Sir George of Grey County

Gummiente

Apr 8, 2013
Grey County, Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello to all from Ontario, Canada. I found this forum during a Google search for help on Bulldogs peeing in their crates (more on that in a minute) and after looking around I decided to sign on. Three months ago I was adopted by a Bully from a Bulldog Rescue located close to where I work. Bit of a sad story, he apparently broke his left rear leg in a nasty fall when he was 3mo old and his owners at the time immediately surrendered him to their local pound. Apparently they could not afford the surgery, but nobody is completely sure of the exact reason. Unfortunately, the bone wouldn't heal - due in part to his version of "crate rest" as lying on his side and doing a continuous breakdance spin with his good leg - and he had a total of three surgeries to try and correct the problem. On the third surgery it was decided to amputate the leg, after he recovered he wound up at the Bulldog rescue. Around nine months later he bounded into my life after I answered an ad on Kijiji. Two years ago I had to put down Hector The Wonder Dog, an Australian Cattle Dog with many medical issues who had been a part of my life for 12 years, and it took awhile before I realised that I simply do not function well without a dog in my life and began the search for a new companion. My list of must-haves was short and non-negotiable; the dog had to be friendly, good with people, good with cats (my wife has two) and good with traveling in vehicles (I have a 1hr commute to work). Mary, the lovely lady who runs the Rescue, assured me over the phone that one of her dogs fit these requirements was nice enough to bring him to where I work for our first meeting. Well, the very minute I first laid eyes on him I just knew he was the dog I was looking for and brought him into our home. From a breederā€™s standpoint there are apparently all kinds of things wrong with him; his head is too narrow, his shoulders are too narrow, his overbite too long, his body too long, etc, but that doesnā€™t matter one bit to me. What does matter is his character and he is loaded with it. Heā€™s 50lb of goofy in a 40lb bag and happy to be a dog ā€“ you cannot help but smile and melt the first time you meet him, he is all heart. Because of his overbite and facial expression I decided that ā€œSir George Of Grey Countyā€ was a good name for him. George is a proper English name, we happen to live in Grey County (which has an English history to it) and he has a facial expression that can best be described as the character John Cleese played in the ā€œUpper Class Twit of the Yearā€ episode on the Monty Python Show. Trust me, it fits. Youā€™ll know what I mean if you ever meet George in person. It has been working out real well and it took very little time for him to work his way into our hearts. There were a couple of hiccups initially, as could be expected due to his having to adjust to a new lifestyle and routine, but we managed to work through them. A few weeks ago, though, he began the habit of peeing in his crate at night time and I was unsuccessful in correcting that behaviour. A search on Google brought up this very forum, where I learned that this sort of behaviour was common in Bullies and how to correct it; simply remove all manner of bedding or padding from the crate and limit his water intake 3hrs before bed. Worked like a charm and we havenā€™t had any incidents since. Despite his missing leg he gets around quite well and loves going for his morning walkies. I work at a motorcycle shop and he has quickly settled into his new job there as Official Shop Dog; greeting new and returning customers at the door, providing comic relief, keeping the floors clean by sampling anything and everything that can fit in his mouth (and he has a big mouth), testing each new sidecar we bring in to ensure it is comfortable enough and personally inspecting each new tool that I bring out before letting me use it on a customerā€™s bike. And before anyone jumps in, yes, I do make sure that any and all chemicals and fluids are kept well out of reach and any spills are immediately wiped up. I run a clean shop and regularly sweep the floors, but he always manages to find a piece of electrical tape, rubber grommet, plastic cable tie, etc, to chew on. Despite my best efforts, the concrete floors are impossible to keep dust free and by the end of the day he is coated in a fine grey tint from all his rolling about. His favourite place to be is anywhere that Iā€™m at, so I always make sure his thick piece of cardboard is lying close by so he can sit on it and watch while I work. And now that the warm weather is finally upon us, he will begin his training soon as my Loyal Sidecar Ballast and heā€™ll learn how to ride in our Harley sidecar bike. My apologies for the long winded into, Iā€™ll shut up now. Hereā€™s some gratuitous pics of Georgeā€¦

Attachments

• Erin-20130403-00472.jpg
    Erin-20130403-00472.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 311
  • West Grey-20130304-00404.jpg
    West Grey-20130304-00404.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Erin-20130102-00156.jpg
    Erin-20130102-00156.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow! That's a wonderful intro! I am continually impressed by what troopers these guys are. Even with his very rough start, he knows he's a very lucky Bully! Bravo to you for rescuing him! He's a wonderful ..handsome Bully..and I'm so happy you've joined up! We know a few dogs with 3 legs and they do as well as many with 4! Thanks for the great story..and pictures! :D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN! Im glad the site has been helpful to you and that you decided to join. Whatever questions you have just ask..... the knowledge base here is amazing!
btw: We live about a mile from Harley's main plant in Milwaukee. ;)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Fab. intro.
:smileywelcome: to EBN, it's great to have you and Sir George here. Looking forward to hearing more stories and of course, seeing more pics of your precious bullie. :luv:

P.S. My bullie sleeps the exact same way yours does in that second pic (when he's in his crate). On his side, head on top of whatever's there.

OP
Gummiente

Gummiente

Apr 8, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the warm welcomes, folks. I'll try to get my profile completed soon and start posting, but I'm currently having issues with the forum software. It's sending my computer into conniption fits every time I try to post or upload an attachment, but I think I know what the problem is. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about these fine dogs from y'all!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and bless you for adopting him and giving him a loving fur-ever home. He is a handsome boy for sure, and looking forward in seeing more pics of him and hearing more stories too.

OP
Gummiente

Gummiente

Apr 8, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Never heard of that make in the uk.
I though I looked like an older bike. Why did you get rid
They were previously sold in the UK under the brand name of "Cossack" until about 5 years ago, now they are sold as "Ural" - with left hand sidecar, of course.

OP
Gummiente

Gummiente

Apr 8, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
This is what George's new sidecar looked like just after I installed it. The bike is being painted black to match the sidecar... Erin-20121130-00040.jpg

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am just head over heels in love with Sir George( by the way, a properly fitting name!) what a heart wrenching story, and God Bless you and your wife for letting him adopt you! He will live like a king, I am sure! Just love e side car too! Keep pics and stories coming. I think you should change his name to KING George!!

Most Reactions