I was just rescued!

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Hi everyone, I'm Mike!

A very proud owner of a newly rescued 2 year old EB, her name is Kiah (Kee-ah). My poor girl has lived a very rough life. I have some friends down here in FL that are active with many rescue organizations. Last week I got a call from one of my friends in a panic. She had recently been contacted by a lady who absolutely had to get rid of her bully, that very day. She was unable to go down there and see her. She asked if I could go and assess the situation. She had a feeling there has been abuse and neglect. I rushed down there asap.

Upon arriving at the house, I entered the front door and there were 2 small dogs (mini pinscher/shih tzu) who were just yapping away. I eagerly looked around for Kiah and she was no where in site. She then walked me out the backdoor. I about flipped when I saw Kiah locked in a cage outside, panting with no water and dirty blankets. I live in S. FL and it was at least 85 degrees outside. I asked her about the situation and she was very hesitant to tell me what had gone on. I immediately suspected neglect and abuse. She did tell me that the dog had only been to the vet once and has yet to receive her second set of vaccines (She turned 2 in Dec). I had a long list of questions for this lady and she was very hesitant on saying anything. I was finally able to get some info out of her and she said there was an altercation with Kiah and the mini about a year and a half ago and Kiah has been OUTSIDE ever since! They never corrected the behavior and Kiahs' dog aggression continued to grow into territorial and fear, plus some dominance issues. Right then and there I knew I was taking the the dog out of this situation to foster her if anything else. The lady did tell me that she doesn't like strangers and she probably won't come come out to meet me.

I have had dogs since I was 4, I'm very used to all their mannerisms, training, aggression, issues, etc etc. My last dog, Jake, passed away 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 18, we played fetch the morning he passed...

I got to the side of the cage and let her come to me, she got right up and started to sniff, after I saw she was calm I opened her cage and she came right out, sniffed and licked my hand. I knew right there this dog and I had a connection. The previous owner about hit the floor. She told me that she never did that to anyone. I almost said, ya that's what happens when you lock a dog in a cage on a back porch for over a year all whilst instilling fear. The poor dog has never actually been able to be a dog! She has been locked up since she was 6 months old, never properly trained or cared for. I bit my tongue and continued to bond with Kiah, visioning all the fun I'd hope we could have. Showing her the world and letting her experience it in a healthy environment.

I gathered what I could and immediately got her out of the situation. I was shocked to see how much she loved the car ride home. Once I got back into my town and got her out, I took her for a walk and soon realized the behavioral issue my girl has. She is very dog aggressive, she is scared of almost everything and has some territorial issues with furniture. I immediately contacted some friends and got an animal behaviorist over asap to continue to help me check for her triggers and yes she has a few. Luckily she has a calm, assertive dad who loves dogs and will do anything to help balance her. We went to the vet, all tests came back negative. Over the weekend I started to slowly reset some of her triggers. She would freak if she heard anything get dragged across the floor, now she is getting curious, just like a puppy and coming to investigate, calmly. Of course sudden movements are another story.

We had some serious issues on our walks at first, we couldn't get more than a half a block or 2, she just stayed in predator mode and didn't want to migrate. Continually trying to pull and turning on her inner Bully. I'm very happy to say that this morning we went almost 8 blocks without stopping. She is walking next to me and barely pulls. She regresses every so often, yet every walk is getting better and better. She now knows how to sit as well as the hand command. Boundaries have been set in the house and she has been respecting them fully, until she gets spooked, she tries to retreat to my bedroom, which is very high value and she knows it. She is fully grasping wait and stay and she sure does enjoy her beef/liver treats while learning :D

Sadly, this morning, our theory of her being abused has been assured. My neighbor slammed her door and Kiah went into guard mode. I raised my hand up too quickly into a sit command (I was on the phone) and she instantly cowered in fear. My heart and soul sank to the floor. The previous owners' hit her. I promise you all, she will get the help she needs. I'm dedicated to her and I want to fully rehabilitate her. My behaviorist and I agree, she may not be able to play with other does since the behavior went on for so long, but we both think we may be able to socialize her in 6-12 months. Of course in my dreams I see her running around with all the neighborhood dogs, hopefully that dream comes true.

I'm very proud of her, she has changed soooo much in just a week alone. I could go on for hours about how much she has improved, I'll save that for future threads.

I'm honored to be a part of this community, I've been reading this site for over a year and told myself I wouldn't join until my EB and I were united.

Here we are!
Thank you all for reading our story,
Kiah and Mike

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to EBN Mike and Kiah. Your introduction story is wonderful and I look forward to seeing more pictures of Kiah and reading about your success in your posts!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: So glad Kiah not only met her rescuer that day but her forever daddy too! Now...since you've been reading so long, you know the #1 rule around here! :pics:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:bravo: what a wonderful wonderful story.... bless you heart and soul for saving her from that horrendous situation.

Bulldogs are the most loving breed and I am sure you will see all of that come out in her.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Welcome to EBN Mike and Kiah! I am very touched at her story. You came into her life for a reason and what time she should come around as best as she can. We have a lot of folks here that have rescued and they should probably be chiming in soon. I look very forward to hearing and seeing her progress. How do you pronounce her name? Is it like "key ah"?

