At about a year old, he became Bea's arch nemesis demon brother -- and it wasn't fair to Bea to be hassled so relentlessly and so forcefully by her little brother -- who outweighs her by 35 lbs. Problem resolved. Bo doesn't do that stuff anymore for the most part. Any current issues are easily corrected verbally. (I use "ACK" for my disagreeing sound) Iron clad consistency --- and fairness when using the tool --- is key to success.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd suggest just watching them very closely and disagree with the staring behavior whenever / where ever it happens. Eventually, you won't have to monitor it so closely. They'll unlearn this "habit" of sorts. I would probably guess that the excitement of company also triggers their issues. Some dogs never become "best buds" but they are a pack and their DNA will force them to come back together always. A pack will always come back together --- regardless of the scrap/fight/issue.

If their trigger is especially quick, having a squirt bottle at the ready is what I used on Bo for this very thing. At about a year old, he became Bea's arch nemesis demon brother -- and it wasn't fair to Bea to be hassled so relentlessly and so forcefully by her little brother -- who outweighs her by 35 lbs. Problem resolved. Bo doesn't do that stuff anymore for the most part. Any current issues are easily corrected verbally. (I use "ACK" for my disagreeing sound) Iron clad consistency --- and fairness when using the tool --- is key to success.

perfect info^^^^^

I also have a very attitude filled female.... love her to pieces, but we have had her all her life and she is in constant training. Knowing the triggers is a big plus, staying on top of them and being consistent is the harder part.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
You've already been given better advice than I could give on the behaviors. So all I can add is :welcome3:

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I also have a "crabby" female. I try to distract them when they start staring. This usually involves me leaving the room. If they don't listen they both get a time out by me putting them in separate rooms and shutting the door. I make sure to tell them "time out". In this way, Liz learned not to fight back, so she no longer gets a time out. Their fighting has gotten less and less, but sometimes Amy still circles Liz in a bullying manner. I will use my "happy" voice and say something like "good girls don't fight, who's a good girl". It actually works and my husband is quite impressed.

When I had them in training, the trainer recommended putting the leash on the naughty one and leading her to time out. I just have to make sure Liz is not angry and won't attack Amy if she is leashed.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Maybe a can of coins might work. If you see the behavior starting shake the can and startle them.

:sunny:Welcome to English Bulldog News. We are so glad that you have joined us here!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.