Baby on the way

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
Hello fellow eb friends, I have a eb baby on the way. We went to visit our little 6 week old pup twice this weekend and can't wait until it's time to bring our boy home. I had pick of the litter of 8 puppies, what a hard task that was! Which cutie would you choose?

My mom has an EB "Odessa" who is now 7 yrs old. Odessa has had so many health issues that I was really worried (and still am) about picking an EB for our home, but I adore Odessa and her personality so much that I couldn't stop wanting one of our own. I have been reading the EB site for the past couple days to prepare for our little pup, I have so many questions, I am thankful this site is here to help out! Some of the things searching for answers on:
1. What age is ideal for our pup to leave his mom? Is 8 weeks to early?
2. Breeder is starting the pups on Royal puppy, have others been happy with this food?
3. What do you bath you pup (and adult) EB with?
4. Pup will be coming home with only first shots, how much should I restrict outside exposure? What about exposure to Odessa visiting or our pet bunny?
5. How much food should a pup 2-3 months eat?
6. Is there anything that I should be careful of Odessa passing onto the pup?

Thanks so much, we are so excited!
:heart:

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I will let the pros answer all your questions but let me be the first to welcome you to EBN. You are right, how does one chose from all that cuteness!!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I too will let the pros handle those questions. But for which one to choose I say all of them!!! They are all so cute !

If I had to choose something about the one at the top right. I think its cause it is sitting on its bum

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
They are all adorable! Welcome to EBN!

When I pick a puppy out of a litter for myself I have certain guidelines: First is it has to be healthy, second it has to be a male, I like color around both eyes (Ruggles doesn't have this), I prefer red, brindle, or fawn with some white, I really like a straight tail (about 2 & 1/2 " long, I say straight but they all have a little kink). Congratulations!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How do you choose just one!!! OMG.... so amazingly cute.

Myself - I prefer male and red/white... but outside of health being overall important, I look for temperament -- not too pushy, but not shy either.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I like to pick one that picks me too. one that will sit and watch and then get involved. one that looks you in the eye.
has good healthy breathing, has energy to play, when you call or clap he looks at you. Then for the build, that important for a male. (to me) a nice head and full of wrinkles.

1)the law is 8 weeks old. 10 weeks is old is better. it's a personal choice and also at 10 weeks your puppy is more socialized.
2) you can do better on the food / Fromm puppy
3) bathe puppy with a baby shampoo and only bathe when dirty , not too often as it will dry out the skin, I do a final rinse with 1 gal water /1cup vinegar and leave on, then dry
4) restrict going away/ visiting until all vaccines are completed
5) feed three times a day, if possible, about 3/4 cup a feeding or equaling 2-1/2 to 3 cups a day
6) I don't know the health of Odessa, so I can't comment.

I'm excited too and :smileywelcome: to EBN family

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: So which puppy is "yours"? Sherry knows about puppy's and answered your question way better than I ever could. :) I hope you have a long, healthy and happy life together.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Which one did you choose Odessa? It seems by reading between the lines that you have made your pick by referring to your baby and that it was male. You have received some good advice and there is a lot more here when you get your baby boy bully home. If this is your first bully you have a bunch of wonderful surprises and joy ahead of you. And usually a bit of trying times as well. They get their reputation honestly and at times they can be more than a handful but they repay a hundred fold in character and devotion. Your heart will be smitten and won't hardly be able to imagine life without him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry late to this, been in training all day. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] has given you so excellent advise and I have nothing to add but you really need two. :2thumbs: :p Plus welcome to the site.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
OMG I have no idea how you pick only one. They are beautiful and I think you need at least two. Then they can keep each other company and you will only have to do the puppy stage once. Can't wait to see which one you chose.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I like to pick one that picks me too. one that will sit and watch and then get involved. one that looks you in the eye.
has good healthy breathing, has energy to play, when you call or clap he looks at you. Then for the build, that important for a male. (to me) a nice head and full of wrinkles.

1)the law is 8 weeks old. 10 weeks is old is better. it's a personal choice and also at 10 weeks your puppy is more socialized.
2) you can do better on the food / Fromm puppy
3) bathe puppy with a baby shampoo and only bathe when dirty , not too often as it will dry out the skin, I do a final rinse with 1 gal water /1cup vinegar and leave on, then dry
4) restrict going away/ visiting until all vaccines are completed
5) feed three times a day, if possible, about 3/4 cup a feeding or equaling 2-1/2 to 3 cups a day
6) I don't know the health of Odessa, so I can't comment.

I'm excited too and :smileywelcome: to EBN family

Agree completely with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]. However depending on what age they come home will depend on how much per feeding, at 8 weeks old they are only at around 1/2 cup but by 10-12 weeks they are at 3/4 cup :up:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy:

All precious Pups!! But I'm partial to "kissing spots"!!!!!

Jake was the pick of the litter too..of 6 brothers... I knew right away...Congrats to you...and Welcome!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They are all so cute but the third one (forth picture down) the fawn, oh my....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN. You are getting good advice so I'll just say, glad to have you here! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.