New to EBN :)

Gene_the demon

Oct 22, 2010
El Paso, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Gene "The Demon"
...and i already need help :(

well let me start off by saying my Name is Edwin but Ed for shorts. I just became the father of a beautiful male, now 15 week old, white and brindle bully about 3 weeks ago. thing is he started off fine, very playful and cuddly but lately he's become more and more aggressive and wont listen. just last night i was playing with him and he suddenly jumped at me and bit me, he opened up my lip and part of my chin pretty good :*(.

so i guess my question is what can i do? are most bully puppies like this? if i can have any tips or ideas i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
First off Welcome to EBN you just became a member of the greatest EB community EVER!!! Secondly i am so sorry you are having these issues with your baby boy. I would recommend asserting your dominance with him. Flip him over on his back hold him down with your hands on his underarms and with a very serious face stare into his eyes. He may wiggle and struggle but DO NOT let him up until he looks away from you an submits. I recently had to do this with my puppy who is 9 mnths old. Also anytime he gets a little to rough during playing, again be stern and serious and say PSSST!! you can clap your hands when you do this too. Also a time out NEVER hurt. Put him in his crate when he starts to get rough to let him know if he can't play nice....he can't play at all. I am sure you will get ALOT more info. Hope this helped!!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Welcome Ed...what is your Bully's name? would love to see pics!

I agree with Gatorfan, you have to make sure he understands that you are the pack lead... the pack lead doesn't get disrespected like that. Good luck, keep us updated.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
I agree w gatorfan as well sometimes spike who is 10 months now tries to show us he is the boss but doesn't realize he isn't we just have to remind him "hey I'm the boss!" we usually do timeout or take away his toys. My husband likes to play rough w him but he knows he can only do that with him. Good luck & welcome to EBN!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome to ebn! I am of no help either but I like gatorfans response so far and I do know you will get more from other members who are better with training issues. We would LOVE pics of your little pup, can never have too many around here. Also ask any questions you have, dont be shy. Bullies are a learing experience thats for sure and we all have many random questions that come up from time to time.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Welcome! You will absolutely :heart: this site! Silva is not really aggressive but she can be very playful with my youngest daughter and will bite and nip and bark at her (I think she thinks that she is a littermate because they are similiar in size) and we use the time out and after a few times of putting her there now all we have to do is say it and she understands! Hopefully you will find something that works for you and your bully soon! Take care. Oh and also some days were she is extra playful we will take her for an extra walk or run around in the backyard to let off some steam and get tired!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! Great advice so far, just as with kids being consistent with discipline and saying the same commands. It will take dedication on your part, but the more you follow through the sooner puppies understand.

Very glad you joined our community!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
welcome!!! yes show him whos boss!!! if my dogs hear me say NO SIR, or i middle name them they know there fixin to get in trouble and they stop... sounds like he is trying to be the pack leader, dont be afraid to spank his butt and tell him no either!!!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Winston was this way when he was about that age. We all have had busted lips or bruises from him "playing" with us. You really do need to make it known that YOU are Alfa and the tips Gatorfan gave you are excellent! My bullies get time-outs when they are naughty....a few mins in their crate with no attention. They hate not getting attention!!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
If you are playing and the pup puts his mouth on you..yelp (or make a wounded sound) give him something to put in his mouth...and ignore him. They can't stand to be ignored. Trust me, if you don't nip this in the bud, you will have an O on your hands. (If you look around the site, it won't take you long to figure out what I mean) They have to learn not to put their teeth on you. Anytime teeth are on your skin, play ends immediately. No exceptions. Give them something that they can chew on and walk away.

Or, you can do the pebbles in an empty water bottle and shake it when they put thier mouth on you. (if you're lucky, it will startle him...if you're unlucky, they just discovered a new toy!!)
We tried pot lids..they worked great until they got used to the sound. Got luck! And welcome!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Welcome Ed. Chester sometimes can jump and try to play like that. He truly doesn't know what he's doing I think. We were talking about this issue at puppy school tonight and the trainer said if they are playing and bite you..let out a very loud "ouch" and leave him alone for a while. Don't know if that would help. Chester rarely does it.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome Ed and Gene the Demon. Hopefully with some alpha training he can become Gene the angel :bully:

OP
Gene_the demon

Gene_the demon

Oct 22, 2010
El Paso, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Gene "The Demon"
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Yes his name is Gene "The Demon" i will try to upload some pics pretty soon. Thanks for the great advise i will certainly try it out, my main concern was that eventually he'd go off on my little brothers (6&13) but he seems to do well with them. i will keep you guys updated and as i said pics are on the way. :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.