Baby on the way

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Welcome to EBN. Baby bullies are so adorable it's very difficult to choose (I had the same problem).
Let us know when you made your decision. Good luck!

OP
Odessa

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
Thanks for all the advice guys! At 6 weeks it was really hard to tell if one was a better breather then another, or energy level and personality for that matter. At least not for my armature eyes. :ashamed:

The little brindle boy in the first picture below was my favourite in terms of build, he has really wide shoulders, box head, nice wrinkles and over all thick muscles compared to the others. However, the father of the litter is massive... he is short and compact but he had the biggest neck, head and shoulders I have ever seen on a bulldog. For this reason I picked the runt (second set of pictures), I am hoping for a slightly less stocky frame thinking that he would have an easier time getting around. Although I am now reading that runts tend to catch up and can be just as big or bigger then their litter mates. He also has less wrinkles which I hope translates to less skin problems. I love the fawn/blond look, but can't tell if he will grow out to be on the fawn/fallow side or more red? anyone have a good guess?

Anyhow I am really on the fence now since the breeder said after the fact that the fawn boy I chose is also one of the calmest in the litter :confused: we need our boy to keep up with us on our outdoor adventures. Oh gosh, what to do?

OP
Odessa

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
They are all so cute but the third one (forth picture down) the fawn, oh my....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Yes, that one is so beautiful, but she is a girl... I think she will be a stunner! I was going for a boy as I hear they are more affectionate, anyone find this to be the case?

OP
Odessa

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
:ohmy:

All precious Pups!! But I'm partial to "kissing spots"!!!!!

Jake was the pick of the litter too..of 6 brothers... I knew right away...Congrats to you...and Welcome!!

Oh that is so cute, I love that "kiss spot". He will be loaded with kisses in no time :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the advice guys! At 6 weeks it was really hard to tell if one was a better breather then another, or energy level and personality for that matter. At least not for my armature eyes. :ashamed:

The little brindle boy in the first picture below was my favourite in terms of build, he has really wide shoulders, box head, nice wrinkles and over all thick muscles compared to the others. However, the father of the litter is massive... he is short and compact but he had the biggest neck, head and shoulders I have ever seen on a bulldog. For this reason I picked the runt (second set of pictures), I am hoping for a slightly less stocky frame thinking that he would have an easier time getting around. Although I am now reading that runts tend to catch up and can be just as big or bigger then their litter mates. He also has less wrinkles which I hope translates to less skin problems. I love the fawn/blond look, but can't tell if he will grow out to be on the fawn/fallow side or more red? anyone have a good guess?

Anyhow I am really on the fence now since the breeder said after the fact that the fawn boy I chose is also one of the calmest in the litter :confused: we need our boy to keep up with us on our outdoor adventures. Oh gosh, what to do?

They are both winners... but i love the little fawn baby -- sweet little kiss spot too! as for outdoor adventures -- you do know you are getting a Bulldog, right? They do not do overly well on long outdoor activities especially when it is warm.

OP
Odessa

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1189]Sherri[/MENTION]e
"I like to pick one that picks me too. one that will sit and watch and then get involved. one that looks you in the eye.
has good healthy breathing, has energy to play, when you call or clap he looks at you. Then for the build, that important for a male. (to me) a nice head and full of wrinkles."
Oh my gosh, that was the brindle boy!

1)the law is 8 weeks old. 10 weeks is old is better. it's a personal choice and also at 10 weeks your puppy is more socialized.
The breeder said he can be picked up @ 8 weeks the earliest, but I agree with you and would prefer he get a little more time with mom and litter mates. Do you think he would still get the same socialization if I leave him with mom a bit longer but the other puppies get picked up?
2) you can do better on the food / Fromm puppy
I agree, I would also like to make him home made. I don't want to through him off changing his food when he just gets on solids, how soon do you think I can switch him over?
3) bathe puppy with a baby shampoo and only bathe when dirty , not too often as it will dry out the skin, I do a final rinse with 1 gal water /1cup vinegar and leave on, then dry Got it, baby shampoo and vinegar on stand by.
4) restrict going away/ visiting until all vaccines are completed I live in a complex with a ton of pets in the area, cats are in my yard all the time (they are not mine). Do you think I can get started with housebreaking or is it too much risk for him to be out in the yard before the second set?
5) feed three times a day, if possible, about 3/4 cup a feeding or equaling 2-1/2 to 3 cups a day
6) I don't know the health of Odessa, so I can't comment.
I think she just suffers from allergies at the moment, she often has swollen sore paws or hot spots (poor girl). I was thinking of having her over for a sleep over the first couple nights to stay with the new pup and help him feel safe in his new surroundings away from mom. Not sure if this is a good plan or not?

