Hello from Shari and Miss Lucy

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Hello!
We've had our girl, Miss Lucy (also known to be called Lucy Lu, Lucy Goosey) for two weeks. We've always had boxers, but after my last girl, Gimli, died from hemangiosarcoma (sp?) we decided we wanted a less hyper (at this stage of our lives-I'm already home, husband retires in one year) dog but still that lovable smooshy face.
Lucy is 10 months old and was returned to the breeder when the couple that bought her divorced. My husband and I decided that it was time to get a new baby; Gimli has been gone almost a year. I had been looking for a month or two, reading and talking to different breeders when I found Lucy's pics on the breeder's website. It was love at first site. four days later she was riding home with us!

Lucy has settled into our home beautifully! She is housetrained and the sweetest little girl. I have entered the twilight zone of finding a good vet for an English Bulldog. Thank God for Jan, the breeder as she has guided us along.
The last Vet I interviewed told me that grains aren't the cause of allergies, that protein is :confused: ; that goes against most of what I've read; thus, why I sought out a group of bully owners!

I look forward to meeting you all!
Shari

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and looking forward in seeing pics of Lucy. She sounds like a sweetie.

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
Welcome! I'm new to owning or being owned by a bulldog too! Definitely a learning curve! But worth it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to both you and Miss Lucy!

Grains are an issue... my boy was very allergic to Rice and would vomit every time he ate any of it.

Now -- where are ... :pics:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hello Shari :welcome3: to EBN glad you and Lucy joined ... looking forward to seeing lots of pictures!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: they have you at the smooshy faces, don't they? :rolleyes: so glad you found your way here and a vet that has experience :2thumbs:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Hello and Welcome! I agree, we need pictures, please. :-)
Sorry I can't help you with your questions, but I did want to say I'm sorry about the loss of your precious girl Gimli! I too lost a boxer, Gracie, before we decided on an English Bulldog. We just couldn't have an empty house...its so hard when we loose our precious babies, they are just never with us long enough.

Hope you stick around!

Gemma

Mar 28, 2013
Southport, UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Hey! I'm a newbie too. Would love to see Lucy. My Archie is 2 in May, and I'm utterly bulldog obsessed! I heard that grain thing too, Archie has been on royal canin for over a year he gets irritated itchy skin in summer but as its seasonal despite what the vet says I really don't think it's food related.

Hi all!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN............If you survive puppy-hood you will end up with a wonderful retirement companion. When I retired is when HRH came to rule here. Its great to be owned by a bully!!!! Have fun and I hope you enjoy the website. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:D Welcome! Sounds like a match that was meant to be! Hope you jump right in and make yourself at home! As far as food..grain is most certainly an issue for tons of Bully's! I'm not certain I understand the protein thing that your vet is speaking of...so I will pass. We have many members who can probably help.

Enjoy! :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I reread what you said about finding a vet. Have you checked the Vet finder on this site? These are mostly vets that have been recommended by members. Bullies are definately different animals and take a bit of understanding on the vets part. Most vets are not good dietitians either so Im not surprised and the answer you got about grains. Again, EBN has a Food Rating list made by bully people. Most of the vets only want to sell what food they have,(often Science Diet, because it sounds official) lol. If you need some help with diet I suggest you start a separate threat in the appropriate forum and you will get some very good help.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I reread what you said about finding a vet. Have you checked the Vet finder on this site? These are mostly vets that have been recommended by members. Bullies are definately different animals and take a bit of understanding on the vets part. Most vets are not good dietitians either so Im not surprised and the answer you got about grains. Again, EBN has a Food Rating list made by bully people. Most of the vets only want to sell what food they have,(often Science Diet, because it sounds official) lol. If you need some help with diet I suggest you start a separate threat in the appropriate forum and you will get some very good help.
You are so right, Bruce! The fact that most vets carry Science Diet in their practices was the first indication I had they knew little about nutrition! I think they get quite a kick back from the company. :D I wish we could do more to educate them. I heard from one vet that they had half a semester in nutrition while in veterinary school. She's a vet who has made pet nutrition her life's work. She's taught me so much!

OP
shobbsie

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. My internet was out late last night and this morning, so I'm just now getting back on. I added a pic of Lucy for my profile pic; it shows up on my profile, but not my posts. I'll play with it a bit more.

I'm looking forward to reading through many of the threads. I will add (I hope I didn't go into this in my OP) the Vet suggested I stick with proteins other than chicken. She said said BDs usually do better with proteins like lamb, duck, or venison. This probably goes in another thread, but I was feeding Nutra Naturals young adult as that is what the breeder was feeding her (I have no idea what her former owner was feeding her; breeder only had her back a week when we picked her up). I picked up some lamb Nature's Logic. I'm just adding a small amount to the Naturals. I see a lot of people feed Fromms. I'm in a smaller community and none of the stores carry it; however, I don't mind ordering.

Again, thanks...now on to the food/nutrition area. :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online