So glad you found us. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: Now that's what I call a proper introduction and so well worth the wait, I can't wait to hear more of your adventure with Kiha. I'm proud of you being part of this bulldog community :dancing:
:thankyou:

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
:welcome3: So glad Kiah not only met her rescuer that day but her forever daddy too! Now...since you've been reading so long, you know the #1 rule around here! :pics:

Ask and ye shall receive!!! Lol she just got all excited when I hit insert files, I think she likes being on the net, hahaha!
We had 3 almost perfect walks today and we were complimented on our good behavior! Luckily there wasn't any other dogs around, but we're working on that :D

My bone!.jpgSitting pretty.jpgSolemn.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Ask and ye shall receive!!! Lol she just got all excited when I hit insert files, I think she likes being on the net, hahaha!
We had 3 almost perfect walks today and we were complimented on our good behavior! Luckily there wasn't any other dogs around, but we're working on that :D

View attachment 40480View attachment 40481View attachment 40482

Now that's more like it! Those big brown eyes should be able to melt any cold heart! I just don't get how some people can be immune to that!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy:

Wow..just wow! I'm so happy she was sent to you and you answered the call. What a wonderful bond you will have..and I'm sure you do already. I'm constantly amazed at the ability of wonderful dogs to forgive. Personally...I would've had a hard time biting my tongue. But that's why YOU were sent. Having rescued a few dogs in our lives..I so recognize her acting like a pup in certain situations. This is a sign of healing. I'm looking forward to watching your journey...and thrilled you're in our family!

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
Oh my gosh Mike, I had tears reading Kiah's story. I worked with a Rotti rescue that deals with high aggression dogs coming from abuse years back, most of the dogs came out of drug houses where they were made mean in horrible ways. One Rotti we had was caged for a unknown legnth of time, the owner was a dealer who had died and the wife couldn't go near the dog so she put some food in and left. My boss had to use a pole to move him from the cage and trasport into our runs. This dog wanted to kill, it took 2 months before we were able to open his run without him trying to smash through the gate at us and 3 months before we could leash him for quick 1 min rehab walks. After what seemed like an impossible rehab I took him out for his first job in security, when I took him off the truck and unleashed him into the yard he turned at me and jump with his paws on my shoulders. This boy was so big he was looking down on me and I thought I was about to be eaten... he gave me a big kiss and then sat at the fence. From that day on he was the gentlest dog we had and was very loyal to me, he had finally came to trust us.I am so glad Kiah found you, I am sure she will continue to impress you and I hope her past owner is charged and doesn't get anymore pets.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Hey Mike, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for rescuing Kiah. I know all to well what it is like to rescue a bully that has been mistreated and abused. See I currently have 2 rescues which are part of my family and am dealing with the same things that you are.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
This brought tears to my eyes! What a lucky girl Kiah is to have such a wonder person like you now as her owner! She is an absolute beauty. Thank you for opening your heart to this beautiful girl. It's people like you that make this world a wonderful place.

OP
Bullyproof

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Oh my gosh Mike, I had tears reading Kiah's story. I worked with a Rotti rescue that deals with high aggression dogs coming from abuse years back, most of the dogs came out of drug houses where they were made mean in horrible ways. One Rotti we had was caged for a unknown legnth of time, the owner was a dealer who had died and the wife couldn't go near the dog so she put some food in and left. My boss had to use a pole to move him from the cage and trasport into our runs. This dog wanted to kill, it took 2 months before we were able to open his run without him trying to smash through the gate at us and 3 months before we could leash him for quick 1 min rehab walks. After what seemed like an impossible rehab I took him out for his first job in security, when I took him off the truck and unleashed him into the yard he turned at me and jump with his paws on my shoulders. This boy was so big he was looking down on me and I thought I was about to be eaten... he gave me a big kiss and then sat at the fence. From that day on he was the gentlest dog we had and was very loyal to me, he had finally came to trust us.I am so glad Kiah found you, I am sure she will continue to impress you and I hope her past owner is charged and doesn't get anymore pets.

Thank you all for the kind words. She amazes me every second. We worked on "leave it" and "come" today. She is really catching on and I don't need to treat her nearly as often. She knows I'm happy with her, her energy was like a lightning storm when I first got her, now its the calm after the storm. She still isn't used to it, I can feel her shift, but the times in between are getting longer and longer. I took her outside for a quick potty and she was the calmest I've seen to date, she followed like a champ. Then a stray cat walked across the street. Lol she jumped so high cause she got caught slipping, she was so calm, her guard was completely down, she reacted just like a puppy. That was very big for her. Its the first time she didn't drop down, ears up and start to lunge. It was truly amazing. I redirected the other way and we went towards the porch. She followed perfectly and was calm again within seconds. I need to get a helmet cam to catch these moments, they are priceless. I've seen her jump and flip, I'm 5'11" and she can easily jump up past my chest, I think see a frisbee or a dog buoy in her future...

Odessa,
I have worked with Rotties when I was a teenager. Aggressive to show quality. They are such great dogs. I've seen those cases up close, I know exactly how you must have felt. I grew up just north of Detroit and I've seen so many with owners that have no idea what their doing. They are amazing dogs and so loyal. All of my step dads side of the family owned one. Each and every one were wonderful. He was very lucky he had you to care for him. How is he doing now?

For the longest time I've felt like I've been searching/waiting for something. I had no idea what it was or where to look. I've been going to shelters for about a year now and nothing "clicked". I stopped looking and moved forward. Then all of a sudden, here's Kiah! She came and that feeling just dissipated. She has changed so much in the past week, almost as much as I have... She has started to re-balance my life, just as I have hers. We still have a long way to go, but we are definitely on the right path!

More pics :D
Calm.jpgGetting sleepy.jpg

Members online

No members online now.