OP
Odessa

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Yes I know, but I am hoping he can at least join us for some of the trips that are with in his ability. We are lucky if we can get Odessa to walk 2 blocks, I am hoping for a bit more out of my boy :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Yes I know, but I am hoping he can at least join us for some of the trips that are with in his ability. We are lucky if we can get Odessa to walk 2 blocks, I am hoping for a bit more out of my boy :)

It is possible that the new pup wil... Banks is 7.5 yrs old and has a great energy level and breathing. Our boy, Nitschke... he was text book bulldog

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: I would have a tough time deciding on one! I would have to see personalities before I could make a decision. I agree with Sherry. I would wait until the puppy is at least 10 weeks old. I can't wait to see which one is yours!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I personally like the blonde/fawn female! But you need to follow your gut and pick the one that chose you as well. I live in apartment and they have tons of dogs that live here and it was just to much of a risk for me to take so I litter box trained and Lucy took to it really well! Litter box training is not for everyone but I would have been a nervous wreck taking her outside not knowing if the pets around you have had their shots. I agree fromm puppy is a really good food! Most the time the puppy will show you what foods are for then, example some may cause a rash or allergy, a hot spot, yeasty skin, and some will cause the runs that lasts for days at that point the food is not agreeing with them you will know it when and if this happens. The rest of the stuff I think you got it pretty covered! Good luck and please post pictures of your baby soon!

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Wooohoooo, I'm excited for you Odessa! They all look amazing, what a rough decision! I would take a look at the guy in the back laying down with the black patch over his eye. He's got that calm look about him, or her :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Great advice from Sherry, and I would choose the second picture, the one with the half brown and white face, or the black and white pup. There is a great forum on here for name suggestions. Welcome to EBN, and congratulations.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherrie
"I like to pick one that picks me too. one that will sit and watch and then get involved. one that looks you in the eye.
has good healthy breathing, has energy to play, when you call or clap he looks at you. Then for the build, that important for a male. (to me) a nice head and full of wrinkles."
Oh my gosh, that was the brindle boy!

1)the law is 8 weeks old. 10 weeks is old is better. it's a personal choice and also at 10 weeks your puppy is more socialized.
The breeder said he can be picked up @ 8 weeks the earliest, but I agree with you and would prefer he get a little more time with mom and litter mates. Do you think he would still get the same socialization if I leave him with mom a bit longer but the other puppies get picked up?
2) you can do better on the food / Fromm puppy
I agree, I would also like to make him home made. I don't want to through him off changing his food when he just gets on solids, how soon do you think I can switch him over?
3) bathe puppy with a baby shampoo and only bathe when dirty , not too often as it will dry out the skin, I do a final rinse with 1 gal water /1cup vinegar and leave on, then dry Got it, baby shampoo and vinegar on stand by.
4) restrict going away/ visiting until all vaccines are completed I live in a complex with a ton of pets in the area, cats are in my yard all the time (they are not mine). Do you think I can get started with housebreaking or is it too much risk for him to be out in the yard before the second set?
5) feed three times a day, if possible, about 3/4 cup a feeding or equaling 2-1/2 to 3 cups a day
6) I don't know the health of Odessa, so I can't comment.
I think she just suffers from allergies at the moment, she often has swollen sore paws or hot spots (poor girl). I was thinking of having her over for a sleep over the first couple nights to stay with the new pup and help him feel safe in his new surroundings away from mom. Not sure if this is a good plan or not?

get your brindle boy then, I think you're hooked on him, don't second guess your gut. or your heart.

you can change the food immediately, and feed home made at the same time. give one tbsp of plain canned pumpkin with one meal. it'll stiffen' up the poop.
if you can wait until week 10 , do it.
start housebreaking immediately. find a less traveled area and use that to go potty.
if you know Odessa is healthy , share the love. lots of pups come home to other dogs in the house.
everyone should be happy

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello there and :welcome:. you have gotten some good advice so i will just say hi. there are several articles here about bringing home a new puppy and such that you can read. a good puppy food is a good place to start but maybe feed what the breeder was feeding for a week or so to let the pup settle in then bring on the new food. with regards to your moms dog hot spots and swollen paws are usually a sign of a food allergy. perhaps the dog needs a new food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.