Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to EBN :)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gene "The Demon"
    Likes (Received)

Default New to EBN :)

...and i already need help

well let me start off by saying my Name is Edwin but Ed for shorts. I just became the father of a beautiful male, now 15 week old, white and brindle bully about 3 weeks ago. thing is he started off fine, very playful and cuddly but lately he's become more and more aggressive and wont listen. just last night i was playing with him and he suddenly jumped at me and bit me, he opened up my lip and part of my chin pretty good .

so i guess my question is what can i do? are most bully puppies like this? if i can have any tips or ideas i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New to EBN :)

First off Welcome to EBN you just became a member of the greatest EB community EVER!!! Secondly i am so sorry you are having these issues with your baby boy. I would recommend asserting your dominance with him. Flip him over on his back hold him down with your hands on his underarms and with a very serious face stare into his eyes. He may wiggle and struggle but DO NOT let him up until he looks away from you an submits. I recently had to do this with my puppy who is 9 mnths old. Also anytime he gets a little to rough during playing, again be stern and serious and say PSSST!! you can clap your hands when you do this too. Also a time out NEVER hurt. Put him in his crate when he starts to get rough to let him know if he can't play nice....he can't play at all. I am sure you will get ALOT more info. Hope this helped!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Welcome to EBN! I don't have any experience with this issue but gatorfan suggested some good tips and I'm sure others will chime in with more.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Welcome Ed...what is your Bully's name? would love to see pics!

I agree with Gatorfan, you have to make sure he understands that you are the pack lead... the pack lead doesn't get disrespected like that. Good luck, keep us updated.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)

I agree w gatorfan as well sometimes spike who is 10 months now tries to show us he is the boss but doesn't realize he isn't we just have to remind him "hey I'm the boss!" we usually do timeout or take away his toys. My husband likes to play rough w him but he knows he can only do that with him. Good luck & welcome to EBN!
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to ebn! I am of no help either but I like gatorfans response so far and I do know you will get more from other members who are better with training issues. We would LOVE pics of your little pup, can never have too many around here. Also ask any questions you have, dont be shy. Bullies are a learing experience thats for sure and we all have many random questions that come up from time to time.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! You will absolutely this site! Silva is not really aggressive but she can be very playful with my youngest daughter and will bite and nip and bark at her (I think she thinks that she is a littermate because they are similiar in size) and we use the time out and after a few times of putting her there now all we have to do is say it and she understands! Hopefully you will find something that works for you and your bully soon! Take care. Oh and also some days were she is extra playful we will take her for an extra walk or run around in the backyard to let off some steam and get tired!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Great advice so far, just as with kids being consistent with discipline and saying the same commands. It will take dedication on your part, but the more you follow through the sooner puppies understand.

Very glad you joined our community!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

welcome!!! yes show him whos boss!!! if my dogs hear me say NO SIR, or i middle name them they know there fixin to get in trouble and they stop... sounds like he is trying to be the pack leader, dont be afraid to spank his butt and tell him no either!!!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Winston was this way when he was about that age. We all have had busted lips or bruises from him "playing" with us. You really do need to make it known that YOU are Alfa and the tips Gatorfan gave you are excellent! My bullies get time-outs when they are naughty....a few mins in their crate with no attention. They hate not getting attention!!!!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If you are playing and the pup puts his mouth on you..yelp (or make a wounded sound) give him something to put in his mouth...and ignore him. They can't stand to be ignored. Trust me, if you don't nip this in the bud, you will have an O on your hands. (If you look around the site, it won't take you long to figure out what I mean) They have to learn not to put their teeth on you. Anytime teeth are on your skin, play ends immediately. No exceptions. Give them something that they can chew on and walk away.

Or, you can do the pebbles in an empty water bottle and shake it when they put thier mouth on you. (if you're lucky, it will startle him...if you're unlucky, they just discovered a new toy!!)
    We tried pot lids..they worked great until they got used to the sound. Got luck! And welcome!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Ed. Chester sometimes can jump and try to play like that. He truly doesn't know what he's doing I think. We were talking about this issue at puppy school tonight and the trainer said if they are playing and bite you..let out a very loud "ouch" and leave him alone for a while. Don't know if that would help. Chester rarely does it.
    It's a Bully thing <3

When the bully was created, it licked the hand of God and God stroked its head, saying, "What do you want, baby bully?" It replied, "My Lord, I want to stay with you, in heaven, on a mat in front of the gate."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads